Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Vendor support (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6126)

mperdue 11-06-2009 07:31 AM

Vendor support

Since there has been a fair share of ugliness about a vendor in another thread, I thought I'd start one where I mention the support I've received over the years. I'm sure I'll overlook some vendors who deserve to be mentioned but I won't do so intentionally. I will skip Sheri's Hot Rockets because I've said my piece in that other thread. Some of the vendors I've purchased from are:

Semroc
What can I say about all the people at Semroc? Saying that they are the best of the best doesn't do them justice. High quality products, high quality support, and the nicest people you could ever meet. They are, hands down, the best model rocketry company there is.

FlisKits
Jim is another of the crown jewels of the model rocketry world. He produces high quality, innovative kits and supports them well. He also supports the hobby generously through donations to various events. NSL 2007 was much better due to his involvement and sponsorship.

Aerotech
When I first got into reloadable motors I was a bit confused by some of the assembly instructions. I called Aerotech and was connected to Gary - he walked me through the assembly of the motor over the phone. Later, I found that the instructions were clarified to make the assembly steps more clear but Gary's willingness to help me out was great. Again, great products, great support.

LOC Precision
For many of my larger kits I get my parts from LOC. They have always delivered what I need quickly.

Pemberton Technologies
Very cool, retro designs. Very good support.

RoachWerks
Some of the finest, albeit limited production, scale kits I have ever seen. Wonderful stuff and, again, great support.

Advance Rocketry Group
One of the first vendors I purchased from when I got back into the hobby. Very easy to deal with even though they were shipping from Canada and dealing with those issues. First rate.

Feel free to add your comments about the vendors that you deal with.

Mario

Ltvscout 11-06-2009 07:37 AM

Good post, Mario. Thanks.

AFlyingMonkey 11-06-2009 07:47 AM

Aerotech has been one of the best companies I've dealt with in a long time. I had a D21-4 CATO on my Money to Burn rocket, shredding the engine mount. After taking pictures of the event and emailing them to the customer support over at Value Rocketry, I got another FULL PACK of D21-4s. I could understand sending another single engine, but a FULL PACK? I was thoroughly impressed. I WILL be ordering from them again very very soon.

wilsotr 11-06-2009 07:54 AM

Ditto Mario's post, and I'll add the following ....

PML
Bought parts from them mostly, but always received great products and service.

Giant Leap Rocketry
Ordered from them many times, never an issue, always great service.

RoachWerks
Mario mentioned Gordon already, but I can't praise him enough ... fantastic scale kits and great service. I can't imagine going anywhere else for a custom part ...

Apogee Components
Many orders, great service, never a problem. I don't think the hobby would be the same without RockSim.

Great thread, Mario. Thanks for posting.

tbzep 11-06-2009 08:00 AM

Let's not forget the rocketry community as a whole, who buy and sell rocketry items via the forum PM's on a one-to-one basis, eBay, YORF auctions, etc. We almost never hear of anyone getting the shaft, even though there are hundreds of transactions per day. These good folks are way too great in numbers to name off individually, but they are a big chunk of our hobby.

mperdue 11-06-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsotr
Apogee Components
Many orders, great service, never a problem. I don't think the hobby would be the same without RockSim.

-Slaps forehead-
I knew I'd forget a few great vendors...

Apogee Components
Tim and Co. have provided excellent support and some extraordinary products to the rocketry hobby for many years. I love the Saturn V kit that I built for my book. Tim was very supportive during this build.

Sirius Rocketry
Another great vendor that I forgot to mention the first time around. Their Saturn V kit was the subject of a LAUNCH Magazine build article I wrote. It's another great scale kit. Their other models are very eye-catching designs. Truly great support.

Mario

wilsotr 11-06-2009 08:14 AM

I forgot one too .... obviously, I'm getting old. Yikes!

Dr Zooch
Unique kits and great service. Nuff said.

And then there's Sheri. I bought two kits directly from her and another from a third party via eBay. Her service was slower than most (on the order of weeks), but I knew that in advance, fully expected it, and had no problem waiting. Never had a problem contacting her. I have every intention of buying from her again -- her Merc-Atlas and Gemini have unique parts and are just way cool -- but I'll probably wait a bit until things have settled down for her.

Just my 2 cents. Final I hope. Unless I think of someone else I've forgotten. :)

tbzep 11-06-2009 08:19 AM

I usually scratch build, so I don't buy a lot of kits from vendors. However, I get building supplies, tools, etc. from (alphabetically):

AC Supply (motors)
Balsa Machining Service (tubes, balsa)
Balsa USA (been a while on this one, aircraft ply, balsa, adhesives)
Micro Mark (tools, decal paper)
Microscale (Liquid Decal Film, Micro-Sol, Micro-Set)
SEMROC (a little of everything...ok a lot!)
Tower Hobbies (tools, motors, balsa, adhesives, R/C stuff, misc. stuff)

...and a few others that I'll think of after I walk away from the computer. All have given absolutely 100% top notch service and quality products.

Eagle3 11-06-2009 08:45 AM

I'd like to give kudos for some local vendors.

Miller Motor Works - Scott Miller is an amazing resource not just for the products he carries and sells at our launches (CTI, Loki, Road Runner, SkyRipper, etc). He is the go to person if you have any question or problem that is motor related. He selfishly volunteers his time at launches to make sure everyone has a safe and successful flight.

Red Arrow Hobbies - Dave McViegh attends nearly all our launches providing Estes, Quest, and Aerotech motors. Dave also sells kits and makes custom parts and is a pleasure doing business with. He also makes some awesome beer!

Impulse Buys - Jay Calvert is another on-site vendor selling Aerotech, CTI, Roadrunner, etc and always great to deal with.

BoosterVision - Art Upton has a variety of video payload systems and is always helpful with problems at launches

I totally agree with the majority of other vendors mentioned so far that I've had dealings with. I honestly can't think of a bad vendor.

jetlag 11-06-2009 08:47 AM

Q-Modeling:
Tom has a wonderful line upscale rockets. He was one of the first vendors I used when I got 'born again.' While he does not have a ton of offerings, his kits and customer service are first rate.
Red Arrow Hobbies:
Just a great selection and fabulous service.
Uncle Mike's Rocket Shack:
Wonderful selection and super service, as above. Quite involved in the hobby to all our benefit.
Launchpad 2000 (did I write that right?):
That gentleman is about as nice a guy this hobby could produce!
Rocket Doctor:
Now I know he not a 'vendor,' but his information and background knowledge should be worth a fortune. Again, a fantastic fellow in person, as well!
Sandman and Roachwerks and Excelsior:
Absolutely the best! Wish I could patent him and his love for the hobby!

I know there are several more, but my brain is kind a fried today; long week and up at 0300 every day.

Ditto what the rest have already posted x a bunch!

The info I have garnered here, also, is unparalleled. I continue to be surprised and astounded at the fantastic info. I can get from you folks.
Thanks to you all!!!!
Allen

GregGleason 11-06-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Great thread, Mario. Thanks for posting.

Hear, hear. Way to go Mario. I appreciate the many vendors in the hobby that are doing it right.

Greg

Eagle3 11-06-2009 01:38 PM

Haven't seen Discount Rocketry listed. I've always had great service from them going back to the Kevin Funk days.

luke strawwalker 11-06-2009 02:54 PM

I've dealt with and been quite pleased with:

Semroc-- AMAZING service and great products. They took extra time to show every suitable kit they had to my nephews at NSL 2007 in Muncie when the boys were looking for a suitable kit for their 4H rocketry project. I REALLY appreciated them taking the time and effort to do that, especially with two indecisive teenagers and their uncle, for what was only going to be the purchase of a couple or three kits at most... not like it was a MAJOR sale or anything or a big moneymaker for them... but they REALLY took the time and effort to help. My online purchases from them have all been just great experiences and amazing levels of service!

Dr. Zooch-- Wes has been terrific to deal with-- great quality, fair prices, and top-notch customer support. If you screw up a part during the build, even if it's "your" fault, he will send you the replacement part for free. He always does anything he can to help you get your kit flying, and even giving suggestions to those wanting to 'modify' the kit beyond what it was intended, as best he can. He's also very good on shipping-- I ordered some kits shortly before leaving for an extended trip to Indiana visiting the MIL, and had the shipping address listed to send them there. Wes contacted me to verify where he was shipping the kits, so they "wouldn't be sitting on the doorstep getting rained on for a couple weeks before I got home" as he put it. Once I verified the shipping address was correct (compared to my 'regular' address) I got the kits in a couple days in Indiana... I appreciated him taking the time to verify that *I* didn't goof up the order and put the wrong address in the wrong order box!

Apogee Components-- EXCELLENT customer service and I for one REALLY appreciate the efforts Tim expends to provide a newsletter with helpful hints, tips, and information, and to provide resources and knowledge to teachers and regular rocketeers alike to help them understand and learn more about the hows and whys of rocketry, and provides that service largely 'for free' as a service for the betterment of the hobby. Tim and his staff were VERY pleasant and friendly whenever I've ordered from them, and when I visited their plant in Colorado Springs; Tim himself took the time to welcome me and chat for a few minutes when he really didn't have to. His products are excellent, and though I've had a few 'issues' with Rocksim, it's been well worth the price, and Tim has made a good faith effort to address any problems I've had and make it right. The only thing that I found less than helpful was a comment he made about "shoulda bought a MAC" when I was having trouble running Rocksim on my Dell with Vista.

ESTES--I've gotten good service in the past, but it's rather hit or miss now. I had an Eliminator break the rubber band shock cord on the first flight and accordion the rocket, ruining it, and wrote Estes and to my surprise got a new Eliminator in the mail a few weeks later, but this has been nearly 20 years ago. More recently (last year) I flew and pranged my Mercury Redstone on it's maiden voyage because I used a C6-5 AS SUGGESTED on the package hangcard, which recommended a B6-4, C6-3, or C6-5 engine, and later found out from other 'old hand' rocketeers that you should NEVER fly a MR kit on anything but the C6-3. I wrote Estes about that and suggested they revise their hangtag to reflect the engine limitations of the rocket, and told them about mine crashing, and never heard anything.

What matters most to me is a GOOD FAITH EFFORT to make things right. OL JR :)

shrox 11-06-2009 06:27 PM

Where does Quest fit in?

mperdue 11-06-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrox
Where does Quest fit in?

I don't know, I've never actually ordered anything from them or needed any kind of support on their products. The Quest kits that I have came from a local hobby shop.

wilsotr 11-06-2009 08:16 PM

Quote:
Where does Quest fit in?

Someplace near the top of the "good guys" list. :) I've ordered from Quest several times and always found the service top-notch.

shrox 11-06-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:
Someplace near the top of the "good guys" list. :) I've ordered from Quest several times and always found the service top-notch.

Yahhh!

luke strawwalker 11-06-2009 10:18 PM

I've only just ordered from Quest a few months back, stocking up on engines during a sale, and getting some of those TERRIFIC new Q2G2 ignitors... Excellent service and terrific products.

Now that they've got Shrox on the payroll I expect to see some REALLY cool stuff... :) OL JR :)

shrox 11-06-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
...Now that they've got Shrox on the payroll I expect to see some REALLY cool stuff... OL JR

There's a payroll?!

luke strawwalker 11-07-2009 04:56 PM

Quote:
There's a payroll?!

Could be worse-- you could be a FARMER... :eek:

The pay is low but the hours are ok... :) OL JR :)

Gus 11-07-2009 06:01 PM

I want to add a few names to the list:

Aerospace Specialty Products (A.S.P.): Andy gives wonderful service and his products are top notch. Although he carries way more than just competition stuff, his competition kits (scale, egglofters, etc.) are great and his parts (pre-cut ultra-lightweight fiberglass fins and 1/4 mil parachutes are one of a kind in the supplier industry. I order a ton of stuff from ASP and they are always a pleasure to deal with.

Venus Rocketry: Mark Petrovich makes a variety of competition models but his FAI 40mm Spacemodeling Kit is his signature. Handmade fiberglass and mylar body tubes and nosecone, plus fins, 13mm motor mount tube, kevlar shock cord, 3 foam ejection plugs, and complete well-written instructions all for $12. This is a Big Bertha sized rocket that weighs less than an ounce! Mark is always wonderful to deal with. If you haven't flown one of his models you're really missing something.

Qualified Competition Rockets (Q.C.R.): Ken Brown makes kits of virtually every kind of rocket flown in NAR competition. A truly amazing resource and always a pleasure to deal with. If you've thought about entering a contest but are worried your model might not be too competitive, check out Ken's offerings. Very nice stuff at very reasonable prices. Only downside to Q.C.R. is that you have to plan in advance since there is no direct ordering and PayPaling on the website. This is a "phone Ken"or send a letter with an order and a check, style operation.

True Modeler's Rocket Kits: Really interesting Scale Models, not just for competiton. Outstanding quality kits, great attention to scale details. Check out their Juno-1, Aries "Fat Albert", and Pegasus. Always great service (which is really surprising considering some of the individuals involved in running the operation. ;) ).

Sunward 11-07-2009 10:41 PM

And where is Sunward ? :confused:

I have been trying to check this site at least once a day for the last little while. Looks like I need to check more often.

BlackBrant 11-08-2009 01:31 PM

Oh boy ,my first post ! Just had to chime in and list my favs ,

Apogee - well ,what can you say about Tim ! He and his staff wrote the book on customer service.

ARG ( been dealing with Taras for years....can never walk out of his shop without dropping under $800.00)

Red Arrow Hobbies - treats us canadians real good !

Commonwealth displays - again ,great to deal with and fast shipping !

True Modelers - always happy to help with the Q & A and cool kits (bought his Pegasus kit)

What`s Up Hobbies - another top notch bunch to deal with !

Stickershock 23 - Have not yet bought from Mark yet ,but he answers all my questions and is quick.

Hope to add to the list !

bob jablonski 11-08-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunward

I have been trying to check this site at least once a day for the last little while. Looks like I need to check more often.

I don't do much direct selling as I'm a manufacurer not a vendor. They may have figured you along those lines. Same as "E"and "Q".
Mr. Bob
Starlight guy
www.starlightrocketry.com

luke strawwalker 11-08-2009 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunward

Sorry... I've ordered parts from you guys before and had great service and prices. Everything was top notch.

My nephews built some of the fighter plane kits, and I REALLY like them and need to get some of them. I liked the "Ice Storm" one and a red "Tigershark" looking one I helped my nephew with for 4H... maybe it was a T-38 Talon... Sorta looked like that anyway.

Later! OL JR:)

tbzep 11-10-2009 09:10 PM

Winged Shadow Systems

I've got to mention Winged Shadow Systems.

I ordered a How High SP altimeter from them Friday. It was shipped the same day with email notifications, and it was in my mailbox Monday. They must know the same magic words as SEMROC and UMRS to get the USPS to move that fast. I'm looking forward to flying it soon.

UMRS 11-11-2009 10:15 AM

Thank you everyone who likes our shipping speed, Carl doesnt know we got his transporter patent :p

mperdue 11-11-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRS
Thank you everyone who likes our shipping speed, Carl doesnt know we got his transporter patent :p

He does now... :)

BlackBrant 11-11-2009 06:34 PM

I hope to give Uncle Mike some business some day.I`ll test his shipping to Canada ,although these things are never fully in a vendors control.

Got some dealings with Sandman (Roachworks) in the works.

It`s always a good thing to support vendors on these sites ,and the feedback is a bonus.

Vanel 11-11-2009 07:13 PM

I'd like to mention a few that have always delivered good product in a fast efficient manner:

Sunward Aerospace - buy a fair number of parts from this company; love their motor mounts!

Squirrel Works - Very cool designs, some retro.

Red River Rocketry - Very nice kits; John Dyer does not get enough credit for his stuff.

InFlight Rockets - The man knows how to please his customers; seems like there is a new kit every other week :)

There are so many great vendors out there, offering such a wide range of stuff - In everything except for LPR motors, we are truly in a rocket golden age!

sandman 11-11-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrant
I hope to give Uncle Mike some business some day.I`ll test his shipping to Canada ,although these things are never fully in a vendors control.

It`s always a good thing to support vendors on these sites ,and the feedback is a bonus.

Oh!

Is that you?

Paul, is it...I can never tel. :D

BlackBrant 11-11-2009 09:05 PM

Hi Gordon.....yup it`s me

sandman 11-11-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:
Hi Gordon.....yup it`s me

Canadian...BlackBrant

OK, I can remember that! :D

UMRS 11-12-2009 05:20 AM

Quote:

[B]Thank you, Canada is a strange place to ship stuff. Sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes it takes a few weeks. I have relatives that live in London Ontario. They have told me that once they mailed a letter 5 houses down the street. It took 10 business days to get there :)

On the good side of all the packages weve shipped to Canada only one has ever gotten lost.

BlackBrant 11-12-2009 05:33 PM

I usually have good luck with US vendors.I think any major delays are usually that of customs.

BlackBrant 01-10-2010 09:43 AM

OH MAN.....should have posted this earlier....

Uncle Mike`s ---- did my first deal with him and was very pleased.....thankyou !

stickershock23 ----- Mark is a great guy to deal with and very helpfull and his products are the cat`s meow....am i ever glad I found him as a vendor !!!!!! My projects look great with his vinyl decals....very professional !

will post more as deals come through.

Give yourselves a hand good vendors !

Cheers

Paul

Matt38 06-03-2010 01:39 PM

Vendors deserving of our business...

Hello all,

I recently began a Sat. V project that required me to purchase from 3 seperate vendors. Sirius (Moldin Oldies), Semroc and Apogee. Being in the customer service business, I am an extremely demanding customer and have to say all 3 far exceeded my expectations as far as response, communication and quality of product. The standout is Semroc where they seem to anticipate your order and have it ready to ship BEFORE you contact them.

GregGleason 06-03-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt38

I recently began a Sat. V project ...

What is the scale of your Saturn V? Please post pics!

Greg

nvrocketeer 06-03-2010 02:40 PM

I haven't had a bad transaction or shabby service ever, in the two years I've been back to the hobby. I was glad to see Launchpad 2000 get some shout-out earlier in the thread -- nice folks. I've done a sale or two with BRS Hobbies and Balsa Machining Service as well.

I've also been very happy with my dealings with Semroc and with Quest Aerospace. Bob J at Sunward has been very patient with my happy frothings and rantings about one of his kits (that I bought through Launchpad 2000). :p

Matt38 06-03-2010 03:40 PM

I just started an Estes 2157 Sat V. I am going with the Moldin Oldies CM and fins / fairings and making it a 5 motor cluster with a central 24mm and outboard 18mm's. I am also adapting the engine bells to stay on during launch. Not much to look at yet as I started it this morning but pics to follow in the "Projects" section on YORF when I have something to show. I also started a LUT as well for this...