Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 05:10 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Those pictures look like they are paper casings like Estes - they might be end burners or drilled out core burners

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 07-31-2011, 06:20 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
I was present when they were static tested and saw the thrust curves.
Unfortunately I didn't memorize the results, sorry.

If you can draw the general shape of the thrust curve, we can probably tell what type they are.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazookadale
Those pictures look like they are paper casings like Estes - they might be end burners or drilled out core burners

The casings on these engines are rock solid and are nothing like Estes paper tubes.

Here is a representative picture of the flame coming out the engines.
The picture is blurred. In real life the impulses are seen much more clearly. The exhaust flame looks fantastic

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Craftsman

Default German Market

That is bad to hear about one manufacturer going out but good to hear about a new one coming in. I would like to ask on the price difference between the German motors and Estes, how much is tarrif and duties and how much is actual price? In the late 70's we(FSI) started doing a limited business in Germany. The importer's name I believe was Wolfgang Carstien. Forgive me if the spelling is off. Very nice man. I remember hearing the price was going to be much higher in Germany over USA. Please keep everyone informed with the new motors and their performance.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 AM

I actually have 1 unused 1982 FSI engine purchased from Wolfgang Carstens.

(As reference an Estes C6-7 pack costs 10.49 Euro = $14.97)

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Craftsman

Default German Market

That is very cool Leo.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM

Here the thrust curves of the pictured (-1) engines:

Old 08-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Launching since 1970.

Obviously an interesting propellant. End burning with the small core at the nozzle end that produces the peak thrust, just like Estes black powder motors. Could this propellant be similar to the Widowmaker propellant? Those were endburners.

The nozzles in the photos look interesting. Are they poured in or pressed in during motor loading? Is the tiny core and the nozzle formed during loading or are they drilled post loading?

I wonder if these have any automated loading or assembly steps or if they are hand made?

Of coourse, the propellant could be a pressed composite instead of a poured and cured composite.

I look forward to more details or comments from motor making experts.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
rocket dinosaur

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Obviously an interesting propellant. End burning with the small core at the nozzle end that produces the peak thrust, just like Estes black powder motors. Could this propellant be similar to the Widowmaker propellant? Those were endburners.

The nozzles in the photos look interesting. Are they poured in or pressed in during motor loading? Is the tiny core and the nozzle formed during loading or are they drilled post loading?

I wonder if these have any automated loading or assembly steps or if they are hand made?

Of coourse, the propellant could be a pressed composite instead of a poured and cured composite.

I look forward to more details or comments from motor making experts.

according to the Widowmakers brought back by Bernie Biales in the 1972 MIT Journal the Widowmakers were composed of potassium picrate, ammonium perchlorate, and nitrocellulose.

propellant chemistry has greatly improved since then so I doubt that these new German composites contain any NC or picrates.....BAM would never ok them. They are considered primary and high explosives. I would make an educated guess they are simply APCP.

I'm nowhere near a motor making expert (although I will play one for a few seconds here) but I would also guess that since they are endburners and they use paper cases with a composite propellant the propellant probably burns as fast as typical BP and that the chamber pressures are < 300-400 psi.

As far as the rest of your questions, Leo might be able to answer them or Robert Klima, the manufacturer could I'm sure. His phone number is on the web at his website.

When these were first announced at the Nuremberg 2011 Toy Fair I thought I read they were pressed composites. By pressed I also mean granulated as thats how the APCP in the Czech Rapiers were made and they were essentially long duration endburners. I could be wrong. In fact all my guesses above could be wrong as they are pure speculation.

Hey Leo...how about an interview with Robert Klima?

Terry Dean
Old 08-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz

Hey Leo...how about an interview with Robert Klima?

Terry Dean

Send me your questions via PM and I'll see what I can do.