Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer
I've built both the single and double glider versions and have flown them several times. The only pod trouble I ever had was when I used it for a 1/2 A BG contest flight last year and I got TWO red barons in a row! I had launched the exact same one at the same site the previous month and it worked perfectly three times. This is my 5th or 6th clone in the last few years.

Joe W

That's great! My Mini-Dactyl has suffered pod separations each time I've flown it, and last
year at the Tex Regional meet in McGregor, TX (Father's Day launch), I think long time rocketeer and NAR member Andrew Condors (from the Dallas area) attempted to fly his
and the very same thing happened.

That's why I usually stick with something that has proven to be reliable and a consistent
winner, such as my original CMR Buzzard, Orbitron, and Manta (those names ring any bells?!).
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
I don't guess half-finishing two rockets for every new one you start helps much, does it?

That's pretty close to what's got me in this cluttered up room full of unpainted rockets situation.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Knuckle Draggin' Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
That's great! My Mini-Dactyl has suffered pod separations each time I've flown it, and last
year at the Tex Regional meet in McGregor, TX (Father's Day launch), I think long time rocketeer and NAR member Andrew Condors (from the Dallas area) attempted to fly his
and the very same thing happened.

That's why I usually stick with something that has proven to be reliable and a consistent
winner, such as my original CMR Buzzard, Orbitron, and Manta (those names ring any bells?!).

Yes they do. I've got all the stuff together to clone a Buzzard one of these days.

Joe W
Old 07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Master Modeler

Default And An Upscaled Buzzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer
Yes they do. I've got all the stuff together to clone a Buzzard one of these days.

Joe W

Plus, I have what amount to an upscaled CMR Buzzard that's used for the 18 mm B/G & R/G
competition flights that's been a consistent winner. All of the CMR gliders I mentioned in my
previous posts (except the Orbitron) were built way back in the mid to late 1970's and have
managed to survive the unknown number of flights (and crashes) as well as the various
relocations (moves) I've made through the time I became a BAR in late 2003 (yes, they
laid in storage for some 20+ years). You would think because gliders look fragile (and they
are), they'd have gone through the balsa recycling center long, long ago...
Old 07-12-2006, 05:05 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default In the Q

Well, where to begin Currently working on a Scout III (final primed, ready for last sanding before paint). Also, the Quest Force 5 (ready for first prime coat). I've got the fins cut and filled for a cloned Scorpius from PD Rocketry and will be starting to attach them tonight. After those three, and probably in this order, there's the A-20 Demon from PD Rocketry and then a Canaroc Black Brant III. In between, complete the spiral filling on my Estes Voyager II and get it primed. By then, I hope Phred has come through for me and I'll start building the rest of his Goonies line Got all these Baby Berthas begging to be something. The problem here is the humidity. Probably have to wait till fall to get any final paint done. But heck, I've got plenty to do. Winter projects.....1/30 scale Little Joe from Sheri's Hot Rockets and Sandman's Vostok (if I get those two done, I'll start on his LTV Scout, yes there really was one in the box )

Don
NAR 53455
Old 07-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Master Modeler

I have maybe two-dozen major projects I started and abandoned through the years, some big, some small. Notables include rebulding an original Estes Saturn Ib (waiting for Semroc fins), an original Mars Lander, and two SF-ish "Triplanetary Patrol" frigates.

Plus maybe a dozen newer kits I'd like to build . . .

And maybe half a dozen repair projects . . .

What I'm working on right now: Two BT-80H based sport flyers with boat tails, fake nozzles, and giant fiberglassed balsa fins. I'm waiting for a day when my neighbors are away to run my belt sander on the balcony, to smooth the fins in preparation for the next layer of fiberglass.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:00 PM
BAR

Hmm, the next ye olde build would be a bomarc clone. Picked up the parts at narcon, just can't decide whether to build the glider or chute version.

-Paul
Old 07-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Master Modeler

I know that John Thro is probably going to be all over this like pigeons on popcorn since I've kidded him enough about not painting his Rokitflite Odyssey after having it built for a year.

I've got an Estes Skydart and an Estes Shrike that are built, sealed and only need painting and have been that way since 1972. I need a set of decals for the Shrike but it's the same ones used on the Astron Constellation so I can get a set from Excelsior.

I've decided to paint them next and fly them this summer. I mentioned the Skydart at a CMASS launch earlier this year so I get asked if it's done and ready to fly at every launch now.

After them, I have a Sirius Rocketry Refit Atlantis that is 90% done, an Art Applewhite saucer half done and a Semroc Jaguar that is half done. I have a backlog of about 50 unopened kits and enough parts for perhaps 25 more.

I have a Sandman Vostok for when I think I'm ready for the challenge.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:39 PM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
I know that John Thro is probably going to be all over this like pigeons on popcorn since I've kidded him enough about not painting his Rokitflite Odyssey after having it built for a year.
Huh? Pigeons like popcorn?
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRThro
Huh? Pigeons like popcorn?

Pigeons are like flying goats.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2