Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   RDC V-Max (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18057)

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-05-2019 11:01 AM

RDC V-Max

Steve's post of the plans and scans for the Bo-Mar Alpha B yesterday got me fired up. I went home yesterday and started going through the piles of projects that had been laying dormant for most of the spring and summer. Last year I bought an ebay lot of nose cones, mainly because one of the cones looked like the cone for the RDC Cardinal/V-Max. It had been sharpened to a point, but whatever. It doesn't quite fit any of the tube stock I have on hand, but I do have a scrap of some mystery tube that fits it like a glove. Golf season has (finally) ended, so I'm going to try to make it to a build session at eRockets next Tuesday, both to get some rocket building done among like-minded people, as well as to potentially track down a proper tube to finish the V-Max.

tbzep 09-05-2019 11:21 AM

Interesting two stager. :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-06-2019 10:42 AM

I like the looks of the Feather, but the angle isn't good for my method. ;)

mwtoelle 09-06-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Last year I bought an ebay lot of nose cones, mainly because one of the cones looked like the cone for the RDC Cardinal/V-Max. It had been sharpened to a point, but whatever. It doesn't quite fit any of the tube stock I have on hand, but I do have a scrap of some mystery tube that fits it like a glove. Golf season has (finally) ended, so I'm going to try to make it to a build session at eRockets next Tuesday, both to get some rocket building done among like-minded people, as well as to potentially track down a proper tube to finish the V-Max.

It looks like Semroc/Centuri ST-7 tubing will be the closest match for the equivalent RDC tubing. I looked at a 1968 RDC Catalog on ninfinger and found that the RDC tube for that nose cone had an I.D. of .710" and an O.D. of .750". This makes for a wall thickness 0.020". In other words, think of a Cetnuri ST-7 tube wound around a BT-20 mandrel instead of the correct mandrel for a ST-7.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-19-2019 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Turns out my mystery nose cone fit perfectly in a BT-30 tube. Color me happy.

tbzep 09-20-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Turns out my mystery nose cone fit perfectly in a BT-30 tube. Color me happy.

When does the Jarts game start? Don't forget to plug the booster motor!

Beginners play with A8-0
Intermediate B6-0
Advanced C6-0

:D

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-20-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
When does the Jarts game start? Don't forget to plug the booster motor!

Beginners play with A8-0
Intermediate B6-0
Advanced C6-0

:D

Even better, A8-5, B6-6, C6-7. That way it's going to be tipped over at the target when the ejection charge fires. I just have to glue the nose cone in place. :cool:

ghrocketman 09-20-2019 10:29 AM

I could really get "on board" with this "Rocket Jarts" game.

If we could get 1/2A6-0 or 1/2A3-0T motors again it would be a bit easier to "dial in"

tbzep 09-20-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

If we could get 1/2A6-0 or 1/2A3-0T motors again it would be a bit easier to "dial in"

Easy to manufacture at my motor mod facility. ;)

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-20-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

Them's for puskies, chump! Go big or go home! :D