Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Master Modeler

Default White Glue Users

I have always used Elmers white glue with great results but then they changed the forumla and not it is junk. Titebond origianl wood glue is great but I don't like the yellow staining it leaves behind especially on my freeflight airplanes. Today I was at Lowe's and I found a new Titebond glue called translucent wood glue. It is exactly the same forumla as Titebond Wood glue but it dries clear.
Titebond's Translucent Wood Glue and No-Run, No-Drip Wood Glue
Titebond debuted two brand new glues at AWFS® Fair 2011: Translucent Wood Glue and No-Run, No-Drip Wood Glue. Here are the 2 new glues from Titebond.

"Titebond Translucent Wood Glue has all the characteristics of Titebond Original Wood Glue but leaves virtually invisible glue lines when dry. In other words, woodworkers won’t be able to see what makes Franklin International’s newest Titebond wood glue so unique. Besides the transparent glue lines, Titebond Translucent Wood Glue also provides excellent bond strength, a four-to-six-minute working time and shorter clamp time. Once cured, Titebond Translucent offers higher heat resistance than typical PVA glues for more durable bonds over time and better sanding characteristics. And, because the glue is non-toxic, it’s a safe glue to use when introducing children to woodworking.

Titebond's No-Run, No-Drip Wood Glue is the highest viscosity PVA wood glue on the market. It stays right where it’s put, for easy, neat gluing of interior trim carpentry or small trim pieces on cabinets and furniture. It has a faster dry time then Titebond's Molding and Trim Glue, yet still provides three to five minutes of open time for repositioning. Its strong initial tack holds trim in place. "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  8-oz_-titebond-translucent-wood-glue.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  34.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  037083624038xl.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  89.5 KB  
Old 08-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Master Modeler

My quibble with yellow glue (alphetic resin): The shrink factor. It's hard to get gap-free fillets, and it leaves a ring on the outside of body tubes when used with engine mounts.

I use white glue for those specific purposes. I'd welcome alternatives.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Old Submariner

I use epoxy almost exclusively for rings and for fillets. It doesn't shrink that I know of, and if you use a medium cure time epoxy for internal rings and couplers, it has a sort of "lube" effect.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Master Modeler

I like to use Gorilla Glue brand white wood glue. It dries clear and sands easily. It has sufficient tack that allows you to make minor adjustment to fins before drying.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Master Modeler

Gorilla white glue? The only wood glue I have seen dries brown/tan. I saw a white glue made by Gorilla, but the directions stated both surfaces had to be moist.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Gorilla white glue? The only wood glue I have seen dries brown/tan. I saw a white glue made by Gorilla, but the directions stated both surfaces had to be moist.

The stuff I'm refering too can be found here: http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues/woodglue/index.aspx

I bought mine at Wal-Mart
Old 08-26-2011, 08:43 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I have always used Elmers white glue with great results but then they changed the forumla and not it is junk. Titebond origianl wood glue is great but I don't like the yellow staining it leaves behind especially on my freeflight airplanes. Today I was at Lowe's and I found a new Titebond glue called translucent wood glue. It is exactly the same forumla as Titebond Wood glue but it dries clear.
Titebond's Translucent Wood Glue and No-Run, No-Drip Wood Glue
Titebond debuted two brand new glues at AWFS® Fair 2011: Translucent Wood Glue and No-Run, No-Drip Wood Glue. Here are the 2 new glues from Titebond.

"Titebond Translucent Wood Glue has all the characteristics of Titebond Original Wood Glue but leaves virtually invisible glue lines when dry. In other words, woodworkers won’t be able to see what makes Franklin International’s newest Titebond wood glue so unique. Besides the transparent glue lines, Titebond Translucent Wood Glue also provides excellent bond strength, a four-to-six-minute working time and shorter clamp time. Once cured, Titebond Translucent offers higher heat resistance than typical PVA glues for more durable bonds over time and better sanding characteristics. And, because the glue is non-toxic, it’s a safe glue to use when introducing children to woodworking.

Titebond's No-Run, No-Drip Wood Glue is the highest viscosity PVA wood glue on the market. It stays right where it’s put, for easy, neat gluing of interior trim carpentry or small trim pieces on cabinets and furniture. It has a faster dry time then Titebond's Molding and Trim Glue, yet still provides three to five minutes of open time for repositioning. Its strong initial tack holds trim in place. "

SO does the No-Run, No-Drip replace the the TMTG, or is it an alternative product offered along side TMTG?? I REALLY like TMTG for fillets and such-- no runs, no drips, and virtually no detectable shrinkage as it dries. Virtually no pinholes and such as it dries and when dry it's almost completely clear.

As for the Transparent wood glue, have you used it?? Is it pretty much a drop-in replacement for white glue or does it have the shrink issues of regular yellow wood glues?? (I HATE that "sucked in ring" around the body tube you get from using yellow wood glue to install motor mounts-- so while I sometimes use yellow wood glue to mount the centering rings to the motor tube, I always use white glue to install the motor mount/rings inside the main body tube to eliminate that shrinkage induced ring. Plus, white glue has a MUCH longer work time than yellow glue, preventing "lockup" halfway through the installation process... It looks pretty interesting.

I know I've been very impressed with Titebond products. I've switched to Titebond II for all my yellow glue work over Elmer's, and I've used the TMTG and been quite impressed with it for fillets. If they make a good white glue with the same general properties as white glue (good working time and little/no shrinkage) I'll use it in a minute.

Later! OL JR
Old 08-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Master Modeler

Default Tmtg?

TMTG=? T=? M=? T=? G=Glue?
Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660

Titebond Molding and Trim Glue

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 08-29-2011, 03:54 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660

Sorry... thought it'd be obvious considering the topic...

Titebond Moulding and Trim Glue... TMTG...

later! OL JR