Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Product test: eRockets sanding sealer (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18926)

jeffyjeep 10-16-2020 04:19 PM

Product test: eRockets sanding sealer

3 Attachment(s)
This is my first time trying eRockets branded sanding sealer. I used (3) coats of it on the fins of a scratch built #1919 HoJo.

I give it a thumbs up. In my opinion it's as good as Deluxe Products sanding sealer--maybe a BCH thinner. (Individual results may vary.)

If you're a fan of water based sanding sealers then you'll probably like it. If you're a fan of solvent based sanding sealers then you probably won't.

As for me: I'm a fan of both.

PaulK 10-17-2020 08:36 AM

Huh, I wonder if that's his own creation, or repackaged from large containers of the Deluxe Products stuff? In any case, thanks for the review. As much as I like the dope based sanding sealers, I'm trying to use them less these days.

jeffyjeep 10-17-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Huh, I wonder if that's his own creation, or repackaged from large containers of the Deluxe Products stuff? In any case, thanks for the review. As much as I like the dope based sanding sealers, I'm trying to use them less these days.

I was wondering about that myself--even though Deluxe is imported from England. I did a side by side comparison with Deluxe and the eRockets SS is a little thinner than the Deluxe, smells a little different, and isn't quite as white.

Gus 10-17-2020 12:08 PM

Jeffy,

Did you sand between coats, or just apply, let dry, reapply?

Steve

jeffyjeep 10-17-2020 05:09 PM

I sanded between coats--as I always do. Apply, dry, sand with 220. Apply, dry, sand with 320. Apply, dry, sand with 400. Gray primer, dry, buff with #00 steel wool. White primer, dry. Top coat, dry. Use naughty words while removing the gnats from the top coat. Re-apply top coat. Scotch.

DavidQ 10-17-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I sanded between coats--as I always do. Apply, dry, sand with 220. Apply, dry, sand with 320. Apply, dry, sand with 400. Gray primer, dry, buff with #00 steel wool. White primer, dry. Top coat, dry. Use naughty words while removing the gnats from the top coat. Re-apply top coat. Scotch.

That doesn't sound right. I think your process needs more Scotch. Specifically, some with a high peat content.

PaulK 10-18-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I was wondering about that myself--even though Deluxe is imported from England. I did a side by side comparison with Deluxe and the eRockets SS is a little thinner than the Deluxe, smells a little different, and isn't quite as white.
Have you tried the Deluxe Eze-Dope or Eze-Kote? I'm trying Eze-Kote on some ply fins, and its working pretty well so far...

jeffyjeep 10-18-2020 07:58 AM

I have not. Where do you get it?

PaulK 10-18-2020 08:03 AM

I couldn't find the Eze-Kote locally, so Amazon... Our local Hobbytown carries the sanding sealer, so I'll have to ask if they can get the Eze-dope.

L3Excalibur 10-19-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidQ
That doesn't sound right. I think your process needs more Scotch. Specifically, some with a high peat content.

Wimps! True whiskey comes from Ireland. :-) :-)
Unless, of course, you are talking about 120 proof 'full strength' Kentucky bourbon.