Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Designer's Studio (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Completed Barcode Exeter Shuttle Concept Model (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=13181)

dvmanning 12-04-2013 02:35 PM

Completed Barcode Exeter Shuttle Concept Model

4 Attachment(s)
Here are several images of the model complete with custom decals. I have not had the chance to have a first launch yet due to our changing weather.[/IMG]

astronot 12-04-2013 04:15 PM

That looks fantastic. What inspired the project?

dvmanning 12-04-2013 04:53 PM

Concept model Exeter Shuttle

I got the drawing and material list from this forum under concept models.
Having a background in aeronautics and physics of flying I contoured the fuselage since because I use rubberbands to hold the half tubes (Air intakes) and they were tighter than needed. Even though, it turned out, it should increase the flight characteristics of the model.
Also, I choose to make it a NASA model, since I have a mutual friend of one of my friends that is retired from NASA and is an Aeronomical Engineer. He was my encouragement to go the NASA Route.
David Manning

CPMcGraw 12-05-2013 11:00 AM

From the FWIW category, that design came about during the early days of BARCLONE designs (before I started using RockSim!), and it was somewhat inspired by a Shrox plan I had seen on the Apogee website. I had not yet switched to using Centuri-sized components...

If I were to revisit that design, I think I'd be using ST-10 for the main body, and ST-5 or ST-6 for the intakes and conformal nacelles. The slightly larger diameter has a better feel to it.

Really nice to see someone working up one of those older designs. Your decals look great, Dave. Let us know how she flies. Sometime back, I think I plugged the design into RockSim to see if everything was "in its proper place" as far as CG/CP and deployment velocity was concerned (I prefer very low numbers here...). I think it was within safe margins.

Flight photos, if you can swing them!

dvmanning 12-05-2013 11:38 AM

Completed Barcode Exeter Shuttle Concept Model

The model was a fun build, but I did change a few things:
1 The .020 Styrene plastic that was suggested in the drawings for the air intakes , kept breaking down the center. After making several sets of the parts, I decided to try something else. I ended up cutting a #BT20 Body tube in half and transferring the cowling pattern to it. It worked much better.
2. When I glued the BT20 halves to the side of the main tube, I used rubber bands to hold them in place. When I came back to the model to continue working on it, I discovered that the force of the rubber bands had pulled the center in creating a concave shape. See attached image of build.

Have a background in aeronautical technology and having been a modeler for many years,, I decided to leave it be and see how it would affect the flight. I am almost 65 this month. [IMG]

David
SAM # 0455

luke strawwalker 12-05-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmanning
The model was a fun build, but I did change a few things:
1 The .020 Styrene plastic that was suggested in the drawings for the air intakes , kept breaking down the center. After making several sets of the parts, I decided to try something else. I ended up cutting a #BT20 Body tube in half and transferring the cowling pattern to it. It worked much better.
2. When I glued the BT20 halves to the side of the main tube, I used rubber bands to hold them in place. When I came back to the model to continue working on it, I discovered that the force of the rubber bands had pulled the center in creating a concave shape. See attached image of build.

Have a background in aeronautical technology and having been a modeler for many years,, I decided to leave it be and see how it would affect the flight. I am almost 65 this month. [IMG]

David
SAM # 0455

Cool... how to do a "wasp waist" design without really trying... (or meaning to... LOL:))

Later! OL JR :)

chrism 12-05-2013 03:54 PM

That's a really nice looking rocket!

dlazarus6660 01-04-2014 01:27 PM

Nice!
This has an F-104 Starfighter look/feel to it.

Les 01-04-2014 03:13 PM

very nice work. Looks great

dvmanning 01-04-2014 03:55 PM

Exeter Shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Nice!
This has an F-104 Starfighter look/feel to it.

After viewing an image of the F-104 Starfighter , there are a few similarities showing in the Exeter. Since the winter yields a much more stable atmosphere than in the Summer, I am looking forward to a calm day that is decent enough to launch the Exeter Shuttle. I will be able to record 10 data points of each flight by using the Jolly Logic Altimeter Two that I have purchased and is being shipped to me at this time. I will be using the Estes A8-3, B6-4 and C6-5 Engines . This Spring, Summer and Fall I will record the data points of each launch with the same engines and then compare the data. Since the different seasons tend to experience different air densities, I would assume the 10 data points will yield different results.