PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Any and All info on the Black Brant/Terrier rockes

K'Tesh
05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Black Brant rocket that Estes put out when I was active in building and launching as a 'kid'. I picked up a couple of the Sandhawk/Terrier kits in my 20's and a Python for spare parts.

Today as I was poking around, I found that the Black Brant and Terrier were combined at least once.... hmmm.... :rolleyes:

Anybody got info/images of just such a thing?

Thanks
Jim

Rex R
05-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Public Missiles Ltd has a number of nice Black Brant kits, ooo they also have the Terrier booster...:) (look for 'mini BBx' in the scale section).
rex

K'Tesh
05-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm thinking that I might make the Python and one of my (3) Black Brant II's into a Black Brant II/Terrier concept rocket. Maintaining the black and white scheme of the BBII.

As I was surfing the web, I found a nice image of a homemade adapter that would link the two rockets together, but I can't remember if the BBII's engine was friction fit, or had an engine clip... I seem to remember it's friction only, which complicates matters.

ghrocketman
05-08-2013, 02:17 PM
The 24mm powered BT-55 BB II had a friction-only fit engine.
The 18mm powered BT-50 BB III had an engine hook.

jeffyjeep
05-08-2013, 03:28 PM
The Estes BBII had a friction fit 24mm mount only, but I once modified one to use an engine hook. It's not hard to do, but it of course requires cutting a slot in the boat tail for the EH.

Gus
05-08-2013, 03:50 PM
Advanced Rocketry Group in Canada makes a variety of Black Brant kits.

ARG has currently slowed production but three of their kits are still available.

http://www.argrockets.com/

Taras is a world class competitor and his kits reflect that. Great stuff.

Doug Sams
05-08-2013, 04:51 PM
http://www.argrockets.com/

Taras [at ARG] is a world class competitor and his kits reflect that. Great stuff.I met him once or twice years ago at a couple national NAR events, and truly enjoyed chatting with him. As I recall, I picked up from him some thick-walled BT-20 / ersatz BT-30 and used that on one of my Sprite or Scout clones.

Anyway, ARG is indeed a good source for BB kits. Seems like Taras had 10 or more variants available.

Doug

jeffyjeep
05-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Ah yes. I knew I had a photo somewhere.

ghrocketman
05-09-2013, 10:43 AM
ARG also offered clones of the Enerjet 2250 and 2650 at one time, but it looks like they offer nothing on that site anymore. It redirects you to another site (sigmarockets) for 3 of his BB kits.

Gus
05-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Here's an update on ARG from Taras:

"Hi Steve,

I've slowly started up again.
June will go into full production.
So if there are orders I'll start with those kits first.
Black Brants IV, there are three version A, B (fins on second stage cone) and Hawaii IV-30 vesrion.
Black Brant V there are four versions right now, A and B identical except decal says "B", BBVC is a four finned version and BBVC S-19 (in Always book) has canards on upper payload.
Trident series (cluster) starting up currently stock of 13 and 18mm versions.
Enerjet "clones" in June.

Thanks.

Taras"

Fuse Eh!
05-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Here's an update on ARG from Taras...
Hey, that's great news!! Thanks for posting it!

ghrocketman
05-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the update Steve.
Been thinking about picking up a 2250 or 2650 from him soon. Good to see they will be available again.