Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   For Sale (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   George's rocket auction for May (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18490)

georgegassaway 05-04-2020 12:12 PM

George's rocket auction for May

Needing to raise some money for various reasons, I am auctioning a number of kits and a couple of books by Peter Alway.
All the auctions end Sunday night, May 10th, beginning around 10 PM EST.

Use THIS LINK to navigate to all of the items I am auctioning.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/george187/m.html

Rockets of the World book, 2nd edition, by Peter Alway

Retro Rockets Experimental Rockets 1926-1941, book by Peter Alway

Centuri Flying Saucer (Alien Scoutship)

Cox Space Shuttle America twin gliders model rocket - 1990 reissue of original 1970 model.

Estes Interceptor-E

Estes NOMAD (kit uses the same plastic parts as the Saros)

Estes Space Ship One (2” diameter kit)

Estes Sweet Vee R/C Rocket Glider

Estes Solar Sailer II

Estes Silver Comet

Estes Mammoth

Estes Black Star Voyager

Estes Orbital Transport #1259 (reissue from a few years back)

Monogram 1/72 Space Shuttle Orbiter plastic model kit

Quest Tomahawk Missile SLCM

Vector Aero Stingray-III R/C Rocket Glider kit (FAI medal winning S8E design by Kevin McKiou, using composite foam/fiberglass/graphite fabrication)

See the attached image of the books and kits.

Use THIS LINK to navigate to all of the items I am auctioning.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/george187/m.html

ratchetman 05-04-2020 12:23 PM

It appears you will not let Canadians to bid on your rocket kits.

ghrocketman 05-04-2020 12:35 PM

Hmm... Might have to pick up that Nomad.

tbzep 05-04-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Hmm... Might have to pick up that Nomad.

Huge decal sheet... Might be troublesome to apply. I'd be tempted anyway. I had that model and it was one of my better looking ones at the time. It would also be prime for building a Saros. :cool:

ghrocketman 05-04-2020 05:29 PM

I already have 2 Nomad kits and I was also thinking "Saros".
The Saros was produced in larger numbers over a longer time, but they go for far more $$.
Seeing as this one is opened, it's a builder.

Earl 05-04-2020 06:33 PM

It’s not particularly a kit I am after, but the Nomad does not seem to surface all that often.

I know others have spoken of the stability issues that could sometimes occur with the Saros, and so I wonder if this repackaged version of the Saros parts in a longer rocket was a way to solve some of those stability problems.

I built a Saros several years ago and though I have not flown it as of yet, it’s fin area does seem a bit skimpish.

Earl

tbzep 05-04-2020 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
It’s not particularly a kit I am after, but the Nomad does not seem to surface all that often.

I know others have spoken of the stability issues that could sometimes occur with the Saros, and so I wonder if this repackaged version of the Saros parts in a longer rocket was a way to solve some of those stability problems.

I built a Saros several years ago and though I have not flown it as of yet, it’s fin area does seem a bit skimpish.

Earl

The reason my Nomad is not with me anymore is because it tipped off the pad. Fins are small so I don't think I could blame it on weather cocking, but it's long and a lot of it's weight was ahead of the lug. I wouldn't be surprised if it tipped and pinched a little. After tipping, it flew perfectly straight, nearly horizontally into a tree, so I'd say the fin area was plenty on it! If I knew then what I know now, I'd know for sure what happened. ;)

georgegassaway 05-04-2020 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetman
It appears you will not let Canadians to bid on your rocket kits.

I always add insurance. The USPS won't allow for insurance for packages mailed to Canada, unless it's a crazy expensive value not worth it for a kit. I learned this the sort of hard way, sweated out that a $100+ kit made it to Canada safely. Don't want to run those risks again.

Sorry.

georgegassaway 05-04-2020 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The reason my Nomad is not with me anymore is because it tipped off the pad. Fins are small so I don't think I could blame it on weather cocking, but it's long and a lot of it's weight was ahead of the lug. I wouldn't be surprised if it tipped and pinched a little. After tipping, it flew perfectly straight, nearly horizontally into a tree, so I'd say the fin area was plenty on it! If I knew then what I know now, I'd know for sure what happened. ;)

I was surprised to realize the Nomad only had ONE launch lug, and it is sorta short ( only 1.25"!). I had to check the instructions to see if a 2nd lug was missing, but nope.

Single short lug OK for an Astron Scout, not for a meter-tall rocket. If I built this to fly, I'd go with two lugs 12" apart or more, or a very long lug at the CG.

Earl 05-04-2020 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

The Nomad though was some decent amount longer than the Saros though, right? My thought was they took the Saros plastic parts and made a new, longer (and by definition, more stable) rocket using longer tubes. Or am I mistaken that the Nomad was a fair amount longer? That was the thought I was putting forward, which based on your experience, it does sound like the Nomad certainly was stable.

Earl