Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Semroc Pro QCC Explorer SEM-KP-99 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=21779)

TigerHawk 07-27-2023 10:41 AM

....
 
....

NOLA_BAR 07-27-2023 12:52 PM

Looks kinda big…! Great design, just at 4in a little too big for me.

Ltvscout 07-27-2023 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_BAR
Looks kinda big…! Great design, just at 4in a little too big for me.

My thought is it should've gone under the eRockets name vs Semroc. I don't believe Carl would have ever offered a kit that cost $300.

LeeR 07-27-2023 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_BAR
Looks kinda big…! Great design, just at 4in a little too big for me.


I agree! Since the original was a BT-55 (~1.34” dia), an upscale using BT-70 or 80 (ideally heavy wall) would have been a more appealing choice to typical eRockets customers, IMHO.

astronwolf 07-27-2023 06:10 PM

I'm betting that we are going to be seeing more of these kinds of upscale high-dollar kits with 3-D printed parts.

NOLA_BAR 07-27-2023 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I agree! Since the original was a BT-55 (~1.34” dia), an upscale using BT-70 or 80 (ideally heavy wall) would have been a more appealing choice to typical eRockets customers, IMHO.


I was thinking the same thing, BT-70H or BT-80H. True upscales of Estes designs can get tough as parts will get large proportionally, and/or the profile cannot be matched. I think the QCC nosecone is already 8in long at BT-60, so going to BT-80H is close to 13in, basically 5:1. As previously mentioned, 3D printing will help with this.

dugliss 07-27-2023 10:42 PM

This is an impressive upscale to say the least. What a monster! I'll stick with the Estes version. Was the QCC Explorer an Estes designed rocket or did it have a history prior to that? I first saw it in the Estes 2011 catalog and it was marketed as new then.

LeeR 07-28-2023 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugliss
This is an impressive upscale to say the least. What a monster! I'll stick with the Estes version. Was the QCC Explorer an Estes designed rocket or did it have a history prior to that? I first saw it in the Estes 2011 catalog and it was marketed as new then.



The QCC Explorer is a John Boren design. Really a nice kit. I have one built, just needs all the recesses (for the assembly/alignment tabs) on the ramjets filled before starting to apply a finish. The Conquest (looks like a bomber with swept back wings) uses two of these same ramjet assemblies. Estes had these on clearance a few years ago really cheap. I bought four QCC Explorers and 3 Conquests, which now seems to be a lifetime supply. :)

LeeR 07-29-2023 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
The QCC Explorer I think is a cool looking rocket and the original size is BT-60. I would definitely buy a BT-80 upscale of it if it was available.



You are correct — it is BT-60. Obviously I have had the partial build packed away too long to remember its size. :rolleyes:

Time to complete it. I would still prefer a 70 or 80-sized upscale. :)

LeeR 07-29-2023 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerHawk
The QCC Explorer I think is a cool looking rocket and the original size is BT-60. I would definitely buy a BT-80 upscale of it if it was available.



You are correct — it is BT-60. Obviously I have had the partial build packed away too long to remember its size. :rolleyes:

Time to complete it. I would still prefer a 70 or 80-sized upscale. I’d even be happy to see ramjet kits available (standard or upscale), for rolling your own designs :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.