Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Plans & Publications (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Enerjet Athena Plans (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3642)

ghrocketman 08-05-2008 09:12 AM

NOBODY does decals for the Athena; I had to piece them together from several sheets of Centuri ones I had.
I have all the proper decals EXCEPT the "Athena" name one in the correct font that goes on the payload section.

Nobody has a scan of the original Athena decal sheet that I have found either. They are REALLY rare.

The "United States" decal is the same one as used for the Nike-Smoke.

At one time Estes produced a simple 3FNC rocket called the Athena, but was not the same as the Enerjet one. It did however include an "Athena" decal in the same font and size as the Enerjet one for the body tube. One could be pirated from one of those kits.

jetlag 08-05-2008 10:05 AM

Yes, the Athena by Estes is here:

http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/rock...ia/90est14.html

I reckon I'll need to piece them together, as you did. Maybe I could use the 'United States' decals from my Saturn 1B, etc. The striping will be easy enough, though. Some of the panel decals may be only problematic :rolleyes: .
Allen

Bluegrass Rocket 08-05-2008 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saved the attached photo from the Ebay auction a while back, maybe it will help.

jetlag 08-06-2008 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Rocket
I saved the attached photo from the Ebay auction a while back, maybe it will help.

GHRocketman was right: the 'Athena' decal here is the same as the athena decal font from the Estes' kit from 1990. Too bad the picture shows a partial look at the decal sheet. But it sure helps! The striping is a little more involved than I at first thought.
I got a look at my nose cones; I have all I need. I'm going to order the rest of the pieces today.
Phred, what do you think?
Allen

Phred 08-06-2008 06:49 AM

If there is anyway to reach the winner of this auction, and get a scan of the decals, I sure would be glad to draw them!!

Phred

jetlag 08-06-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
If there is anyway to reach the winner of this auction, and get a scan of the decals, I sure would be glad to draw them!!

Phred

I'll give it a try...........

Done. I've purchased from this nice gentleman before. I hope be takes kindly to shameless begging............

kurtschachner 08-06-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
I'll give it a try...........

Done. I've purchased from this nice gentleman before. I hope be takes kindly to shameless begging............

If you get a response, post the scan here. Phred and I can duel it out as to who gets the redraw done first ;)

Phred 08-06-2008 09:48 AM

Or we can split it and take half the time!! :D

Ph

kurtschachner 08-06-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excelsior_rocketry
Or we can split it and take half the time!! :D

Ph

No problem. Apart from the word "Athena" itself, that looks pretty easy.

Man that later Estes kit was sure forgettable! I like the line "AS BEAUTIFUL AS THE GREEK GODDESS OF WISDOM FOR WHICH IT'S NAMED".

Sure, sure...

timorley 08-11-2008 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass Rocket

I started getting the parts together to clone this after I saw the auction on ebay, I thought is was cool looking. Decals were a problem, but then I saw this thread. I thought I'd try to redraw the decal from the image you posted and combining elements from other decals. It's not done, and I still need to tweak the length of the bands. I know there is no way my drawing is accurate, but it's going to be close enough for me unless someone can get scans of the real decals. I also think the Enerjet Nike-Smoke (KE-3) Decal on YORP for the "United States" is the right style, but maybe too small at 4.5" long??? Assuming the Athena directions stating the large stripes are 6.5" long is correct.

I don't want to represent the attached image as a clone or copy of the Athena decal, it is my interpretation of the decal from the image Bluegrass Rocket posted. And is NOT final, it's low res, not tested, the stripes are not 100% on size, and I'm not sure of some of the elements above the "United States" graphic. I'm fairly sure of the word Payload, I'm unsure of the USA and very unsure of the "Vent", total guesses. Correct sizing aside, I'm looking for feedback on what I've done so far.

Thanks!