Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   RIM-66/AGM-78 Standard Missile (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=21650)

MarkB. 05-09-2023 11:47 PM

RIM-66/AGM-78 Standard Missile

2 Attachment(s)
Guys,

I've always wondered why there aren't more models of the Standard Missile.

Brief History: In 1963, the Standard program was a consolidation of the lessons learned in the Tartar, Talos and Terrier programs which had given the Navy it's first generation surface-to-air missiles. Standard used the Tartar fuselage dimensions so that it could be used in existing magazines, but the motor, electronics and warhead were all-new. The missile was ready by 1967 and began to be deployed throughout the fleet as RIM-66 Standard and with a Terrier booster as RIM-67 Extended Range Standard Missile. Upgraded Standards, designated SM-1s are still in service with other navies but have been replaced in the USN with the SM-2 version. 10s of thousands were built by General Dynamics and later Raytheon.

At the same time as it was becoming operational, the basic missile was developed into an air-launched, anti-radiation missile for the Wild Weasel mission for suppressing enemy air defenses in Vietnam as AGM-78. Anti-radiation means that the missile would home in on the enemy radar emissions. First used on A-6 Intruder and F-105 Thuds, the missile was a substantial improvement over the original Shrike anti-radiation missile. Externally, the AGM version differed from the RIM version by having 6 panels around the fuselage behind the nose cone to detect the radar emissions. The basic idea proved so successful that a surface launched version was developed and used, mounted in box launchers on the backs of trucks, by the Israelis. AGM-78 was withdrawn from U.S. service shortly before the Gulf War and replaced by the superior HARM missile.

So with all that, you'd think there might be some models for low-power or mid-power. The fact is, there's not even good, dimensioned drawings of a Standard missile. While both Peter Alway and Buzz Nau have done Tartars and Terriers, I have yet to discover a good drawing of a Standard SM-1 with critical dimensions listed. While there's lots of 3-D art out there, without dimensions it remains only art.

Years ago, there was a Launch Pad sport scale kit and that's going to be the jump off point for the build in the pictures. Years ago, I bought a kit while they were still in production. But over the years, I had slowly raided the bag until only the nose cone, bag of clay ballast and the instructions were left; gone were the BT-80 body tubes, coupler, motor tube and rings. Using a BT-80 body tube as a basis, it made scale 1:5.114. There are some scale problems with the kit, the biggest being the lack of boattail at the bottom but in this size, it builds to something slightly less than 36" tall and is a good size to add detail. A plan exists to add a Terrier booster, which in this scale would be about 3.5" in diameter.

I ordered some genuine Estes BT-80 tubes which come in 14.2" lengths, a coupler from the parts bin and I ordered ply rings and a baffle set from Bad Boy Rocketry. I decided to use the same building techniques as in the BBR Javelin I recently completed: through-the-wall, ply fins and set up for 29mm power. the upper strakes were originally 3/32 balsa but they were super flimsy and were replaced with a home-made 3-layer ply of 1/32" ply core with 1/32" balsa on either side. I did get to make the famous Launch Pad paper hat to simulate the contour of the nose one. It is visible in one of the pictures.

So the first picture shows the major assemblies. The lower ply fins are glued in and the first card stock detail has been added. The baffle has a 1/2" piece of BT-80 around the centerline as I computed I need that 1/2"to have an accurately scale body tube length. Also, I assembled the baffle incorrectly. The BBR baffle came in four pieces and you assemble the plates in two pieces to be glued both inside and on either end of your coupler; but I didn't know that at the time. I just used the inside pieces and connected them with a piece of dowel. I added an old piece of flat Kevlar I had as a shock cord leader. Finally, the plastic nose is ballasted with 1oz. of fishing weight held in place with JB Weld. The motor side of the baffle also has a JB Weld coating.

Second picture show the body tube being glued together and held in alignment by my Estes tube guide and an Oddl Rockets tube cutter. You can see more paper detail added to the fins. Next up is to glue on the famous paper cone, coat it with super glue and blend it with Bondo.

This is the way.

More pictures this weekend.

Chas Russell 05-10-2023 03:12 PM

I have one of the MRC Concept II kits in my collection. Many years ago I built a Rouge Aerospace kit that appeared to use the plastic parts from the MRC kit, most likely picked up when MRC dropped their line. The Rouge kit has flown, but is still in primer. One of those "to finish when I retire...". Been retired for over a decade...

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/mrc02.html

There are several kits similar to the Standard Missile, like the NCR SA-14 Archer, but it may be that non-Apollo related scale models are a niche market.
Looking forward to your build.

Chas

Ez2cDave 05-12-2023 12:02 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Some data . . .

Dave F.

Ez2cDave 05-12-2023 12:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately, I do not have better images of these files . . .

NAVORD Drawing 2556810

Dave F.

Ez2cDave 05-12-2023 01:59 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
Unfortunately, I do not have better images of these files . . .

Dave F.

Thanks to Evan "Buzz" Nau, we now have excellent copies of NAVORD Drawings # 2556810 & #1996251.

Evan supplied the two full-size drawings and I cropped them into smaller sections.

Dave F.

MarkB. 05-13-2023 12:25 PM

Thanks, Dave

Buzz's drawings are for a Terrier but they're good for shapes.

The first batch of Dave's drawings are a puzzle. The first two drawings are marked as a Standard ER but the missile shown is a composite Terrier. I've never seen an operational Standard of any kind without a boattail. The next four Russian drawings, likely Minakov's, are of a Standard SM-2, a later missile that was itself a modification/upgrade of an SM-1. I would judge these to be, somewhat ironically, very accurate. The three after that are some that I've had for years proporting to be a Standard ARM but the few listed dimensions make these drawings not a lot of help. I have a hypothesis, based on very scant evidence, that these three drawings are the basis of the Launch Pad kit. The final drawing is the first drawing cut down.

What's interesting is there is some agreement on the dimensions and some of the station lengths between the "Standard ER" drawings and the Standard ARM drawings but none of them depict the fairings between the end of the strakes and the steering fins which are a key indentifier between a late Terrier and a Standard SM-1. These fairings seem to be aerodynamically necessitated by the change to a boattail as mentioned before. If you do an image search you'll see what I mean right away. The Minokov drawings show the fairing and the boattail.

Very interesting.

Ez2cDave 05-13-2023 12:54 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Thanks, Dave

Buzz's drawings are for a Terrier but they're good for shapes.

The first batch of Dave's drawings are a puzzle. The first two drawings are marked as a Standard ER but the missile shown is a composite Terrier. I've never seen an operational Standard of any kind without a boattail. The next four Russian drawings, likely Minakov's, are of a Standard SM-2, a later missile that was itself a modification/upgrade of an SM-1. I would judge these to be, some what ironically, very accurate. The three after that are some that I've had for years proporting to be a Standard ARM but the few listed dimensions make these drawings not a lot of help. I have a hypothesis, based on very scant evidence, that these three drawings are the basis of the Launch Pad kit. The final drawing is the first drawing cut down.

What's interesting is there is some agreement on the dimensions and some of the station lengths between the "Standard ER" drawings and the Standard ARM drawings but none of them depict the fairings between the end of the strakes and the steering fins which are a key indentifier between a late Terrier and a Standard SM 1. These fairings seem to be aerodynamically necessitated by the change to a boattail as mentioned before. If you do an image search you'll see what I mean right away.

Very interesting.

Minakov drawings - RIM-66C

Ez2cDave 05-13-2023 01:31 PM

10 Attachment(s)
MINAKOV drawings - RIM 67B . . . 10 of 13

Dave F.

Ez2cDave 05-13-2023 01:33 PM

3 Attachment(s)
MINAKOV drawings RIM-67B . . . 11 - 13.

Dave F.

Chris_Timm 05-14-2023 08:20 PM

Standard pics