Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Centuri style Launch Pads (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17099)

77fair 02-03-2018 10:21 PM

Centuri style Launch Pads

Here is a link to a web page that my grandson, and I are using to offer a limited number of handcrafted launch pads. We will be out to Three Oaks Michigan a couple times this year with some. I am not sure what the average shipping cost will be yet with the rod (via USPS).
Payment by personal check, or PayPal will be acceptable. Only way to pay with a credit card is in person right now.

LINK: http://mitchell300.com/ryder-s-rockets.html

All dimensions where taken off of my original Centuri pad. The deflector is ID-77 size. If you are looking for perfection in metal, and woodworking, and same exact materials as the original, this is not it. If you are looking for functionality with the vintage Centuri look, then I think you will be pleased.

David

UMRS 02-04-2018 05:28 AM

Looks pretty good

stefanj 02-04-2018 09:51 AM

Very tempting! It would be fun to launch old Centuri models off of it.

I wonder if the pieces would fit in a Priority mail box?

Although I'd hope for cheaper UPS shipping if you can find someone who can get you a good deal.

ghrocketman 02-04-2018 10:31 AM

So this is a "re-creation" of the LIA-77, correct ?
Any plans to offer the larger LIA-100 ?

77fair 02-04-2018 01:23 PM

Yes, you are correct. It was patterned off my old LIA-77. The legs on the new pads are aspen, and I was told the original legs on mine are made of pine. The tempered masonite top is thicker than the original as well.

David

NAR#65307

BARGeezer 02-04-2018 02:35 PM

When will your shipping charges become firm? Can't place an order until then.

dwmzmm 02-04-2018 02:42 PM

Let us know when confirmed updates are available. I'm definitely interested in ordering one.

Gus 02-04-2018 02:54 PM

Why sell it with the launch rod? Those are so easily and cheaply available everywhere.

It would be much easier and cheaper to ship without that. And it would probably fit in a USPS Shoe box (or defintiely in two nested together).

Really a great looking recreation!

dwmzmm 02-04-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Why sell it with the launch rod? Those are so easily and cheaply available everywhere.

It would be much easier and cheaper to ship without that. And it would probably fit in a USPS Shoe box (or defintiely in two nested together).

Really a great looking recreation!

Agreed, meant to say the same in my previous post. I don't need the rod, got plenty already. Easily available at Home Depot and other retailers.

BEC 02-04-2018 06:28 PM

I agree with Steve and Dave - I have launch rods and they are easy to source locally. It would be MUCH easier and less expensive to ship this without one. If you opt to do that, I'm in for one.

77fair 02-05-2018 03:13 PM

Please note:
There are some people that don't have any extra launch rods. There are people who don't have a single launch rod. Those people will want a launch rod with the pad instead of trying to find a decent one around where they live.
The flyer on the web page was really meant for face to face sales at the launches here in Indiana and Michigan.
Now for those who do not need a launch rod, the cost varies with distance. I had an enjoyable visit at USPS, and here is what they said. "Minimum cost is 7.25. Cost to 90210 is 12.50". This is via Priority Mail. Weight is 1lb, 3oz, box is 10" x 6" x 4" if you want to use the online calculator. To repeat, this is for a launch pad without a launch rod.
Boxes are supposed to be here by Thursday. If so, orders can be filled, starting Friday. I will post if this happens.

Thanks,
David

Ltvscout 02-05-2018 03:33 PM

Will the pads sell for the same amount with or without the rod?

ghrocketman 02-05-2018 04:01 PM

I'm gonna be getting one without the rod.
Shipping should be low to Michigan....
If a LIA-100 size is going to be available I would rather have that size.

77fair 02-05-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Will the pads sell for the same amount with or without the rod?

Yes, same 25.00 price plus whatever the shipping costs are. I have to pay for the box, and tape to ship it in, which with a face to face sale is not needed. The stainless steel rod is basically scrap price due to being drops from a fabrication job, so no real cost saving there other than reduced shipping for the buyer.

Ltvscout 02-05-2018 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77fair
Yes, same 25.00 price plus whatever the shipping costs are. I have to pay for the box, and tape to ship it in, which with a face to face sale is not needed. The stainless steel rod is basically scrap price due to being drops from a fabrication job, so no real cost saving there other than reduced shipping for the buyer.

Understood, can't hurt to ask. ;)

I appreciate you offering these nice pads to my members.

BEC 02-06-2018 12:24 AM

Well, I’m at 98001 so probably the same zone as 90210 from where you are. I’m in for one (sans rod) as soon as you’re ready.

CenturiBAR 02-06-2018 06:47 AM

Count me in for one too David, no rod necessary. Let me know when you plan on being at a MR launch and I'll try to make it. I live in Nappanee, IN and work in Benton Harbor, MI so if we don't hook up at a launch maybe somewhere near you.

Happy Birthday too!

Thanks,
Carl

luke strawwalker 02-06-2018 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiBAR
Count me in for one too David, no rod necessary. Let me know when you plan on being at a MR launch and I'll try to make it. I live in Nappanee, IN and work in Benton Harbor, MI so if we don't hook up at a launch maybe somewhere near you.

Happy Birthday too!

Thanks,
Carl

Nappanee... wow small world. I'm up near there all the time... BIL farms over at Rochester... We get up to Nappanee as often as we can to eat that good stuff over at Das Deutschen Essenhaus...

Later! OL J R :)

Gus 02-07-2018 12:41 AM

David,

I'm up for one too, no launch rod necessary. Detroit area.

Steve

CenturiBAR 02-07-2018 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Nappanee... wow small world. I'm up near there all the time... BIL farms over at Rochester... We get up to Nappanee as often as we can to eat that good stuff over at Das Deutschen Essenhaus...

Later! OL J R :)

Yeah, lots of good food around here! Any good place for summer launches around Rochester?

Best Regards,
Carl

luke strawwalker 02-07-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiBAR
Yeah, lots of good food around here! Any good place for summer launches around Rochester?

Best Regards,
Carl

Hmmm...not that I know of...

Too much corn... LOL:) OL J R :)

77fair 02-07-2018 07:11 PM

Boxes are here. We will start shipping Saturday. There are still six that are not already spoken for. I do not know when I will have the time to make more.

David

astronwolf 02-07-2018 08:16 PM

Quote:
Boxes are here. We will start shipping Saturday. There are still six that are not already spoken for. I do not know when I will have the time to make more.

David

Count me in for one, without the launch rod.

77fair 02-08-2018 08:34 PM

A picture.

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/attac...tid=48654&stc=1

Hopefully this picture will show up OK. Pads almost ready to box up

Vanel 02-08-2018 08:48 PM

I would like one - very nice of you to offer this!!!!

BEC 02-08-2018 09:07 PM

Invoice for one paid.

dwmzmm 02-09-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:
Please note:
There are some people that don't have any extra launch rods. There are people who don't have a single launch rod. Those people will want a launch rod with the pad instead of trying to find a decent one around where they live.
The flyer on the web page was really meant for face to face sales at the launches here in Indiana and Michigan.
Now for those who do not need a launch rod, the cost varies with distance. I had an enjoyable visit at USPS, and here is what they said. "Minimum cost is 7.25. Cost to 90210 is 12.50". This is via Priority Mail. Weight is 1lb, 3oz, box is 10" x 6" x 4" if you want to use the online calculator. To repeat, this is for a launch pad without a launch rod.
Boxes are supposed to be here by Thursday. If so, orders can be filled, starting Friday. I will post if this happens.

Thanks,
David

For mail orders, can you clarify the payment methods? Credit card, checks, money orders? Also do you have a more clear image of the order flyer from your first post here? It's rather small and blurry on my desktop screen. Thanks!

77fair 02-09-2018 06:52 PM

Dave,
Money orders, PayPal, and personal checks are fine. Credit cards are OK only face to face. We will not take credit cards over the phone, or by mail.
If you want one, please let me know, and one will be set aside for you. The quantity left is very limited.
Thanks.
David

77fair 02-10-2018 12:52 PM

OK, all of the ones that I had ready to go have either shipped out today, or are spoken for. The level of response has taken me by surprise.
If and when more are ready I will post their availability here first.
Thanks to everyone who has purchased a launch pad. The hope is that you get much enjoyment out of them.

David

Dewalt 02-12-2018 12:45 PM

I received mine today, wow what quick service. I am very pleased with the quality and looking very forward to using it this Spring. Usually I get a sideways look from my wife when ordering "more rocket stuff" The hand signed note from Ryder brought a tear to her eye . The best of luck to him and he is lucky to have such a fantastic Papa to introduce him to the best hobby ever. Thank You

Vanel 02-12-2018 08:58 PM

Mine arrived today as well - outstanding replica of the old Centuri pad, and putting it together brought back some nice old memories. Can’t wait to use it!

Ryder is very lucky to have such a papa - I hope they have many, many rocket launches together!!!

astronwolf 02-12-2018 10:56 PM

Mine arrived today too. I am very pleased with this pad. Beautiful replica.

BEC 02-12-2018 11:27 PM

...and mine as well. It will become part of my “classic GSE” setup for our club’s “Classics” launches. I may have to try it out before that, though.....after applying some kind of protective finish to those lovely and lightweight aspen legs.

astronwolf 02-13-2018 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
...and mine as well. It will become part of my “classic GSE” setup for our club’s “Classics” launches. I may have to try it out before that, though.....after applying some kind of protective finish to those lovely and lightweight aspen legs.

I was considering what kind of finish to apply, in a "what do I feel like doing" sort of way. Maybe I'll brush on a coat or two of blond shellac followed by clear spar urethane. Or maybe I'll skip the urethane and go with just shellac.

ghrocketman 02-13-2018 10:23 AM

How about a Clear Aero Gloss or Brodak Dope finish to go with the vintage theme ?

stefanj 02-13-2018 10:31 AM

I think I would buy a pad -- no rod necessary -- from a second batch.

Dewalt 02-13-2018 01:03 PM

I painted the legs on the one I had back in 1976 Red, White & Blue. Not sure if I used dope - but most likely.

77fair 02-13-2018 10:17 PM

Thank you all for your kind words, and for your purchases. We will have to see when time will allow another batch of the pads to be made.
Thanks, David

dwmzmm 02-13-2018 10:21 PM

Hey David, I've already sent my money order a few days ago, you should be receiving it by tomorrow.

Gus 02-14-2018 03:51 PM

David,

Just received mine. Outstanding!!!

One thought, since you sent these Priority mail, go to https://store.usps.com/store/produc...box-P_0_SHOEBOX to order free Priority Mail Shoeboxes. They're free, and they will deliver them right to your doorstep. Perfect size for your pads.

Steve