PDA

View Full Version : Centuri Scale V-2

dwmzmm
01-31-2006, 10:39 AM
While looking at the pic on the back of the Saturn - A Picture History booklet that was included with their Saturn kits, come to realize that I never bought the Centuri V-2 scale
kit! (I have/or had all the other models pictured). Does anyone have the plans for the
Centuri V-2 available on line? I would love to be able to build the Centuri version...

sandman
01-31-2006, 10:58 AM
It's on JimZ's site.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/ks-19.htm

Balsa Machining Services has the nose and tail cone.

dwmzmm
02-01-2006, 09:18 AM
It's on JimZ's site.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/ks-19.htm

Balsa Machining Services has the nose and tail cone.

Wow, thanks. I don't know how I missed seeing it, as I did scanned through Jim Z's site
before posting. I will study the downloads of the plans and if I have any further questions,
I'll be sure to ask.

dwmzmm
02-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Wow, thanks. I don't know how I missed seeing it, as I did scanned through Jim Z's site
before posting. I will study the downloads of the plans and if I have any further questions,
I'll be sure to ask.

Ok, can anyone give me a possible "parts list" from a current modroc vendor (SEMROC or
others) that can help me build a clone of the Centuri V-2? All I really need is the correct
item listing of the balsa nosecone, bodytube(s), and balsa tailcone (if possible). Otherwise,
I can just use a balsa nosecone to fashion a tailcone; if so, what is the model's length from
the tip of the nosecone to the end of the tailcone (NOT fins)? Looking at the scans of the
instruction sheet does not give the Centuri specified parts listing...

sandman
02-01-2006, 10:03 PM
Dave,

Actually that's an easy one as clones go.

Balsa Machining Services has the nose and tail cone for the Centuri V-2 listed as;

CENV2NC for the nose cone.

CENV2BT for the tail cone.

http://www.balsamachining.com/CONES.htm

The body tube is a BT-60 that is 4.88" long.

I only have the scale fin patterns but you should be able to download the patterns from JimZ's site.

I hope that helps.

Ltvscout
02-02-2006, 08:30 AM
I only have the scale fin patterns but you should be able to download the patterns from JimZ's site.
The one template I noticed was missing from JimZ for that kit was the fin guide template used to hold the fins straight while gluing them on. Anyone have that?

dwmzmm
02-02-2006, 09:19 AM
The one template I noticed was missing from JimZ for that kit was the fin guide template used to hold the fins straight while gluing them on. Anyone have that?

Thanks, guys. I will be placing an order to BMS shortly so I can get to work on my cloned
Centuri V-2. I would like to have the fin guide template before I start construction, though.
I wished the Estes vintage V-2 kit had one, too (they didn't...just a 90 degree two fin template pattern).

CPMcGraw
02-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks, guys. I will be placing an order to BMS shortly so I can get to work on my cloned
Centuri V-2. I would like to have the fin guide template before I start construction, though.
I wished the Estes vintage V-2 kit had one, too (they didn't...just a 90 degree two fin template pattern).

Guys,

What is the thickness of those fins? I'm looking at the patterns now, but there's no detail on what size sheet they're cut from. I can whip up that template in minutes, but I need that thickness to know what width to make the slot...

If I had to guess, I'd say they were 1/4" thick (the prototype had very thick fins...) on this model.

CPMcGraw
02-03-2006, 09:45 PM
OK, 1/4" is too thick. I'm backing off to 3/16" thick for these guides.

I'm uploading two guides, which will slide up from the bottom of the reducer, and which will sit about 1" apart (maybe less, depends on how close or how wide you cut out the circles...). This will help keep the fins in better alignment, and should reduce the chances of getting one or more fins off-center, or even skewed, as can happen with a single guide.

Trim off the corners at the roots of the fins to keep them from getting glued in place...

Print these to either some 0.05" matteboard (makes a really stiff guide), or to a sheet of cardstock. Laminate the cardstock to a piece of matteboard, then cut through both layers inside the lines.

Don't force the fit; trim it out as needed with a sharp #11, or sand out the excess between the lines evenly.

SEL
02-03-2006, 10:44 PM

I just sent the template to Scott. It also has the fin overlay detail. As I told Scott,
the file I sent him wsa scanned from a photocopy of the original. You may have to play around with the sizing a bit to get it right.

Sean

Ltvscout
02-04-2006, 08:29 AM
I just sent the template to Scott. It also has the fin overlay detail. As I told Scott,
the file I sent him wsa scanned from a photocopy of the original. You may have to play around with the sizing a bit to get it right.

Sean
Here is a link to said file:

www.oldrocketplans.com/decals/Fin_Detail_Sht_KS-19.jpg

dwmzmm
02-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Here is a link to said file:

www.oldrocketplans.com/decals/Fin_Detail_Sht_KS-19.jpg

Great! This template should be helpful not only for the cloned Centuri V-2, but other four
finned models as well. I'm currently trying to finish the painting job on my Centuri 1/100
scaled Saturn - V as I write this; with those external details already molded to the bodywraps, it's quite a challenge to paint those black roll patterns...guess I'll just have to
really do it slowly and take my time when I have the chance (we got three kids here most
of the time in a given moment).

dwmzmm
03-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Dave,

Actually that's an easy one as clones go.

Balsa Machining Services has the nose and tail cone for the Centuri V-2 listed as;

CENV2NC for the nose cone.

CENV2BT for the tail cone.

http://www.balsamachining.com/CONES.htm

The body tube is a BT-60 that is 4.88" long.

I hope that helps.

Sandman:

I have in the mail (headed your way) my order and payment for the above listed nosecone
and tailcone. Be on the lookout for it, and thanks for the assistance!

sandman
03-26-2006, 02:56 PM
LOL, Dave, thanks but I'm not Balsa Machining Services. :D

I'm Roachwerks Custom Machining.

I don't have any "standard" nose cones only custom.

Although I've made so many different sizes and versions of the Estes BNC-55AO (Goblin nose cone) from BT-3 micromaxx to an 8" fiberglass that maybe it should be a standard. ;)

I let Bill at BMS do the stock cones.

dwmzmm
03-26-2006, 02:58 PM
LOL, Dave, thanks but I'm not Balsa Machining Services. :D

I'm Roachwerks Custom Machining.

I don't have any "standard" nose cones only custom.

Although I've made so many different sizes and versions of the Estes BNC-55AO (Goblin nose cone) from BT-3 micromaxx to an 8" fiberglass that maybe it should be a standard. ;)

I let Bill at BMS do the stock cones.

Oops! My face is turning RED!!

Thanks for the correction!

sandman
03-26-2006, 03:04 PM
No big deal,

BMS only does standard designs and some custom.

I can make just about anything you want and I'm not restricted by just using balsa.

Bill at BMS doesn't do basswood or fiberglass.

I even did a Deuce's Wild cone for Jim Flis out of black walnut.

It came out really really pretty!! ;)

Here's some samples.

dwmzmm
03-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Placed my order to BMS via mail last Saturday, it already arrived yesterday. Great service!

dwmzmm
04-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Quick update on the clone of the Centuri scaled V-2 build; most everything is done,
construction wise, and I've started the balsa sanding and sealing. Next up are the final
detailing on the fins and lower tailcone before the painting begins.

With this model sitting next the the Estes counterpart, I'm somewhat surprised to see how
much larger the Centuri V-2 is...

dwmzmm
04-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Here's the pics of my recently completed clone of the Centuri V-2 scale model, sitting next
to the vintage Estes V-2.

The last pic is my display case, and you can see the Centuri 1/35 scale Mercury Redstone
minus the decals...waiting for the order from Tango Papa Decals.

Phred
05-04-2006, 07:44 PM
I just found this thread... very nice!! I recently purchased a handlful of early 1970's built rockets, and it included an almost finished, slightly battered Centuri V2. Complete with plastic NC. The models are all built rather well, and I plan on restoring the V2, and finishing it with some of my decals. (paint job and parachute are all that are required).

My camera has dead batteries, but I promise I will take pics before I begin restoration.

Phred

dwmzmm
05-04-2006, 10:08 PM
I just found this thread... very nice!! I recently purchased a handlful of early 1970's built rockets, and it included an almost finished, slightly battered Centuri V2. Complete with plastic NC. The models are all built rather well, and I plan on restoring the V2, and finishing it with some of my decals. (paint job and parachute are all that are required).

My camera has dead batteries, but I promise I will take pics before I begin restoration.

Phred

Great to hear that, Phred! Please do get some pics on that V-2 restoration. It's really a
pretty good size model for a scale V-2.

Hopefully, this weekend I may have the chance to test fly my cloned V-2. Need to do so
before I give it a shot at NSL - 2006 later this month at McGregor, TX. Are you going to
be there? Also, the decals for the 1/35 scaled Centuri Mercury Redstone (see the last pic
in my posting before yours) came in yesterday from Tango Papa Decals...excellent work!
Will be applying the decals either late tomorrow night or early Saturday morning (need to
do it when everyone is asleep so I get NO distractions). Maybe even the MR will get a test
flight, too.

Stay tuned...

Green Dragon
05-05-2006, 05:53 PM

Phred

Phred

I saw that lot, the one witht he unbuild, mip farside-X ;)

You lucky dog, you :cool:

I was bidding on alot of builtups myself last week , with a Big Red Max, EAC Viper, etc.. was very bummed I missed the end of it,and was outbid... hopefully someone on here got it and it's in good hands. not a username I recognized.
( maybe we need a llist of forum members ebay user names, so ppl can avoid outbidding each other, the GI Joe list I'm on had such a list before they gota few 1000 members... saved ppl from beating each other up over 'common items' ( but when it was a rare piece,all bets were off :).

have fun with your goodies !!!

~ AL

Phred
05-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Al,

Yes, I bought that lot. I really wanted the motors and built rockets, and planned on selling the kits, so I bid high... once I received them, I found that all three kits were not only open, but the Streak and Farside X are partially assembled, In fact, all the Farside needs are for the fins to be attached. Basically, I paid too much...

Anyway, All the motors are dated 1971, and the kit cards are all from the ESTES/Damon bridge period of 1971-72. The paperwork included the plans and instructions for a Gemini Titan, and a Mini Brute three pack! Unfortunately, only the Mosquito survived.....

Oh well, you win some and lose some.

But, I do have a real liking for old, built up rockets. Especially 'kid built' ALPHAs, with upside down fins and kid paint jobs.....

I was at a family party tonight and will be at a car show all day tomorrow, so I will not get any pics until at least sunday....

Phred

Green Dragon
05-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Al,

Yes, I bought that lot. I really wanted the motors and built rockets, and planned on selling the kits, so I bid high... once I received them, I found that all three kits were not only open, but the Streak and Farside X are partially assembled, In fact, all the Farside needs are for the fins to be attached. Basically, I paid too much...

Anyway, All the motors are dated 1971, and the kit cards are all from the ESTES/Damon bridge period of 1971-72. The paperwork included the plans and instructions for a Gemini Titan, and a Mini Brute three pack! Unfortunately, only the Mosquito survived.....

Oh well, you win some and lose some.

But, I do have a real liking for old, built up rockets. Especially 'kid built' ALPHAs, with upside down fins and kid paint jobs.....

I was at a family party tonight and will be at a car show all day tomorrow, so I will not get any pics until at least sunday....

Phred

Bummer about the condition, too bad sellers have to mislead buyers to make a sale :(

Looked like a nice lot actually, if it would have gone lower, I;d have bid myself, for the Farside X, but then when it was opened, too bad....

Should make for some nice birds though, and if the engines were any good ... I know the paperwork alone would resell for a good buck, especially the farside X, since it's considered 'rare' . lol .

Ah well, will keep poking around from time to time, seen some good lots of built-ups but never seem to win any :(... my time will come .

~ AL

Phred
05-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Well... The seller is not a rocket person, and I frankly did not ask enough questions. I know better..... :o

Henway.... here is a pic of the original Centuri V2. (Now that I took the pic, I can start restoration!!)

Ph

Phred
05-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Ummm.. let's try that again....

Green Dragon
05-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Ummm.. let's try that again....

Looks quite well done from theic , is it just deteriorated, or never finished ?

SHould build up nice - you going to restore / finsih the others as well ( like the Farside X, be sort-of a shame to buildup the rare kit, since it's easily cloned, but if it's half built...

~ AL

Phred
05-06-2006, 09:46 PM
It was never finished. It appears to be sealed, with a coat of white paint. One fin has a 1/4" bite out of it visible in the pic. Also, there are cracks in the finish here and there I put down to heat cycling. I will sand it down, fill the bite, and then repaint/restore the model.

Ph

dwmzmm
05-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Got the first test flight up today at Rushing Park, Katy, TX. A pretty nice flight on a B6-4, flew straight up with a slight, spinning motion that gave excellent stability. Returned in
great shape on an 18" chute. Also flew the Centuri 1/35 scaled Mercury Redstone and Estes
Blue Ninja. Took lots of pics & hope to have them posted by mid-week.

dwmzmm
05-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Here's the links to the V-2 launch at the Challenger 498 club launch at Rushing Park, Katy,
TX on May 7, 2006:

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/FH000010

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/100B1970?full=1

http://www.challenger498.org/gallery/album25/FH000015

The first and third photo have captions; the second does not (but shows the ignition) and
was taken by Jesse Tavares, President of the Challenger 498 Section.

K'Tesh
06-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Bump...

My collection includes a vintage Centuri V-2 (circa 1971). It was built by my 9th grade band teacher. I bought it and his Centuri Saturn V as well as his 1971 catalogs back in 1983.

My model was launched many times by me, and I suspect even more times by him.

My model exactly matches the 1971 Centuri model and the JimZ instructions I've seen as best as I can tell. From my examination of the rocket, I can see no indication that it was shortened, or altered in any way (save for the very tip of the nosecone which was munched at some time. The original shock cord mount was apparently a ring glued inside the body tube. However it was replaced at some time by him (with a replica of the Estes tri-fold teabag), and the rubber band shock cord was replaced by elastic cord. The parachute appears to be original. It has white ink printed on a transparent red(ish)/pink plastic sheet. and was built with red lines. The parachute says "Centuri Engineering Company Phoenix Arizona".

The paint scheme doesn't match any of the three versions seen on the instructions found on JimZ's website.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3815/9512687379_48316e0111_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/fuB1xn) https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3717/9512686833_f587d8f39c_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/fuB1nX) https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3793/9515476656_64a1ed14fe_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/fuRiGm) https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7351/9515475544_5b54584572_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/fuRinb)

My fins are 3/32" thick.

Here's the numbers that I have from my kit, and how they stack up...

5.75" Exposed Nosecone
4.00" Body Tube
3.50" Exposed Tail Cone Corrected... see next post
.875" Fins (below tail cone)
14.125" Total length (as is)

14.20" Length from 1971 Centuri Catalog.

I know that my numbers don't match up with Gord's, but it wouldn't be unheard of for a rocket manufacturer to change body tube lengths or nosecones at some time during production (e.g.: Estes Cherokee D).

For more on my methods of measuring you can visit this thread (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=15111&page=1&pp=10).

jdbectec
06-04-2015, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=K'Tesh]Bump...

The paint scheme doesn't match any of the three versions seen on the instructions found on JimZ's website.]

end quote

Try rotating your nose cone 90 degrees.

Return to quote:

[My fins are 3/32" thick.

Here's the numbers that I have from my kit, and how they stack up...

5.75" Exposed Nosecone
4.00" Body Tube
4.50" Exposed Tail Cone
.875" Fins (below tail cone)
14.125" Total length (as is)

14.20" Length from 1971 Centuri Catalog.

I know that my numbers don't match up with Gord's, but it wouldn't be unheard of for a rocket manufacturer to change body tube lengths or nosecones at some time during production (e.g.: Estes Cherokee D).]

end quote

I hate to say it but your measurements add up to 15.125. Did you maybe "cut an inch" on the ruler and your tailcone is 3.5"?

It looks to be shorter than the tube.

K'Tesh
06-04-2015, 09:28 AM
The paint scheme doesn't match any of the three versions seen on the instructions found on JimZ's website.]

Try rotating your nose cone 90 degrees.

I kept the rocket the way that I received it from my teacher all those years ago... It never crossed my mind that it wasn't supposed to be that way.

Corrected the tail cone. You're right, I accidentally added an inch to it somehow... I've hunted it down and corrected it where I mis-typed.

jdbectec
06-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Oops! I should have said 180 degrees. No wonder they put erasers on pencils,anyone can make a mistake.