Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Dazed and Confused

The only white glue I can find is Elmer's School Glue. I'll keep searching.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Rocket Dad

"School Glue" not so great. Elmer's "Glue All" is the stuff you want. Just try a different isle. Most stores have both but may not be in the same section as glue sticks or school glue.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo
"School Glue" not so great. Elmer's "Glue All" is the stuff you want. Just try a different isle. Most stores have both but may not be in the same section as glue sticks or school glue.

I'm just talking about here at the house. I'm not going to make a special trip to town just for the glue. Paint, maybe...but not glue.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Forest Sprite

I wouldn't use a rub-on glue stick for this process. I don't think it would have a strong enough bond. Elmer's Glue-All is fine as long as you spread it out thin and, most especially, evenly so that you don't get wrinkles in the paper. Wrinkling can arise as an issue if you use thin paper or Tyvek. You can avoid it if you use a bit more care when you join the paper to the wood and again when you subsequently place the fins into your homemade press (couple of heavy books, panes of glass, etc.) to dry. One of the reasons that I specifically prefer to use Aleene's Quick-Dry Tacky Glue is that it doesn't have quite as high of a water content compared to Elmer's and so it doesn't get the paper, especially thin sheets like Tyvek, as damp (and therefore more prone to wrinkling). Applying a smooth even layer of the glue using a spreader and a squeegee-like action has worked really well for me.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 06-02-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Rocket Dad

I hear you, Zep, I'm 12mi from the nearest convenience store and 15mi from Home Depot or Grocery.

Honestly, for laminating fins, School Glue should be just fine. It's not like they're going to get any heat.

Mark, glue sticks work great, not as well as Glue All but work pretty good with copy paper. Like I said earlier, I generally use card stock. If the kit is light enough, I'll just use self stick label paper for ease in finishing. Label paper lends some support but not much IMOP.

I do use glue sticks quite a bit to roll motor tubes. It's plenty for 13mm through 24mm with 110lb card stock which is all I use to roll motor tubes.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Forest Sprite

Well maybe the glue sticks that I have used were too dry then, because they didn't create very solid bonds when I used them for paper rockets and cardmodeling. I realize that you probably don't do any of your rocket building outside in the blazing hot sun, but still I wonder if perhaps your significantly warmer weather in AZ may also have helped by keeping the glue in the stick softer before you applied it.

I can easily see how self-stick label paper would work quite well as so many people have reported. This technique was written up in the old Estes Industries Model Rocket News way back in the early or mid 1960s, and Estes even used to sell sheets of the paper. I remember reading about it in my 1969 Estes catalog. I haven't had a chance to try it yet because I can't find whole sheets of label stock anywhere around here, and I have been looking for a couple of years now. Labels yes, uncut label stock, no. Too bad I can't order it from Estes anymore.

I can't say that I have ever used Elmer's School Glue on very many occasions in my lifetime, but again I would be concerned that it would be rather watery and therefore liable to produce wrinkles or puddle marks in anything thinner than 110# cardstock.
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Dazed and Confused

Full sheet Avery label stock is what I had trouble with after hitting it with lacquer primer. I don't use it for that now, but I did keep it around for occasional quick and dirty decal making.

You can't order it from Estes, but you can from just about everywhere else. Full sheet Avery labels.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Dazed and Confused

Oh...I found some freezer paper. Decided to use Elmer's school glue since I couldn't find any glue-all. I might do a test some yellow glue while I'm at it.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Full sheet Avery label stock is what I had trouble with after hitting it with lacquer primer. I don't use it for that now, but I did keep it around for occasional quick and dirty decal making.

That's what I initially used for my Goony decals, but it washes out when you print on it, then washes out worse when you clearcoat it. I think my 1:1 Zoom Broom still has the sticker decals. Looks terrible.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 06-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:

If the delamination started at the edges of the paper, then possibly sealing them with CA might have prevented it. If you got bubbles and delamination closer to the middle of the fin (and it didn't creep in from the edge) then the label stock might have absorbed too much of the lacquer thinner, which then broke down the backing glue.

Quote:
You can't order it from Estes, but you can from just about everywhere else. Full sheet Avery labels.

Aha! There they are! Amazon has just about everything, don't they?

But, well yeah, if I wanted to order it online...

The real problem is that I never seem to think of it until I walk by a shelf of Avery labels in a store, and then I remember that I want to get some of those whole sheets. But the stores never ever have them.
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011