Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Satuen 1B Service Module Wrap (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6719)

sandman 03-07-2010 01:57 PM

Satuen 1B Service Module Wrap

2 Attachment(s)
I'm doing this for a customer and I thought since the SEMROC Saturn 1B is such a popular model I would make it available.

Here is what I am scratching my head over.

I believe the "wrap" is chrome although it could just be metalic silver and that is easy enough to print.

But. I could print it on the chrome mylar like the Quasar decal and just print the white and black.

That would make it peal and stick which wouldn't be that bad. It may even be easier to do than waterslide.

I just finished the drawing and I don't have it ready to print yet. There are some adjustments to be made before I can do that.

Anything in the picture that is gray will be silver on the finished decal.

Ideas, comments critisisms?

the mole 03-07-2010 03:01 PM

I like the chrome mylar idea. Will these be for sale to the rest of us?

Robobud 03-07-2010 03:02 PM

I don't think that chrome looks right on a scale model. It may just be me, but my vote is for a bright sliver (water slide) version.

mperdue 03-07-2010 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I couldn't print with metalic colors so I had to settle for shading effects. Here's the wrap that I've been using for my service modules.

sandman 03-07-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
I like the chrome mylar idea. Will these be for sale to the rest of us?

Yes, it will be available...I just have to figure out if I'm printing silver, chrome or just white on chrome mylar.

Mario, I'm pretty sure mines identical to yours. Mine just has the seam in a different spot.

I need more votes.

Intruder 03-07-2010 07:22 PM

I'd say go the mylar route. That way the people who like to have shiny Saturns will have a matching shiny decal. The ones who like dull Saturns (such as myself) can just dull coat it with the rest of the rocket.

mperdue 03-07-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Yes, it will be available...I just have to figure out if I'm printing silver, chrome or just white on chrome mylar.

Mario, I'm pretty sure mines identical to yours. Mine just has the seam in a different spot.

I need more votes.

They are certainly very close. I'm guessing we started with some of the same reference materials. Feel free to use anything off mine that you want.

Mario

chanstevens 03-07-2010 08:50 PM

Well, I'd probably be good for a couple sets, would prefer silver rather than chrome or mylar.

sandman 03-07-2010 08:58 PM

I could offer both but which one is right?

dtomko 03-08-2010 08:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gordon,

The SM body wasn't a bright chrome; it was more like regular silver. If you look at photos of the spacecraft in space you can see the difference between the SM and CM, which is covered in mylar and much shinier. Testor's silver from a rattle can is very close, if that helps.

Drew