Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Build Thread: Estes Saturn V #1969 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17875)

jeffyjeep 05-15-2019 08:26 PM

My calipers say that it's 1.838" long and 1.326" O.D. I don't know why the instructions call it the LEM body tube though. I think it should be called the SM body tube.

Earl 05-15-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
My calipers say that it's 1.838" long and 1.326" O.D. I don't know why the instructions call it the LEM body tube though. I think it should be called the SM body tube.

You are right: that is EXACTLY what it should be called.

Earl

LeeR 05-15-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar
Hey, guys,

Would someone with the 1969 kit be so kind as to measure the length of the body tube that the instructions list as "030466 L.E.M. body tube", please? I was ordering some parts from Estes and went ahead and got the plastic LEM shroud for my #2001 kit. Now, I have to shorten the body tube to put it between plastic shroud and the capsule. Thanks.

Mike,

I’m doing the same to my old (30th Anniversay Edition) #2157 Saturn V. Just got the LEM shrouds last week. I also bought the injection molded fin sets last year to upgrade from the vacuformed fins. I ordered 3, but should have ordered about 5 or 6. I have several more #2157s, a #2001, and several Saturn 1Bs still unbuilt. I have a built, but unpainted 1B, but don’t think I’ll change the shroud on it.

I just measured my Saturn 1B and the Service Module is 44mm (1.735”) long. I assume that’s what you want. (Is this called the LEM body tube by Estes?) I would assume that part is the same length, whether Saturn V, or Saturn 1B.

tbzep 05-15-2019 08:45 PM

Probably because the tube goes all the way down the transition section, which on the real Saturn, hides the LEM.

LeeR 05-15-2019 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Probably because the tube goes all the way down the transition section, which on the real Saturn, hides the LEM.

The Estes LEM Shroud is a “typical” transition, with tubes sliding over shoulders on each end. So no tube goes thru the transition. So, I think anything above the transition is really just the “Service Module Body Tube”. But, I could be missing the point ... :)
(And so I’m not cutting tube until I am sure of required length.). :)

tbzep 05-15-2019 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
The Estes LEM Shroud is a “typical” transition, with tubes sliding over shoulders on each end. So no tube goes thru the transition. So, I think anything above the transition is really just the “Service Module Body Tube”. But, I could be missing the point ... :)
(And so I’m not cutting tube until I am sure of required length.). :)

No, I missed something. :o

I had been reading about a build thread on a 2001 kit and forgot that this thread is the 1969 kit. In addition, the 2157 and Centuri kits used a full tube with paper transition, so my brain was stuck there.

However, since the 1969 kit is an evolution of the 2157, I'm sure the LEM tube name is just an artifact from the old kit.

Earl 05-15-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Mike,

I would assume that part is the same length, whether Saturn V, or Saturn 1B.

For a 'general' scale model build such as these, yes, they could all be the same length. In reality however, there were some SM length differences mission-to-mission, though I've never gone through and done a rack-up comparison of them.

Seems like one mission -- maybe Apollo 10 -- had a visually discernable longer looking SM, but that is about it.

Overall, it seems both the Centuri and Estes Saturn V's have all had, at least to my eye, an SM tube (or the 'exposed' length of tube) that appears to be just the smallest bit on the long side.

Earl

Chas Russell 05-15-2019 09:48 PM

I am upgrading a #2157 kit with the new Estes parts (thank, Bill and others). I figure that a scale Service Module would be 1.47" long based on a 14'10" actual exposed length.

The I discovered that the SM decals that I got from Gordon at Excaliber, both the silver and the chrome ones, are about 1.73", based on the old kits.

Durn.

Chas

LeeR 05-15-2019 10:42 PM

I’m glad to know the exact length is now known for the LEM/SM Body Tube, so that I can cut it down to _______ (fill in your favorite choice). :p

I’ll probably go longer on mine. Years ago we had a Grand Caravan. I liked the extra room compared to the regular Caravan. :chuckle:

hcmbanjo 05-16-2019 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just measured the SM (LEM?) Tube from the #1969 Saturn V kit.

I used my architectural scale ruler -
The picture on the left has some perspective distortion, the end is even with the left side "0"of the ruler. The inset picture shows a measurement right around 1.82".