Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bill Stine Retirement Announced (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=21034)

Scott_650 10-01-2022 07:08 AM

Bill Stine Retirement Announced

1 Attachment(s)
Announcement on the Estes company FB page that Bill is retiring. I attached a screenshot if you’re not a FB user and would like to read what Bill had to say. Retirement was a bittersweet time for me but after the transition I’m enjoying it - best wishes to Bill and hope he enjoys his as well!

Earl 10-01-2022 06:58 PM

With Bill’s retirement, it may be the first time since the inception of th hobby of model rocketry that a Stine will not be directly involved in the hobby either with a manufacturer or administration of the NAR.

Good luck Bill in retirement!

Earl

astronwolf 10-01-2022 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
With Bill’s retirement, it may be the first time since the inception of th hobby of model rocketry that a Stine will not be directly involved in the hobby either with a manufacturer or administration of the NAR.

You might be making this profound announcement prematurely. It's not like he's 102 years old and will be spending his time doing puzzles.

Earl 10-01-2022 09:16 PM

That was based on the assumption that Bill would no longer be working directly for another rocket manufacturer or be a future president of the NAR or a board member. Either Harry or Bill has or had a position such as that somewhere in the hobby best I can recall since the latter 50s. I wasn’t talking about just simply ‘being involved’ in the hobby.

If Bill is gonna go to work for another company, start another rocket company, or become a NAR board member or president, become the NAR mag editor, etc., then my comment would not apply.

Earl

ghrocketman 10-02-2022 01:26 PM

Bummer loss for Estes.

Royatl 10-02-2022 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl

Good luck Bill in retirement!

Earl

except for the three years between him selling Quest to Gary and John asking him to come to Estes.

Initiator001 10-02-2022 10:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Bill Stine...

Retired....

Hard to believe.

It seemed like only yesterday (Okay, it was 35 years ago) that Bill and I worked together at Enertek.

We were going to change the hobby of model rocketry forever.
Well, that didn't work out. :rolleyes:

Enjoy retirement Bill! :)

Bob

PS: You are still a weenie. :D

Blushingmule 10-03-2022 12:45 AM

..I have one somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Bill Stine...

Retired....

Hard to believe.

It seemed like only yesterday (Okay, it was 35 years ago) that Bill and I worked together at Enertek.

We were going to change the hobby of model rocketry forever.
Well, that didn't work out. :rolleyes:

Enjoy retirement Bill! :)

Bob

PS: You are still a weenie. :D

Bob,
Somewhere in the stash there's an Enertek catalog-the years have surely zipped by.

Other Bob

samb 10-03-2022 02:27 PM

I found this comment interesting: "Another big task was to re-establish our factory relationship in China since they got hurt pretty badly financially in the HOBBICO bankruptcy." I wonder if reshoring the kit manufacturing operation was considered. My guess is it was. Anyway retirement from Estes could just mean on to the next thing.