Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can Yellowing Be Reversed? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=21020)

GuyNoir 09-28-2022 06:25 AM

Can Yellowing Be Reversed?

I built an Estes Saturn V three years ago, flew it a couple times, and then boxed it up and put it away. When I pulled it out earlier this year, it had yellowed badly.

Anybody got a technique to reverse this or am I stuck repainting this beast?

If I do have to repaint, what recommendations are there to avoid yellowing the new paint job?

Thanks!

astronwolf 09-28-2022 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNoir
I built an Estes Saturn V three years ago, flew it a couple times, and then boxed it up and put it away. When I pulled it out earlier this year, it had yellowed badly.

Anybody got a technique to reverse this or am I stuck repainting this beast?

If I do have to repaint, what recommendations are there to avoid yellowing the new paint job?

Thanks!

The oils in the paint oxidized. I've read that heat and lack of light can exacerbate the yellowing. Place the rocket in a well-lit area, or even sunlight. It might reverse the yellowing. Easier than repainting and you have nothing to loose except a yellow Saturn V. Maybe in the future try a water-based paint?

ghrocketman 09-28-2022 08:14 AM

White Lacquer/Dope finish is much more durable against yellowing over enamel.
Flat enamels also are better than gloss against yellowing.
Catalyzed Automotive Urethane ( Dupont Imron, PPG Ditzler Deltron ) is the most stable and tough finish possible but it is expensive and extremely hazardous to shoot due to isocyanates in the hardener. Do not spray without a positive pressure respirator. A normal charcoal filter face mask will NOT do.
Pretty sure you will end up refinishing at least all the white.

Gus 09-28-2022 06:58 PM

Bunny,

Sorry to hear this.

What paint did you use?

Steve

GuyNoir 09-29-2022 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
BWhat paint did you use?

Pretty sure it was Rustoleum.

Bill 09-29-2022 07:02 AM

Bunny, you could always use a yellowed photo for your scale data...

Bill

ghrocketman 09-29-2022 11:59 AM

Rust-Oleum is one of the worst whites when it comes to yellowing.
While Fuel-Proof for R/C glow fuel use, it leaves a lot to be desired for color longevity.
I like most of their colors in their original formulation (not that 2X nonsense product), I never use their white.

astronwolf 09-29-2022 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Rust-Oleum is one of the worst whites when it comes to yellowing.

This is unfortunate. The "pro" Rustoleum white in the tall silver can is my go to for painting rockets white. I haven't used it for a scale rocket. I haven't suffered from bad yellowing, at least, no yellowing that I've noticed or object to.

My Astrobee 1500 from 9 years ago is still white where it needs to be white. It didn't yellow. I think I used Valspar white for that rocket.

tbzep 09-29-2022 05:45 PM

Pretend it's a vintage Les Paul, say a '58 or '59. Yellowing of the binding (trim) and checking of the lacquer paint just adds to the character. :cool:

Earl 09-29-2022 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Pretend it's a vintage Les Paul, say a '58 or '59. Yellowing of the binding (trim) and checking of the lacquer paint just adds to the character. :cool:

...and now they sell ‘em ready made like that!

Earl