PDA

View Full Version : NASA Study Summary-"Apollo Systems Description Vol. 2 Saturn Launch Vehicles"

luke strawwalker
04-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Here's some interesting graphics from an 851 page NASA document on the Saturn Launch Vehicles, specifically with how they are used in Apollo flights. The study covers Saturn I Block II, Saturn IB, and Saturn V, in EXCRUTIATING detail. If you want to know ANYTHING about a particular Saturn vehicle, from various weights and measures to how the frangible nuts are wired up for staging to how the telemetry communications work to how the propellant dispersion charges are wired up on the range safety systems, to propellant line conditioning and engine chilldown to engine start procedures, it's in this document. Needless to say, it's a LOT of information. I saw no point in actually doing a summary, since it would be uselessly vague to stuff every Saturn afficianado already knows, or excruciatingly long and detailed and take a month to write, and STILL probably not have the particular bit of information one might want or need, since obviously EVERYTHING can't go in the summary! SO, here's the document numbers and stuff for anyone wanting to look it up.

Office of Manned Spaceflight Technical Memorandum X-881
Apollo Systems Description Volume II
N71-70815 (MSFC)

I downloaded it from a link on nasaspaceflight.com/forums and saved it, so I'm sure with a little surfing, someone wanting to dig through it can find it on NTRS or elsewhere.

In the meantime, I snipped the most interesting graphics from the study and post them here, since there's a lot of details that might be of use to Saturn modelers. Basically the text of the study tells you enough to almost build your own Saturn rocket; what alloys, materials, structures, processes, etc. VERY in-depth!

Enjoy!
OL JR

luke strawwalker
04-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Pic one is a basic layout graphic of Saturn I Block II. Fairly detailed.

Pic two is a detailed cutaway of Saturn I Block II's S-I first stage. LOTS of detail!

Pic three is the aft part of the previous foldout pic, since it obviously all couldn't be scanned in at once without being cut off...

Pic four is a detailed cutaway of the S-IV second stage of the Saturn I Block II.

Pic five is an oblique view detailed cutaway of the S-IV second stage.

More to come! OL JR

luke strawwalker
04-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Pic one is a basic layout graphic of Saturn IB with some details

Pic two is the Saturn IB S-IB first stage side view detailed cutaway foldout...

Pic three is the rear part of the same centerfold that got cut off in scanning...

Pic four is the Saturn I S-IVB second stage cutaway

Pic five is the Saturn I S-IVB stage structures on Saturn IB

More to come! OL JR

luke strawwalker
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Pic one is the basic Saturn V sideview

Pic two is the Saturn V S-IC first stage centerfold aft with details...

Pic three is the front half of the same centerfold...

Pic four is the S-II second stage cutaway...

Pic five is a closeup of the cutaway...

More to come! OL JR

luke strawwalker
04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Pic one is the S-II stage structures

Pic two is the S-IVB sideview cutaway

Pic three is the Saturn V S-IVB oblique showing the structures details that are different from the S-IVB used on Saturn IB.

That's it for this one!

Later! OL JR