Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Ask the Doctor (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   fuel types (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=2255)

joe11 10-02-2007 08:47 PM

fuel types

I am doing a science project and I was wondering if you know where I could get the types of propellants in estes rocket engines. I know that they would typically keep that secret but was just wondering whether anybody knew what the fuels are made of. thanks joe

pantherjon 10-02-2007 09:24 PM

Simple: Black powder

Basically the same thing as gunpowder

Royatl 10-02-2007 11:08 PM

Black powder is a classic mixture of 15% charcoal, 10% sulfur, and 75% saltpeter (potassium nitrate). Not that secret, though they may occasionally change the percentages very slightly for various reasons, or add burn-rate modifiers for the delay charge.

Not a good idea to try to make it yourself.

Rocket Doctor 10-03-2007 02:35 PM

Do not attempt to make your own black powder !!!!!
Leave motor making to the experts.

Model rocketry was started in the first place to get away from the "basement bombers", where young budding "scientists would mix all types of chemicals together and suffer serious personal injury.

I'm sure that you can come up with a better and safer science project.

I would strongly suggest that you visit the Estes web site www.estesrockets.com, and, click on the educational link.

Or better yet, call the Estes director of Education Ann Grimm at 1-800-525-7561 hit "0" ask the operator for the Director of Education

We want you to have a safe model rocket experience.......

Nuke Rocketeer 10-03-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Black powder is a classic mixture of 15% charcoal, 10% sulfur, and 75% saltpeter (potassium nitrate). Not that secret, though they may occasionally change the percentages very slightly for various reasons, or add burn-rate modifiers for the delay charge.

Not a good idea to try to make it yourself.

I think you might have the proportions wrong for charcoal and saltpeter...........

Bazookadale 10-03-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer
I think you might have the proportions wrong for charcoal and saltpeter...........

As Royatl stated the proportions may vary but 75 - 15 - 10 is the classic mix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder

Royatl 10-04-2007 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke Rocketeer

Nope. That's quoted from an Estes patent.

ghrocketman 10-04-2007 11:22 AM

Seems to me that the Amateur/Experimental "Basement Bomber" rocketeers have always gotten a bum rap, not that one should ever try to make BP engines in a basement.
I do recall all the hub-bub when certain BP manufacturers tried to quash RMS composite engines on supposed "safety" grounds though.

Solomoriah 10-04-2007 06:10 PM

I've been mulling over a Dangerous Idea for the last few months. Now, let me preface this by saying that I have no intention of carrying out the following; I'm not adequately experienced in the necessary skills nor trained in the appropriate knowledge. But...

Tim Van Milligan explains very clearly why making your own propellant is not sensible. He points out the amount of research needed, and the cost of equipment to do that research, and then the cost of equipment to actually make the engines after you have figured them out. And, such experimentation is naturally dangerous.

So I'll take that as a given. But let's suppose that someone with the right knowledge were to spend some time and money working out a reasonably safe, reliable and predictable binary propellant. Such a propellant might consist of fuel in a paste form, and oxidizer as a powder. The developer would have to work out the optimum proportions of fuel to oxidizer, and design simple-to-use equipment for safely mixing the propellant and loading it into engine casings.

Naturally, a standardized engine casing (or a variety of casings of differing sizes) would be needed. The propellant should be able to burn reasonably well from the end, and thus not require a bored-out core. A delay charge could be made using a different fuel paste and an appropriate proportion of oxidizer, and likewise an ejection charge could be made the same way (though a powdered fuel/powdered oxidizer combination might be effective here also).

As the fuel(s) aren't explosive (and can't be mistaken for an explosive) when not mixed with oxidizer, it should be entirely legal to ship them anywhere without any hazardous material regulations applying. I'm not sure what sort of rules apply to shipping oxidizers (though I assume someone will tell me shortly).

Obviously, we are outside the bounds of "model rocketry" at this point, but I wonder if, given an appropriate safety code and a good, well-tested design, this sort of propellant might make "amateur rocketry" nearly as safe as "model rocketry" is now.

Nuke Rocketeer 10-05-2007 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Nope. That's quoted from an Estes patent.

:rolleyes: I really oughta look before I leap. You are right. I was just going off a faulty memory that told me charcoal was the major ingredient. Oh well, I can blame it on that precursor to Alzheimers, known as Sometimers.

Joe W