Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Anyone use double sided tape to secure wraps (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18112)

KILTED COWBOY 10-09-2019 01:24 PM

Anyone use double sided tape to secure wraps

I have heard some folks use a good quality double sided tape to attach vacuformed wraps to body tubes instead of the spray adhesive.
Has anyone used this method and willing to give me your opinion/advise on this method?

BEC 10-09-2019 01:29 PM

I have not. Another alternative that worked well for me on my Saturn V build was using Beacon Foam-Tac glue to attach the wraps. Much easier to control than trying to use 3M77 spray and useful small bit of working time to refine the placement of the wraps.

Just a thought. I will be using it again on the next one.

BARGeezer 10-09-2019 01:39 PM

It is offered as an alternative attachment method on the Apogee Sat. V wraps. Haven't tried it. Seems it would be easier but I would be concerned about the edges of the wrap lifting. Also you would have the incremental thickness of the tape to account for. Seems like the spray would give longer lasting results.
See this video (around the 53:00 mark):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYo...utu.be&t=52m53s
I suppose that's why they offer it as an alternative, not primary, attachment method.
Laters.

ghrocketman 10-09-2019 01:40 PM

I like Foam-Tac as well due to allowing "positioning" which contact cements do not offer.
I would NEVER use double sided tape for anything subjected to ANY flight stress.

jeffyjeep 10-09-2019 01:45 PM

I would be concerned about the longevity of tape also. Where do you get the Beacon Foam Tack? I'd like to try it!

KILTED COWBOY 10-09-2019 01:48 PM

Thanks

BEC 10-09-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
I would be concerned about the longevity of tape also. Where do you get the Beacon Foam Tack? I'd like to try it!

I decided I wanted to try it on fairly short notice and got my tube at an Ace Hardware store, oddly enough. It's sold into the model airplane market so some hobby shops may have it. And there's always Amazon, I suppose. It isn't something available for Amazon Prime, for some reason.

LeeR 10-09-2019 03:00 PM

I’ve used Beacon Fabri-Tac glue when plastic parts need to be glued to cardboard, like gluing a plastic nose cone or transition into a body tube. Works great. It’s consistency is like that of typical tube cements. Found it at Hobby Lobby and also sold at fabric stores, as you’d guess by the name.

Maybe Foam-Tac is the same formulation as Fabri-Tac, only foamy.

ghrocketman 10-09-2019 05:18 PM

Foam-Tac is not "foamy"; it is designed for permanently bonding foam to foam on EDF R/C jets.
I get mine at Nankin Hobby in Farmington Hills, Mi.

BEC 10-09-2019 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I’ve used Beacon Fabri-Tac glue when plastic parts need to be glued to cardboard, like gluing a plastic nose cone or transition into a body tube. Works great. It’s consistency is like that of typical tube cements. Found it at Hobby Lobby and also sold at fabric stores, as you’d guess by the name.

Maybe Foam-Tac is the same formulation as Fabri-Tac, only foamy.

I just spent a good half hour combing my regular Hobby Lobby store looking for Fabri-Tac and didn't find it. I know hcmbanjo recommends Fabri-Tac for the application you describe....places where I have been using RC canopy glue (these days Pacer Formula 560).

I'm going to have to try a fabric store some time soon.

Foam-Tac is also similar in consistency to traditional tube cements, but as GH noted, its intent is quite different. I'm thinking Foam-Tac might also work for plastic-paper joints like an Alpha III fin can (or the Super Nova Paylaoder fin can)-to-paper body tube application as well.