Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack to continue Starlight Rocketry. (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=9239)

UMRS 05-15-2011 05:09 PM

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack to continue Starlight Rocketry.

Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack is pleased to announce that they will be taking over the kit line of Starlight Rocketry. Plans are too slowly re release the kits. However at this time there is no time table for the release of any specific kits.

Plans also include making them once again available to distributors for resale. Again at this time there is no date for this as well.

Also the bulk packs will eventually once again be available for wholesale and retail.

We anticipate no changes in the original packaging of the kits other than some of the kits may revert back to balsa nose cones once the supply of plastic is exhausted. Starlight Rocketry kits have always been low price high quality kits that are good sellers. We anticipate no major changes to that in the future.

As for Starlight Rocketry they will be closing up shop on the 20th of May 2011. They still have several kits and there excellent Mylar chutes for sale until then.

We encourage the public to email us requests for future Starlight releases, we will be guided heavily by the public as to which kits to re release first.

Solomoriah 05-15-2011 05:17 PM

Well, this is good news!

Ltvscout 05-15-2011 05:17 PM

Good news, Mike & Bob!

blackshire 05-15-2011 11:48 PM

I am very heartened and pleased to hear this news, Mike! Also, I have a suggestion (please see below) that would make your re-issued Starlight kits even more attractive to model rocketeers, and particularly to group users such as schools, Scout Troops, 4-H Clubs, and other youth groups.

I hate to see good products disappear from the market *only* for want of the means to continue their production rather than lack of demand. While I like plastic nose cones, I have no problems with balsa ones, and since Bob's kits began with balsa nose cones, you would simply be taking them "back to their roots," so to speak. Please keep us posted here as you bring them back into production! Here is my suggestion:

Since many of the Starlight kits fly well on 13 mm mini motors, offering mini motor adapter mounts with them (which need not include motor clips, if they are built as described below) would enable group users to save significant amounts of money on motors, *and* it would also enable them to fly the rockets from smaller fields if necessary.

The Starlight Sparrow "flying wing" boost-glider would also benefit from this, since it could use an ejectable, streamer-recovered 13 mm motor mount (whose motor mount tube would be as long as an 18 mm motor) that would prevent the littering of flying fields with spent motor cases that might not be easy to find and pick up after flying sessions.

For the other 13 mm mini motor-compatible Starlight kits (as well as for the Sparrow kit), the mini motor adapter mounts could be built so that the motor mount tube extends 1/4" behind the rear centering ring. This would enable the motor to be secured in the mount simply by wrapping masking tape around the end of the motor mount tube as well as around the protruding end of the motor. For several kits other than the Sparrow, Apogee, Queeze-Bee, Asteroid Probe, and Micro (and the booster stage of the Whiplash 2), the mini motor adapter mounts could be their normal, shorter length if glued in place. The other Starlight kits that fly well on mini motors include the following:

Apogee (although BT-50 size, it could use A10-3T motors)

Firestar (it could use a normal, shorter 13 mm motor mount)

Hyperon (it could use a normal, shorter 13 mm motor mount)

Micro (it could use a "tied-on" rear-ejection motor mount with streamer recovery)

Nano (it could use a normal, shorter 13 mm motor mount)

Nimbus (it could use a normal, shorter 13 mm motor mount)

Spike (it could use a normal, shorter 13 mm motor mount)

Asteroid Probe (although BT-60 size, it could use A10-3T motors)

Whiplash 2

Jayhawk

Queeze-Bee (although BT-50 size, it could use A10-3T motors)

Zippy (it could use a normal, shorter 13 mm motor mount)

I hope this information will be helpful.

Shreadvector 05-16-2011 08:26 AM

I second the mini-motor ideas.

Bill 05-16-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Since many of the Starlight kits fly well on 13 mm mini motors, offering mini motor adapter mounts with them (which need not include motor clips, if they are built as described below) would enable group users to save significant amounts of money on motors, *and* it would also enable them to fly the rockets from smaller fields if necessary.

I would not want the kits to include both 18mm and 13mm mounts as that would increase the cost.

The ideal would be separate 18mm and 13mm versions, but that necessarily doubles the number of SKUs.

Would having a bulk pack of 13mm mounts or adapters available serve your purpose? I also note that Estes does not currently sell a 13mm motor mount outside of kits, so this may have a broad appeal.

Bill

blackshire 05-17-2011 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I would not want the kits to include both 18mm and 13mm mounts as that would increase the cost.

The ideal would be separate 18mm and 13mm versions, but that necessarily doubles the number of SKUs.

Would having a bulk pack of 13mm mounts or adapters available serve your purpose? I also note that Estes does not currently sell a 13mm motor mount outside of kits, so this may have a broad appeal.

Bill
That is what I had in mind (UMRS offering 13 mm mounts in bulk quantities, to be sold with [but in separate packaging] bulk-packaged Starlight kits if the buyers so desire), and I apologize for not expressing it more clearly in my posting above. This 13 mm motor mount option would enable the Starlight kits to be of service to group users with large flying fields (who could fly them on 18 mm motors) as well as to group users with small flying fields and/or small budgets.

UMRS 05-17-2011 05:04 AM

Seriously great ideas gentlemen.

blackshire 05-17-2011 11:21 PM

One other suggestion, Mike, if I may indulge--please keep the brown virgin kraft paper body tubes in your re-issued Starlight kits. This would give both your customers and you two advantages:

[1] The brown virgin kraft paper tubes are stiffer and stronger than the white tubes (they're made of recycled kraft paper, whose shorter, chopped fibers make the tubes softer and less strong). The brown tubes make for more durable rockets.

[2] Because they are stiffer and stronger, the brown virgin kraft body tubes are more resistant to being "ovaled," creased, and dented in shipment and storage. This would save you money and time from replacing damaged body tubes. Bob has mailed me boxes of kits that were packed so full that the kits "acted as their own cushioning," and even though the boxes often arrived with dents and creases that were picked up in transit, the kits' body tubes (as well as their other parts) were undamaged.

UMRS 05-18-2011 05:11 AM

Actually I dont want to start any great debate but we have been converting to all white tubes over the last year. Only BT55,56 & 70 are still brown and those are dwindling fast.

Our white tubes are not made from recylced paper, i cant vouch for any others. Strength wise they are the same. We have put them through tests and found no difference. The spirals are easier to deal with for painting purposes.

The customer feedback on the white tubes was the deal sealer. The feedback has not even been close. The white kraft paper ran away with it.

As for shipping most rocket related material, your at the mercy of the shipper. After all your shipping paper and balsa wood for the most part. Your using paper/plastic to protect paper and balsa.

Years ago we used to sell Video/Sound cards for computers. Every once in a while the Post Office would manage to snap one the cards in half in the box. Dealing with damage is just a part of being in business whether its body tubes or computer parts.

No matter how well we pack something sooner or later to P.O will find a way to destroy it . On a lighter note the last three boxs weve had damaged had tire tracks on them. So packing material wasnt an issue.

As for suggestions please keep indulging , thank you for the input :)