Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Nike Smoke question. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19934)

jeffyjeep 09-25-2021 01:38 PM

Nike Smoke question.

On the REAL Nike Smoke were the fins fixed or was there some kind of attitude control?

Thank you!

mwtoelle 09-25-2021 08:05 PM

From all of the drawings and photos that I have seen, the fins on the Nike-Smoke (and most of the other Nike-boosted rockets and missiles) had fixed fins on the Nike section.

ghrocketman 09-25-2021 09:56 PM

That is my understanding as well.
Nike boosters had fixed fins
The only Nike booster with 3 fins was the Nike-Ajax. The Nike-Ajax used 3 "oversize" fins compared to the others.
All others had 4 fins.

tdracer 09-25-2021 11:12 PM

I saw a Nike Ajax a week ago at the Smithsonian Air and Space annex (aka "Udvar Hazy" by Dulles airport).
The Nike fins are welded in place...

jeffyjeep 09-25-2021 11:28 PM

Thanks guys!

PeterAlway 09-26-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
On the REAL Nike Smoke were the fins fixed or was there some kind of attitude control?

Thank you!

No attitude control.

Almost all sounding rockets just had/have fin stabilization. Exceptions that I know of were of course the V-2 when it was used as a sounding rocket, the Viking sounding rocket, the Aries (Minuteman I second stage), and those Black Brants that carried the S-19 unit--you can identify them by the delta vanes near the nose.

The original Nike missiles that the Nike boosters boosted had aerodynamic control surfaces on the upper sustainer stages, but there was no provision for moving the booster fins or vectoring the booster thrust.

jeffyjeep 09-26-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
No attitude control.

Almost all sounding rockets just had/have fin stabilization. Exceptions that I know of were of course the V-2 when it was used as a sounding rocket, the Viking sounding rocket, the Aries (Minuteman I second stage), and those Black Brants that carried the S-19 unit--you can identify them by the delta vanes near the nose.

The original Nike missiles that the Nike boosters boosted had aerodynamic control surfaces on the upper sustainer stages, but there was no provision for moving the booster fins or vectoring the booster thrust.

Thanks Peter!

Ez2cDave 09-29-2021 03:24 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Nike Smoke details . . .

Dave F.

Ez2cDave 09-29-2021 03:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAlway
No attitude control. Black Brants that carried the S-19 unit--you can identify them by the delta vanes near the nose.

The S-19 unit . . .

Dave F.

aeppel_cpm 09-29-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
That is my understanding as well.
Nike boosters had fixed fins
The only Nike booster with 3 fins was the Nike-Ajax. The Nike-Ajax used 3 "oversize" fins compared to the others.
All others had 4 fins.

The Nike Nike Smoke had 3.