Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Designer's Studio (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   BARCLONE Designer's Studio 2009 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4419)

CPMcGraw 01-01-2009 12:39 PM

BARCLONE Designer's Studio 2009

This post marks the beginning of our 2009 edition of the Studio. Please use this thread to post BARCLONE-related material and model rocket designs.

CPMcGraw 01-01-2009 12:45 PM

Design Count Update

CPMcGraw 01-01-2009 05:56 PM

SEMROC Body Tube Database File for RockSim 9

2 Attachment(s)
Everyone,

Over the last few days, an attempt has been made to create a complete set of component database files (CSV files) for SEMROC items. Small sections of this work has already been posted, but as we check our work, we're finding measurement precision errors in the entries. The problem is easy to correct, but it is equally easy to slip through the cracks.

The new file, attached below, is the full set of body tubes as offered on the SEMROC website. It is being put here for review, so wait before we announce an "all clear" to install it.

Addendum: OK, so much for my ability to pick the right file to upload. I've attached the Semroc BTDATA.CSV file below.

snaquin 01-01-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Everyone,

Over the last few days, an attempt has been made to create a complete set of component database files (CSV files) for SEMROC items. Small sections of this work has already been posted, but as we check our work, we're finding measurement precision errors in the entries. The problem is easy to correct, but it is equally easy to slip through the cracks.

The new file, attached below, is the full set of body tubes as offered on the SEMROC website. It is being put here for review, so wait before we announce an "all clear" to install it.

I hadn't run across any errors in the previously posted files yet but I've only used the components in two designs so far that I'm updating for BARCLONE. I kept a complete back up of my v9 install and it's easy enough to load the original component files back in. That's one thing I really like about RockSim is the ease in moving data in and out of the databases by editing the csv files.

Craig, a big thanks to you and Bill for you efforts with producing these component files!

:)

CPMcGraw 01-01-2009 10:41 PM

Correction to earlier post

The BTDATA file is now attached to my earlier post, along with the NCDATA file. These contain only those components from the Semroc website which can be drawn with the 'wizards'. There are almost as many that cannot be drawn that way, and for those, we'll have to generate RKT files later.

rkt2k1 01-02-2009 12:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the BHDATA (bulkhead) and TCDATA (tube coupler) data files that have been checked and verified for decimal precision.

Craig - please give these the once over and make sure the numeric precision looks ok. I used the technique you suggested in Microsoft Excel to ensure 3 decimal precision on all numeric fields.

Transition file may take a day or so to complete. I actually took a break from parts and was working on my first 2009 design. I hope to post both by the weekend.

Thanks for combining the nose cone and body tube parts into master files!

... Bill

CPMcGraw 01-02-2009 01:51 AM

Bill,

The data looks OK. The Estes Classic designs seem to have the proper 3-digit precision. I've already imported them into the program. Unless something breaks :eek: I'd say use them.

CPMcGraw 01-02-2009 02:00 AM

New Design -- 2009 Test Rocket

3 Attachment(s)
Here's my first for 2009. This is a simple 4FNC using the components from our new database files. I think the files are safe, now, after some teething trouble. This rocket is similar to our "Thunder" series from a few years ago, but uses a 13mm motor for power.

Length: 18.925"
Diameter: 0.908" (ST-8)
Fin Span: 3.908"
Weight: 1.001 oz

1/2 A3-2T......124'......Dv 17 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
A10-3T.........341'......Dv 21 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
A3-4T..........350'......Dv 9 FPS.......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 01-02-2009 02:08 AM

Design Count Update

CPMcGraw 01-02-2009 05:13 PM

First batch of Transitions and Tail Cones

1 Attachment(s)
This first file covers the Series 085 and Series 10 Tail Cones, and the list of standard transitions from the original file. Unless you just want to get a batch of Semroc items into RockSim, hold off on installing this file. Wait until a full set of parts is posted.

Bill, one change from the other files you will need to make is the precision of one column. The "Rear OD" column needs to be set at 4-digit precision if you try creating the reversed nose cones. The OD value needs to be set at 0.0001". This value gives RockSim something to chew on, while not being large enough to be noticed visually.

snaquin 01-02-2009 07:26 PM

New Design -- SLS Lune R-1

7 Attachment(s)
The SLS Lune R-1 is an upscale of the 1.04" diameter Semroc Lune R-1 to LT-175 tubing. This design shares many of the same parts as the Semroc SLS kits Aero-Dart & Explorer and includes the same removable engine mount for 24mm or 29mm flights.

I cut the fin set from basswood stock and used the same tab measurements to fit a Semroc pre-slotted body tube same as used in the SLS kits. This design uses LL-320 3/16" launch lugs although my test model used 1/4" lugs since that size is prevalent at the launch site I flew at. Lune R-1 upscaled color vinyl graphics by Graphix & Stuff. Some build pictures are included below. Pictures of the first F42-8T test flight in these links:

http://tinyurl.com/8a4x7j

http://tinyurl.com/axun89

http://tinyurl.com/7neq55

http://tinyurl.com/9troup

The F42T EconoJet using the 8 second delay proved to be a great choice for a picture perfect deployment on it's first flight. D12-5 & E9-6 flights would require a minimum 48" rod to get up to speed and those selections would be great for demo flights on a smaller field.

Length: 41.095"
Diameter: 1.840" (LT-175)
Span Dia: 7.146"
Weight: 6.807 oz

D12-5......529'......Dv 17 FPS......48" x 3/16" rod
E9-6........875'......Dv 29 FPS......48" x 3/16" rod
F42-8....1,861'......Dv 3 FPS.......36" x 3/16" rod

Thanks for looking!

Mark II 01-02-2009 07:40 PM

A great version of a great rocket, Steve. The Lune-R1 is perfect for SLS upscaling! Nice job!

Mark \\.

rkt2k1 01-02-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:
This first file covers the Series 085 and Series 10 Tail Cones, and the list of standard transitions from the original file. Unless you just want to get a batch of Semroc items into RockSim, hold off on installing this file. Wait until a full set of parts is posted.

Bill, one change from the other files you will need to make is the precision of one column. The "Rear OD" column needs to be set at 4-digit precision if you try creating the reversed nose cones. The OD value needs to be set at 0.0001". This value gives RockSim something to chew on, while not being large enough to be noticed visually.

Craig, I'll focus on the standard Semroc balsa reducers (transitions) and follow your lead regarding including both a normal and reversed part. I was just setting up the base template with decimal precision when I saw the file you posted. I am going to use it as template for basic transitions. I will probably post file later tonight for review.

After working with the .CSV files, I believe this is an area of Rocksim that the developers should look to update. Maybe a move to XML similar to the design file format. The .CSV files are not inherently the problem, but I've seen many inconsistencies while working with the files.

Some include:

- Extra field columns showing up at the end of the file.
- Question marks "?" appearing in the data.
- The inconsistent use of words versus value codes. (i.e. oz and mm versus 0 and 1, etc.)
- Errors in the data cause Rocksim to crash. (Stronger field validation could correct.)

Not complaining here. All these can be cleaned up and corrected manually. It's just my programming background showing through. I think the Rocksim program is a fantastic piece of software. I wouldn't be spending so much time in the data files if I didn't think so. However correcting some of these minor issues could make a great program even better! :)

... Bill

CPMcGraw 01-02-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Craig, I'll focus on the standard Semroc balsa reducers (transitions) and follow your lead regarding including both a normal and reversed part. I was just setting up the base template with decimal precision when I saw the file you posted. I am going to use it as template for basic transitions. I will probably post file later tonight for review.

You're going to tackle the Estes Classic transitions, too, right?

Quote:
After working with the .CSV files, I believe this is an area of Rocksim that the developers should look to update. Maybe a move to XML similar to the design file format. The .CSV files are not inherently the problem, but I've seen many inconsistencies while working with the files.

Some include:

- Extra field columns showing up at the end of the file.
- Question marks "?" appearing in the data.
- The inconsistent use of words versus value codes. (i.e. oz and mm versus 0 and 1, etc.)
- Errors in the data cause Rocksim to crash. (Stronger field validation could correct.)

I noticed those extra fields, too, but left them in place for this set, since the master file had them and it did not seem to be causing trouble. Yet, anyway. As for the words vs numerical values, it's probably a holdover from the earlier versions. I don't think these data files have changed that much over releases, other than adding new items.

As for those "?" in the data, are you seeing these in Notepad? In Calc, I see "xxx" whenever the column width is too small to show the data. If I resize the column, the data comes back up.

Quote:
Not complaining here. All these can be cleaned up and corrected manually. It's just my programming background showing through. I think the Rocksim program is a fantastic piece of software. I wouldn't be spending so much time in the data files if I didn't think so. However correcting some of these minor issues could make a great program even better! :)

... Bill

I understand. And I agree. RockSim has a lot of potential and could be a very strong program with just a little clean-up. I do know this -- Apogee wants RS to be a teaser for the high-end program, RockSim Pro. I'll bet the code is much the same, though, just with some additional code hooks.

One thing I wish RockSim had was a way for third-party code to be hooked in, with published API points.

Anyway, I'll tackle the tailcones. It won't take too long, maybe by tomorrow night. I'll combine your file with mine to complete the collection and post it as a single CSV.

rkt2k1 01-03-2009 01:22 AM

Semroc Balsa Reducers (Transitions) - Rocksim Parts

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the DRAFT parts file for the Semroc balsa reducers (transitions.) It includes all transitions currently available on Semroc's web site except:

- BR-1120NT

It also contains "reversed" parts which are designated with a [R] after the part number. This allows you to easily add "small to large" and "large to small" transitions without the need to re-input data values. Have to give Craig credit for this cool time saver! :)

For CG location I used the same 71% of length used for nosecones for the standard transitions and to 29% of length for the "reversed" transitions. This can be changed based on any thoughts / feedback provided.

This file should be considered DRAFT for review purposes only until it can be validated and combined with the tail cone parts that Craig is working on.

Thanks,

... Bill

snaquin 01-03-2009 11:06 AM

New Design -- SLS Magnum D Hornet

3 Attachment(s)
SLS Magnum-D Hornet

Based on 5341 Centuri Magnum-D Hornet available from 1980-1983. Uses BTH-70 tubing and a BNC-70HAC nose cone are the same as used with the Semroc SLS ARCAS with a 29mm mount and EM-9115 for 24mm flights. Basswood fins, ejection baffle with elastic cord and other Semroc SLS kit standards that make for a strong and reliable rocket.

Length: 33.410"
Diameter: 2.247" (BTH-70)
Span Dia: 9.887"
Weight: 10.072 oz

D12-3.........305'.........Dv 11 FPS.........72" rod & calm conditions or Not Recommended
E9-4...........597'.........Dv 21 FPS.........Not Recommended (Don't even think about it)
F24-7.......1,364'.........Dv 10 FPS.........48" x 3/16" rod

Best suited for RMS or EconoJets. Try the RoadRunner single use E, F and G motors in your simulations. Not a good candidate for Estes D and E flights. Probably a good design to consider three motor clusters .....

Thanks for looking!

snaquin 01-03-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
A great version of a great rocket, Steve. The Lune-R1 is perfect for SLS upscaling! Nice job!

Mark \\.

Thanks Mark .....

It proved to be a really simple but enjoyable build and it gets a lot of attention at the flying field. I fly it with my PerfectFlite Alt15K in the payload section and the black plastic rivets in the photo links are to secure the nose cone.

CPMcGraw 01-03-2009 01:11 PM

rkt2k1 01-03-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
SLS Magnum-D Hornet

Based on 5341 Centuri Magnum-D Hornet available from 1980-1983.

Steve - another great looking SLS upscale design!

I like how you incorporated the engine baffle into the design.

Keep 'em coming!

... Bill

Tau Zero 01-03-2009 04:44 PM

"Got some 'splainin' to do..."

Quote:
For CG location I used the same 71% of length used for nosecones for the standard transitions and to 29% of length for the "reversed" transitions. This can be changed based on any thoughts / feedback provided.
Craig and Bill,

You guys are getting kind of sophisticated for me. :o

Can you explain (in layman's terms) what the thinking is behind specifying the CG locations in these balsa parts? ('Cause frankly I'm pretty clueless as to why you're doing that. :eek: )

Cheers,

Peartree 01-03-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Craig and Bill,

Can you explain (in layman's terms) what the thinking is behind specifying the CG locations in these balsa parts? ('Cause frankly I'm pretty clueless as to why you're doing that. :eek: )

Cheers,

I have no involvement in this project, but one of the easiest ways to calculate the CG of an assembly is to sum the CG's of the component parts (with a little manipulation based on their relative locations).

CPMcGraw 01-03-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:
Craig and Bill,

Cheers,

You mean, why did we choose 71% as the position of the CG, or why we bothered at all? :D

The 71% location is a "best guess" ball-park figure for "getting the location close". It's not accurate, and can probably use some tweaking in the future. I'm already thinking that the value will be different with each shape, as some have more "bulk" in one direction than the other. It will help in the total balance of the model because RockSim uses these figures to work from, as a "starting point". It will, in the long haul, improve the flight simulation reports of our designs.

snaquin 01-03-2009 07:08 PM

New Design -- Lune R-1 Plus 1

3 Attachment(s)
Lune R-1 Plus 1

A simple booster added to the stock Lune R-1 kit for two staged flights. Only mod to the Lune R-1 sustainer is to move the rear centering ring slightly forward to clear the tube coupler on the booster. Fins are the same KV-35 fin set on the booster only reversed for a seamless transition.

Length: 26.275"
Diameter: 1.040" (ST-10)
Span Dia: 4.040"
Weight: 1.715 oz

B6-0 / A8-5..........637'.........Dv 11 FPS.........36" x 1/8" rod
B6-0 / B6-6..........906'.........Dv 19 FPS.........36" x 1/8" rod
C6-0 / B6-6.......1,292'.........Dv 5 FPS...........36" x 1/8" rod
C6-0 / C6-7.......1,728'.........Dv 30 FPS.........36" x 1/8" rod

May want to swap out the parachute for a streamer on high altitude flights .....

snaquin 01-03-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:
Steve - another great looking SLS upscale design!

I like how you incorporated the engine baffle into the design.

Keep 'em coming!

... Bill

Thanks Bill

I guess it's pretty obvious but I'm an SLS freak.

I'm finding I have a few designs including some that have been built and flown that I entered into RockSim and either posted them to other threads on the forum or just neglected to consider posting to BARCLONE. Shame on me .....

The next design I'll rework is an FSI rocket that was one of my favorite two stagers. I have to rework it with Semroc parts because all my FSI rockets were entered into RockSim 5 and I used FSI parts when I entered the data to create the files.

CPMcGraw 01-03-2009 07:39 PM

New Design -- 2009 Test Rocket B

3 Attachment(s)
OK, so not exactly a "new" design, just something to test the new components with. Actually doesn't have bad C6-7 performance.

Length: 19.85"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 4.54"
Weight: 1.24 oz

A6-4Q......213'......Dv 23 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod......Parachute reefed
A8-3.......240'......Dv 10 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
B4-4.......574'......Dv 27 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod......Parachute reefed
C6-7......1336'......Dv 18 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 01-03-2009 09:26 PM

NCDATA Error

1 Attachment(s)
I just spotted an error in the NCDATA file, while transferring the data for transitions and tailcones. The "Rear OD" and "Insert OD" dimensions for the ST-20 series appear to be the same as the ST-18 series, with the exception of the first entry.

That's why we need additional pairs of eyes looking through these files besides ours. This is an on-going process, and there might be more errors before all of this data is ready.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled interruptions... :o

CPMcGraw 01-03-2009 10:27 PM

TRDATA File (Reducers and Tailcones)

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the new TRDATA file, containing all of the wizard-gerated reducers and tailcones in the SEMROC lineup. Any nose cones that we could not put into the NCDATA file will likewise not be found here.

We still need you to look through the data before committing to the installation, however, barring any last-second "gotchas", the file should be usable.

CPMcGraw 01-03-2009 10:32 PM

rkt2k1 01-03-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:
Craig and Bill,

Cheers,

Jay,

Because Craig said to why of course! :chuckle:

Actually, I think we are just shooting for as much accuracy as possible. As Craig mentioned, 71% is an estimate based on general shape of cones / transitions. Since we added "reversed" transitions and tail cones, it seemed logical that the CG location would switch orientation as well since the majority of the mass in the components was now also reversed. Again, these estimations are up for review / discussion and can be overridden and calculated by Rocksim.

... Bill

rkt2k1 01-03-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:
I just spotted an error in the NCDATA file, while transferring the data for transitions and tailcones. The "Rear OD" and "Insert OD" dimensions for the ST-20 series appear to be the same as the ST-18 series, with the exception of the first entry.

That's why we need additional pairs of eyes looking through these files besides ours. This is an on-going process, and there might be more errors before all of this data is ready.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled interruptions... :o

Craig - nice catch! Yeah, the more eyes looking at these files the better!

After a while, one can get a little bleary eyed working directly with the CSV files! :eek:

I'm trying my best to review parts in design mode in Rocksim prior to submitting files to forum. But there be a lot of parts in them there files. :D

... Bill

CPMcGraw 01-04-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:
Craig - nice catch! Yeah, the more eyes looking at these files the better!

After a while, one can get a little bleary eyed working directly with the CSV files! :eek:

I'm trying my best to review parts in design mode in Rocksim prior to submitting files to forum. But there be a lot of parts in them there files. :D

... Bill

I'm keeping local copies of these files in the ODS format, which preserves any formulas I want to use. That formula for figuring out the CG location is just such an animal, as I only have to do the formula once and copy/paste it down the column.

So, have we completed anything (pending review)? I think we've worked on BTDATA (body tubes), BHDATA (bulkheads), NCDATA (nose cones), TCDATA (tube couplers), and TRDATA (transitions, reducers, and tail cones). Have we actually completed the data for all of the SEMROC components in these categories, for both SEMROC Standards and LTs, and Estes Classics?

What other components have we not worked on yet? CRDATA (centering rings)? EBDATA (engine blocks)? LLDATA (launch lugs)? PCDATA (parachutes)? STDATA (streamers)? SLDATA (sleeves)? MODATA (mass objects)?

I just noticed RTDATA and TFDATA. Want to guess what these cover? :eek:

CPMcGraw 01-04-2009 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Thanks Bill

I guess it's pretty obvious but I'm an SLS freak.

I'm finding I have a few designs including some that have been built and flown that I entered into RockSim and either posted them to other threads on the forum or just neglected to consider posting to BARCLONE. Shame on me .....

The next design I'll rework is an FSI rocket that was one of my favorite two stagers. I have to rework it with Semroc parts because all my FSI rockets were entered into RockSim 5 and I used FSI parts when I entered the data to create the files.

Sorry I haven't said "Thanks" earlier. I've been a bit... distracted... :o :D

I really like that Hornet. I have a clone of the standard version waiting for some yellow paint. One day this century, I'll try to get around to it.

rkt2k1 01-04-2009 01:30 AM

Quote:
So, have we completed anything (pending review)? I think we've worked on BTDATA (body tubes), BHDATA (bulkheads), NCDATA (nose cones), TCDATA (tube couplers), and TRDATA (transitions, reducers, and tail cones). Have we actually completed the data for all of the SEMROC components in these categories, for both SEMROC Standards and LTs, and Estes Classics?

I think pending final review, BTDATA, BHDATA, NCDATA, TCDATA, and TRDATA are as complete as possible based on the parts that can be created without using sub-assembly feature. I have included all parts from Semroc's website, including LTs and Estes classics, with files I've submitted.

Quote:
What other components have we not worked on yet? CRDATA (centering rings)? EBDATA (engine blocks)? LLDATA (launch lugs)? PCDATA (parachutes)? STDATA (streamers)? SLDATA (sleeves)? MODATA (mass objects)?

Yes, I think these are the next part sets to begin working on. Not as much data on web site for some of these. Is the Material CSV data file updated for some of these parts? I was specifically thinking of the fiber used in some of the centering rings.

Quote:
I just noticed RTDATA and TFDATA. Want to guess what these cover? :eek:

RTDATA = Ring Fins
TFDATA = Tube Fins

Neither have any data loaded in the default parts files.

Any particular parts area you'd like me to focus on next. Let me know.

... Bill

CPMcGraw 01-04-2009 01:33 AM

New Plan -- Mini Alpha

3 Attachment(s)
Another reduced-size version of one of the all-time favorite designs. This is an ST-8 variation of the Astron Alpha, using 13mm motors. The performance on the A3-4T is rather zippy.

Length: 12.00"
Diameter: 0.908" (ST-8)
Fin Span: 3.91"
Weight: 0.68 oz

1/2 A3-4T......215'......Dv 23 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod
A3-4T..........528'......Dv 17 FPS......36" x 1/8" rod

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 01-04-2009 01:42 AM

Quote:
I think pending final review, BTDATA, BHDATA, NCDATA, TCDATA, and TRDATA are as complete as possible... Is the Material CSV data file updated for some of these parts? I was specifically thinking of the fiber used in some of the centering rings.

I was wondering about the materials file. We might want to create a new entry for "Matteboard" and use Carl's numbers for the 0.020", 0.050", and 0.070" boards he works with. That data could then be used to update the centering rings data already in the file.

Quote:
RTDATA = Ring Fins
TFDATA = Tube Fins

Neither have any data loaded in the default parts files.

I was hoping Jay would take notice of those two... :D

I'm not sure just yet how those data files are supposed to work, since there's nothing in them.

Quote:
Any particular parts area you'd like me to focus on next. Let me know.

Right now, only CRDATA and EBDATA are critical, since they have the most items. The remaining files can probably stay as they are, unless or until something new gets added. If you'd like to tackle those two, it works for me. I'll look at the LLDATA file, and see if anything is missing (I know already of a few missing items...).

CPMcGraw 01-04-2009 03:06 PM

New Plan -- Tiger Tail

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a two-stage design for Semroc components. It was one of the sketches posted last month, with minor adjustments.

Length: 29.75"
Diameter: 1.04" (ST-10)
Fin Span: 5.04"
Weight: 2.11 oz

B6-0 / A8-5......592'.......Dv 15 FPS
B6-0 / B6-6......872'.......Dv 19 FPS
C6-0 / A8-5......996'.......Dv 10 FPS
C6-0 / B6-6......1245'......Dv 7 FPS
B6-0 / C6-7......1424'......Dv 29 FPS......parachute reefed
C6-0 / C6-7......1762'......Dv 24 FPS......parachute reefed

All combinations require a 48" x 3/16" rod for reaching safe flight V.

Enjoy!

CPMcGraw 01-04-2009 03:08 PM

TRDATA Error found

Bill,

Check the REAR OD values in the reversed transitions. I found one while working the Tiger Tail design (BR-710 [R]) that has a 0.0001" rear diameter. There may be others like this. That diameter was only used with the reversed nose cones.

snaquin 01-04-2009 03:44 PM

New Design -- Mach 1 Dart with RX-1 Thruster System

6 Attachment(s)
Mach 1 Dart with RX-1 Thruster System

I flew my first Mach 1 Dart with RX-1 Thruster System when I was a teenager .....

After several flights purchasing the motors (RX-1 Thruster System) I looked for a less expensive alternative and something for small field flights. The Dart model and booster that I built in the images below have the 21mm mounts in both stages, meaning Semroc ST-8F tubing less the motor mount in the Dart. When FSI 21mm motors were available I used D20 or D18's in the booster and usually D18's in the Dart. Always turned in perfect flights.

This design is based on 18mm motors and uses all Semroc parts. The chamfer on the top of the booster on the original was actually the top of the F100-0 that had been rounded for a smoother transition between the Dart and the booster. This is the perfect place to use Apogee Fix-It Epoxy clay. The inside tube should be just a little longer so you can run a little snake of clay around the tube and smooth a really nice transition. If you look closely you can see this on the images with the booster separated from the Dart.

Use 1.00" motor overhang to give the Dart motor enough length to slide into the booster ST-30 mount.

Length: 24.85"
Diameter: 0.921" Dart (ST-8F) / 1.170" Booster (ST-11)
Span Dia: 4.920"
Weight: 1.551 oz

C6-0 / C6-7.......2,181'.........DV 3 FPS.........36" x 1/8" rod

For kicks I left the data in the flight simulations from a Mach-1 Dart two stage model, since I revised my FSI file that used parts data that I had recorded from an original kit.

F100-0 / D20-10.......3,249'.......DV 26 FPS.......36" x 1/4" rod
Max Velocity: 1,070 Feet / Sec.
Max Acceleration: 1,778 Feet / Sec / Sec

snaquin 01-04-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry I haven't said "Thanks" earlier. I've been a bit... distracted... :o :D

I really like that Hornet. I have a clone of the standard version waiting for some yellow paint. One day this century, I'll try to get around to it.

I'm always happy to contribute to BARCLONE and having some extra time off for the Holidays gave me a little extra time to play with version 9 and mess with a few old files.

rkt2k1 01-04-2009 04:20 PM

TDDATA file error ???

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Bill,

Check the REAR OD values in the reversed transitions. I found one while working the Tiger Tail design (BR-710 [R]) that has a 0.0001" rear diameter. There may be others like this. That diameter was only used with the reversed nose cones.

Craig,

I checked both the TRDATA file I posted and submitted and the master TRDATA file you posted with the combined tailcones, and could not find the error you mentioned. I looked at the entire file and only the tailcones show rear diameter of 0.0001". I've posted screen shots of the two files in Excel.

... Bill