PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 certification

GammaMan
05-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Hi all,

I would like to perform a evel one certification at Bong. I will be reaching out to the Wildman this week and get a kit and stuff I will need. Is there anything I need to plan for outside of building the kit and scheduling this with the club?

Regards,

Art

chadrog
05-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Nope, not much more to it than that. Just make sure you review the NAR requirements to make sure you cover all your bases. http://www.nar.org/hpcert/l1certreq.html

Then, make arrangements with a certified person to observe motor assembly and observe the flight at any HPR launch.

Doug Sams
05-06-2012, 12:04 PM
I would like to perform a level one certification at Bong. I will be reaching out to the Wildman this week and get a kit and stuff I will need. Is there anything I need to plan for outside of building the kit and scheduling this with the club?I would try to hook up with a mentor who can sign you off at the launch. Someone will need to, and it's better to line him/her up ahead of time. Print out the cert doc (from the NAR or TRA website) and have it ready. If you can, it's good to have your mentor review your flight ahead of time, to check your selection of motor and delay, rocket, recovery system, etc.

Having some sort of sim data ahead of time is huge. The RSO will want to know how high you expect it to go, and what the sim says about your choice of delay. And your mentor will likely want to see this, too.

Practice prepping the rocket once or twice the day before launch. On launch day, nerves can get the better of you. If you've rehearsed it, you're less likely to make a mistake. There's nothing like the disappointment of realizing your forgot to attach the quick link between the chute and the rocket while your rocket's plummeting earthward in a death dive :eek:

Lastly, check with the launch director about their equipment. If you build your rocket for a ½" rod and they don't have one, it will be a major bummer. So make sure your rocket is equipped with launch guides compatible with the available equipment.

Those are a few thoughts off the top of my head to consider prior to your L1. And best of luck to you.

Doug

chadrog
05-06-2012, 12:18 PM
If you're coming out to Bong on the 19/20th, I'd be happy to rap with ya'.

GammaMan
05-07-2012, 09:43 AM
That would be great. I will have a level one kit and forms ready in case we can do it that day. I will talk to the wildman today hopefully and get that going.

I will be brining a Aerotech G Force regardless of certificcations to play with at Bong. Probably a couple of big daddy's for the kids as well.

Regards,

Art

chadrog
05-07-2012, 09:52 AM
That would be great. I will have a level one kit and forms ready in case we can do it that day. I will talk to the wildman today hopefully and get that going.

I will be brining a Aerotech G Force regardless of certificcations to play with at Bong. Probably a couple of big daddy's for the kids as well.

Regards,

Art
Sounds good. The G-Force is a solid bird for L1 flying, have you considered it? I've flown mine on several H motors.

jeff2space
05-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Chad,
I will be going for my L1 Cert on the 19th at Bong (20th if the 19th doesn't work weather wise). If you're not too busy maybe you could observe mine? Otherwise I know I'll be able to track down a couple other members.
Rocket: Madcow Super DX3
Motor: Pro 38 H120
Jeff

chadrog
05-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Chad,
I will be going for my L1 Cert on the 19th at Bong (20th if the 19th doesn't work weather wise). If you're not too busy maybe you could observe mine? Otherwise I know I'll be able to track down a couple other members.
Jeff
Shouldn't be a problem Jeff, see ya' there.

spyderman1zzfe
05-07-2012, 07:10 PM
I can't wait to get into HPR!

chadrog
05-07-2012, 07:51 PM
I can't wait to get into HPR!
Are you coming out to Bong in two weeks? That would be a good place to start!

spyderman1zzfe
05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Are you coming out to Bong in two weeks? That would be a good place to start!

You bet I am! :D

GammaMan
05-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Yea should be a great time. I will be using a Vindicator 4" rocket, and after talking to Tim (Wildman) probably using an "I"Motor. I wanted to get a rocket that eventually I can do level 2 on so he is sending me this kit with the 54mm mount.

spyderman1zzfe
05-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Yea should be a great time. I will be using a Vindicator 4" rocket, and after talking to Tim (Wildman) probably using an "I"Motor. I wanted to get a rocket that eventually I can do level 2 on so he is sending me this kit with the 54mm mount.

I like it! :D

MikeCr
05-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm also planning on doing my L1 re-cert at Bong this month. Hope the weather cooperates.

Mike

BillandKids
05-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm finishing my vindicator in the next few weeks. Let me know if you have any questions, or want to look at a completed one. The internal injected fillets take a few tries to get right. The first one, you will use way too much chopped carbon fibre.

GammaMan
05-07-2012, 09:42 PM
now your scaring me. Epoxy scares me.

CenturiKid
05-07-2012, 09:47 PM
How many A3-4Ts do I need to strap together to count as high power :D ?

chadrog
05-07-2012, 11:43 PM
Do you have a rough weight on that Vindicator? I'd be a bit leary of throwing it up very high at Bong, assuming your flying motor eject, the swamp is great at hiding rockets flying to moderate altitudes.

MikeCr
05-08-2012, 06:31 AM
How many A3-4Ts do I need to strap together to count as high power :D ?

That would be an infinite number as no amount of A3-4t's would qualify! :D

Mike

chadrog
05-08-2012, 07:34 AM
That would be an infinite number as no amount of A3-4t's would qualify! :D

Mike
Actually, it would only take 73 of them to get past 160 Ns. (73 motors x 2.2Ns = 160.6 Ns) I'll help ya' wire it!

PaulK
05-08-2012, 08:46 AM
now your scaring me. Epoxy scares me.At the risk of going way OT, epoxy isn't necessary for HPR, just depends on your building materials, and how big / fast you want to go. Folks have done L1 and L2 rockets with cardboard tubes, plywood fins, and wood glue. You'll find a lot of info on the forums, just be sure to wear gloves when using epoxy.

PaulK
05-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Chad,
JeffHi Jeff. There are always plenty of members willing to help with certs, I hope to be there too. Note that the May launch days have a late start.

DeanHFox
05-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Actually, I could really use some help with RMS assembly. I've flown plenty of Aerotech SU, and have bought a couple RMS cases and reloads, but would like to practice up with midpower loads before cracking my L1 later this summer... :)

Rex R
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
RMS are relatively simple to assemble if you follow the instructions that come with the reloads*, that said, I'm reasonably sure that most of us would be willing to assist, you just need to ask. some things you should pack
1/2" masking tape
celophane tape
hobby knife
emery board
o-ring lube.
rex
*they vary a bit depending on which reload you're doing but, the basic assembly remains the same.

MikeCr
05-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Actually, it would only take 73 of them to get past 160 Ns. (73 motors x 2.2Ns = 160.6 Ns) I'll help ya' wire it!

That wouldn't be acceptable though for a L1 cert flight. At least one of the motors used has to be an H or I.

Mike

chadrog
05-08-2012, 01:00 PM
That wouldn't be acceptable though for a L1 cert flight. At least one of the motors used has to be an H or I.

Mike
True, but he didn't say anything about a certification flight... ;)

MikeCr
05-08-2012, 06:05 PM
True, but he didn't say anything about a certification flight... ;)

Maybe I'm wrong, I took it to mean certification because of the previous comments. But the other thing is, to require HPR certification the total installed impulse of all the motors would need to be over 320Ns (160 .01Ns or more per single motor).

Mike

chadrog
05-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Beyond 160, you're into H impulse - you're taking this waaaay too seriously.

Bill
05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
RMS are relatively simple to assemble if you follow the instructions that come with the reloads*, that said, I'm reasonably sure that most of us would be willing to assist, you just need to ask. some things you should pack
1/2" masking tape
celophane tape
hobby knife
emery board
o-ring lube.
rex
*they vary a bit depending on which reload you're doing but, the basic assembly remains the same.

Along with something to wipe any grease or lube off of your hands before handling the delay grain. Baby wipes work very well for that.

Bill

MikeCr
05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Beyond 160, you're into H impulse - you're taking this waaaay too seriously.

That's true, for a single motor. But not for a cluster of motors.
From the NAR site:

Who Needs HPR Certification?

A person needs High Power certification if they:

1 Launch models containing multiple motors with a total installed impulse of 320.01 Newton-seconds or more, or

2 Launches models containing a single motor with a total installed impulse of 160.01 Newton-seconds or more, or

3 Launches rockets that weigh more than 53 ounces (1500 grams), or

4 Launches models powered by rocket motors not classified as model rocket motors per NFPA 1122, e.g.:
a Average thrust in excess of 80.0 Newtons
b Contains in excess of 125 grams of propellant
c Hybrid rocket motors

So clearly you could launch a combination of motors up to 320.00 Ns w/o needing HPR certification. Now, I don't know if there would be anything else you need to consider. I always thought that the total installed propellant weight limit for non-HPR was 125g, 62.5g per motor. The way it's stated above the max limit per motor is 125g. At any rate I don't think I'll be clustering 145 A3's anytime soon! :D

spyderman1zzfe
05-08-2012, 08:31 PM

That would be something to see!

PaulK
05-10-2012, 09:25 AM
Actually, I could really use some help with RMS assembly. I've flown plenty of Aerotech SU, and have bought a couple RMS cases and reloads, but would like to practice up with midpower loads before cracking my L1 later this summer... :)Yep, it's a good idea to do MPR RMS first. We'll be glad to help. Note that the HPR, and HPR-Style cases assemble a bit different than the hobby-line cases (24/40 and 29/40-120), so read the instructions!

CenturiKid
05-10-2012, 10:31 PM
:) I'm sure most of the guys here know I was joking. I love the small motors and if I do certification I will do it properly; and I know that I'll be able to get help if I need anything.

I've never met a group of people so eager to help or answer questions as the guys/girls in Woosh. So many clubs are so clicky that its nearly impossible to make friends or feel part of the group. Never been the case here.

MikeCr
05-11-2012, 06:39 AM
Yeah, the smiley face kind of gave it away. ;)

That's the great thing about this hobby, so many people offering help to anyone who needs it.

As far as the assembly of the motors goes, Aerotech anyway, they're ALL different. I have all of the Aerotech hobby cases (18mm, 24mm and 29mm), the 29mm 180 & 240 Ns set, and the 38mm 240, 360 and 480Ns set. As far as I remember every single one of them is a little different. Some of them have same size O rings front and back, some are small in front and large in back, some just the opposite, etc. So you REALLY need to pay close attention to the assembly diagrams!

See ya all next weekend!

Mike

GammaMan
05-16-2012, 10:57 PM
My Vindicator is almost ready... Getting excited now.. Hope to see all of you this Saturday.

-Art

chadrog
05-17-2012, 12:44 AM
My Vindicator is almost ready... Getting excited now.. Hope to see all of you this Saturday.

-Art
Hoping to meet you as well, are you coming Sunday?

spyderman1zzfe
05-17-2012, 09:07 AM

-Art

I can't wait to see it! :)