PDA

View Full Version : How to use Clear-Coat?

Charlweed
07-27-2012, 07:45 PM
I’ve just spent many hours creating and applying custom water-slide decals to a rocket. Without protection, I’m sure some of them will not survive a landing. Clear-Coat seems to be the recommended solution, but I’ve not gotten good results on previous attempts. I end up with everything under the coat looking matte, even when it was a beautiful gloss before.
Any tips?

Thanks!

Charlweed

mycrofte
07-27-2012, 07:50 PM
My last attempt to clear coat ended up half & half with some spots beaded.

CPMcGraw
07-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Which clear-coat are you using? There are a number of acrylic sprays available, in gloss, satin (or semi-gloss), and matte.

Many of us are using a product which used to be called "Future Floor Finish", which is just as it sounds - a floor coating product. It can be sprayed with an airbrush without thinning (30 psi or better), and tends to hold up well once cured for a couple of days. Brush clean-up is just blowing hot water through it.

Charlweed
07-27-2012, 09:52 PM
I have tried Ace clear Lacquer, And Rustoleum clear enamel. I hope I can find "Future Floor Finish" at Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, or Orchard Hardware Supply. You wrote airbrush, so I wont look for an spray can. I have a very old Testor's airbrush set, I hope it can work with FFF. Any other application tips?

Doug Sams
07-27-2012, 10:07 PM
I hope I can find "Future Floor Finish" at Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, or Orchard Hardware Supply. Try the supermarket.

BTW, it's now called Pledge® Premium Finish with Future® Shine (http://www.scjohnson.com/en/products/asked-and-answered/ask-question-comment.aspx?title=Where-is-Future-Floor-Wax).

HTH.

Doug

chrism
07-28-2012, 03:22 PM
I have tried Ace clear Lacquer, And Rustoleum clear enamel. I hope I can find "Future Floor Finish" at Ace, Home Depot, Lowes, or Orchard Hardware Supply. You wrote airbrush, so I wont look for an spray can. I have a very old Testor's airbrush set, I hope it can work with FFF. Any other application tips?

It also can be brushed on. just use a good quality brush or sponge brushes. Because Future is water-based, it will level out elinimating the brush strokes.

CPMcGraw
07-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Try the supermarket.

BTW, it's now called Pledge® Premium Finish with Future® Shine (http://www.scjohnson.com/en/products/asked-and-answered/ask-question-comment.aspx?title=Where-is-Future-Floor-Wax).

HTH.

Doug

The bottle looks like this now (see attachment).

vigilante
07-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Don't you guys thin this stuff with Simple Green?

chrism
07-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Don't you guys thin this stuff with Simple Green?

Future does not need to be thinned to use. Some add Simple Green to Future to get a glossier finish when it dries.

Charlweed
07-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Future does not need to be thinned to use. Some add Simple Green to Future to get a glossier finish when it dries.
Thanks to all for the info. I want maximum gloss. So which "Simple Green" should I thin the Future shine with?

Charlweed
07-28-2012, 07:14 PM
For the record, as of 06/28/2012, the same product, upc 046500001826 is now called
"Pledge® Tile & Vinyl Floor Finish with Future® Shine" And looks like this:
http://www.pledge.com/PublishingImages/Products/TileVinylFloorFinishwithFutureShine_L.jpg

Yet more SC Johnson re-branding (http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-brand/pledge/pledge-tile--
vinyl-floor-finish-with-future-shine-1.aspx)

I will brush apply it to a test surface tomorrow.

Thanks again!

jetlag
07-28-2012, 07:30 PM
It works fantastically! You will be pleased with the results.

Allen

samb
07-30-2012, 10:19 AM
I really like the "... durable acrylic protection" part. I apply it with a sponge just like you'd use on the floor. Stand the piece up and wick up any extra that collects at the bottom of the piece with a paper towel. Fast and easy, and your decals and paint will thank you.

VonMises
07-31-2012, 08:00 PM
good stuff

Charlweed
08-01-2012, 05:20 PM
I used a 4 Pledge / 1 Simple green. I used two coats, with a day in between applications. 4 of 4 rockets look great so far, and the decals are secure under the finish.

Any tips on maintaining the finish? If my rocket hits moist dirt, just wipe and reapply?

Charlweed

chrism
08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Post pics of your work!