Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   WOOSH News (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   ECOF events - Kelly's Engineering Challenge 2012 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9825)

Sather 08-25-2011 11:55 AM

ECOF events - Kelly's Engineering Challenge 2012

2 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the Kelly Engineering Challenge for WOOSH ECOF 2012 ----- "Upscale (Downscale) Anything Can Fly" -----

The logical progression from the WOOSH sod field event of the same (almost) name, the gist of which is to take anything other than a rocket, and make it fly. This is looking to be a fun event. We have a lot of creative rocketeers. I think 2009-11 only scratched the surface! The preliminary rules for 2012 are...

1. The rocket must feature a larger (or smaller) version of a commonly available non-rocketry item, hereafter referred to as the prototype. Like the crayon banks we flew in year one (2009), but in 2012 it doesn't have to be a crayon. Innovations in design are always encouraged. Family friendly theme mandatory. Remember the judge is an eleven year old girl.
2. If the prototype item is smaller than 3 feet in all dimensions, (i.e. a salt shaker), then the rocket must be an upscaled version of it. Degree of difficulty points will include the magnitude of upscale. (The upscale is an engineer's challenge.)
3. If any dimension of the prototype item exceeds 3 feet, (i.e. the Eiffel Tower), then the rocket must be a downscaled version of it. Degree of difficulty points will include attention to details of the prototype preserved in the downscale. (The downscale is a modeler's challenge.)
4. The entry can't be a rocket she has seen before. (This appears to be a handicap specifically targeting me.)
5. The rocket must fly at ECOF in 2012, under thrust of allowed propellant (BP, APCP, or hybrid).
6. Rocketeer must be certified to level of combined motors flown. NAR safety code applies.
7. Only one qualifying flight is allowed per rocket. (While practice flights are allowed, the qualifying flight must be identified as such in advance.)
8. There is no restriction on number of rockets per participant. If a participant makes two or more qualifying rockets, he may register and fly each of them as an individual entry. However, individual participants may not "sweep" the awards. While it is possible that two or more entries from one flyer could score high enough to each qualify for an award, there will be only one award given to any individual participant. (i.e. only the highest scoring rocket from each participant will count for First, Second, and/or Third place awards.)

9. Points are cumulative, with a maximum possible total of 100 points. Scoring as follows...
20 points for innovation of design (theme, unique design features, unusual-ness of rocket)
20 points for degree of difficulty - includes magnitude of upscale (upscale only), attention to details (downscale only)
20 points for quality of build (finish, smooth transitions, fin fillets, motor retention, overall structural integrity)
20 points for quality of flight (stability, altitude, duration)
20 points for quality of recovery (recovery device deployment, lack of damage)
10. Rewards... In addition to eternal bragging rights, the winner gets an engraved trophy, with medals for 2nd and 3rd place. Honorable Mention(s) will be awarded for entries that truly merit additional recognition. (Thanks to a generous donation from Jay R., trophies in this and subsequent years have been upgraded.) All pre-registered participants get a nifty certificate suitable for framing. And the winner will receive a $50 gift certificate to Wildman Rocket Supply.

Challenge dates - Saturday, 28 July 2012 and Sunday, 29 July 2012
9:00 AM - tent and table setup
10:00 AM - group photo (bring your rocket)
10:00 AM to 12:00 AM - preflight judging (rockets together)
Innovation in design - max of 20 points
Degree of Difficulty - max of 20 points
Quality of build - max of 20 points
12:00 AM to 3:00 PM - qualifying flights (thru Sunday if weather forecast acceptable)
Inflight points - Quality of flight - max of 20 points
Postflight points - Quality of recovery - max of 20 points
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM - point tabulation
4:00 PM - awards ceremony

Kelly Engineering Challenge Hall of Fame...

2012 - Upscale (Downscale) Anything Can Fly
1st place - Jay R. - Computer Cooling Fan on G64-W
2nd place - Sather R. - Swirly (ice cream cone) on J430-WT
3rd place - Walt E. - Match Stick on D12-5
Honorable Mention - Girl Scout Troop 1034 - Super Crayon on G54-R
2011 - Legged Landers
1st place - Sather R. - "12" Modular Booster with Vanessa Doofenshmirtz Legged Lander" (Phineas and Ferb characters in lander capsule) - L3150 Vmax.
2nd place - Ben W. and Tom K. (Team entry) - " Gladiator 1 and 2" (2 stage) - G76 to F52, timer for second stage ignition
3rd place - Joe K. and Walt E. (Team entry) - "Mars Lander" (2 stage) - D12-0 to C6-5
Honorable Mention - tie
- Jay R. - "Pad Abort Lander" - H170 - Perfect scores in Innovation in Design (20), Quality of Build (20), and Quality of Flight (20)
- Bill R. - "Miranda Mashup" - H120 - Perfect scores in Innovation in Design (20), Quality of Flight (20), and Quality of Recovery (20)
2010 - Strap-on Boosters
1st place - Jay R - "Delta 304 Gravity Probe" - I236 in core (Cesaroni Pro 38-3G)), with 6 x D12, 3 x E9 (9 boosters)
2nd place - Marc S - "Ultimate Ninja" - 6 x C6, 2 x A10, staged to D12
3rd place - Walt E - "Devil Dog" - H175 (Cesaroni Pro 29-4G) in core, 2 x F20-4 in boosters
Honorable Mention - Chad R - "Tres Daddy" - I154-J in core, 2 x F-39T in boosters
2009 - Crayons
1st place - Scott G - yellow crayon, CrayMarc missile on AeroTech J500-G (6 grain 38mm = 723.0 Ns) + 2 x airstarted AeroTech F52-T (each 73.0 Ns) = combined 869.0 Ns
2nd place - Jay R - red crayon, with 3 strap-on crayon boosters that deployed after burnout and had individual recovery systems. Cesaroni G69 Skidmark (1 grain 38mm = 121.1 Ns) + 6 x Estes D12-3 (each 16.8 Ns) = combined 221.9 Ns
3rd place - Marc S - yellow FAO Schwartz crayon on AeroTech I218-Redline (3 grain 38mm = 330.0 Ns)
Honorable Mention - Tim L - green crayon. Cesaroni K675 Skidmark (6 grain 54mm = 2009.6 Ns)

Cheers, Sather

chadrog 08-25-2011 05:10 PM

Guess time is no excuse for this one! :p

DANLK66 09-24-2011 03:18 PM

I have a plan but need to fing the upscale components. :)

Sather 09-24-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANLK66
I have a plan but need to fing the upscale components. :)

Don't show Kelly. I have a basement full of potentially great upscale projects - she has ruled them all out due to rule #4. So I'll have to build another one in secret. ;)

Rex R 09-24-2011 04:53 PM

in regards to #4, is that would that apply to (*disclaimer, scarlet fish) lets say that one of us has a question about an entry and posted a pic over on another forum...would that 'rocket be DQed if the judge saw it online? thanks
rex

Sather 09-24-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
in regards to #4, is that would that apply to (*disclaimer, scarlet fish) lets say that one of us has a question about an entry and posted a pic over on another forum...would that 'rocket be DQed if the judge saw it online? thanks
rex

Nope. She doesn't have unsupervised internet access, and probably wouldn't be surfing the forums if she did. Just don't mention her by name, so Google doesn't flag it, and you'll be fine. I do think that rule was primarily intended to handicap me and limit my stockpile of upscale stuff from here...
http://www.greatbigstuff.com/

Rex R 09-24-2011 05:17 PM

ah, good. so if we have a technical problem with our scarlet fish we can get help :), works for me. sounds to me like you're going to have to be creative :).
rex

Sather 04-05-2012 10:44 AM

Rules in Post #1 updated. The change is that there is now no restriction on number of rockets per participant. The more, the merrier.

Also, be advised ECOF 2012 has moved to 28-29 July for a schedule conflict at Bong.

T minus 114 days...

Cheers.

Sather

Sather 06-03-2012 06:28 PM

bump

Sather 07-08-2012 08:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Countdown to Kelly's Challenge...

Since Rule #8 allows multiple entries, I though it might be fun to try and launch my entire fleet of odd hawks. Starting with..... (drum roll, please)

T minus 6 (units arbitrary)
"Hershey's Strawberry Syrup Jayhawk"
previously disqualified due to rule #4.