Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vintage Estes Silver Streak Build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18089)

scigs30 09-30-2019 02:32 PM

Vintage Estes Silver Streak Build

1 Attachment(s)
Pulled out another kit from my stash to build, the Estes Silver Streak, yes I know another simple boring build. I am ok with it since it is an OOP kit that needs to be built. I think this kit came out in 1990, parts are not bad for a 29 year old kit.

5x7 09-30-2019 07:44 PM

It’s a neat kit, the Chrome NC and foil decal make it look sharp and are difficult to clone.

scigs30 09-30-2019 10:34 PM

I was checking my stash, and I have 4 of these. I remember them being pretty cheap when I bought them.

tbzep 10-01-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I was checking my stash, and I have 4 of these. I remember them being pretty cheap when I bought them.

I have a few from the Hobby Lobby clearance aisle too. I built one for school demos. It's a great rocket for that purpose, with the D12 motor making a lot more smoke and noise and it being larger and heavier than the avg rocket makes it easy for the little kids to see and track. I had plans to heavily modify the design on the others, but never got around to building them.

BEC 10-01-2019 11:19 AM

tbzep, are you perhaps thinking of the Silver Comet (which uses the BT-80 V2 tail cone)? Silver Streak is closer to Alpha-sized.... :eek:

tbzep 10-01-2019 11:45 AM

Yep. That's what I get for not paying close attention or clicking on thumbnails. :o

scigs30 10-04-2019 09:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Almost done with the Silver Streak. I applied 4 coats of balsa sealer to the fins, no primer but the plans call for using white paint followed by fluorescent Orange/Red paint. I used Krylong Acryli Quik white, followed by Fluorescent Orange/Red paint. The only paint I could find of this color was at my local hardware store and it is Rusto-leum. I am not a fan of Rusto-Leum but I really didn't have a choice. This paint does not have the new lame nozzles but the old simple small nozzle. Also this paint dries to touch in 15 min and has no re coat window, so after using this paint I am pretty happy. I will allow to dry a day before applying the stick on decals.

LeeR 10-04-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Yep. That's what I get for not paying close attention or clicking on thumbnails. :o

Well, you just had me figuring that was in the days before your “low and slow” demo flying. :rolleyes:

PaulK 10-05-2019 07:08 AM

The chrome NC really makes this simple design stand out. Sounds liike you're really having fun building vintage kits!

scigs30 10-06-2019 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This simple vintage build is complete coming in at 30 grams minus engine. The foil decal was a little challenging, because of the age I did not use Windex to assist so it was one shot and hope it comes out straight. On to my next vintage Estes build.