Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Balsa shortage 2020-2021 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18913)

astronwolf 10-12-2020 08:09 PM

Balsa shortage 2020-2021

I contacted Randy at eRockets hoping to learn when some of the Semroc kits might be back in stock. Randy's answer was, "There is no telling at this point. The balsa wood shortage in the market has gone from bad to severe. Of our 6 suppliers no one has any balsawood that we can use."

And so it goes again.... I learned that the covid shutdown of Ecuador, who supplies something like 95% of the world's balsa, is to blame. I don't keep a close eye on this industry. I checked out National Balsa's site - I can buy sheets of balsa there. Balsa USA, Sig ... same... I think there was an ongoing high-demand caused shortage of balsa because of wind turbine manufacturing going into the covid crisis. But now.... looks like it could become worse than the past shortages. Could get downright scarce!

Gus 10-12-2020 08:48 PM

Wolf,

Thanks for the update. I was completely unaware of the current additional strain on balsa supply. I knew that the wind turbine blade manufacture had caused a real shortage of larger balsa blocks but the current problem is just really aggravating. Again, thanks for letting us know.

Steve

Earl 10-12-2020 09:00 PM

Yes, thanks for the heads up. Thankfully for at least for some number of rocketry applications, basswood or even fiberboard can fill in for a decent number of applications.

Earl

georgegassaway 10-12-2020 09:24 PM

So glad I've got a big stash of balsa. Learned that lesson n the early 90's when my LHS had a shortage of good light balsa that I was used to just go in and buy as I needed it. After that, when they got in the god stuff, I began to hoard..... I mean "stock up".

Might be tempted to go to the best LHS in the area and check out their current contest grade wood. But my hoard...uh, "stock" is about as big as it's ever been, and not anticipating building many models with balsa the next year or two.

astronwolf 10-12-2020 10:46 PM

I haven't swept up all the good balsa out of the shops for a while. I go with an electronic scale and a table of masses on an index card. Found some choice wood this ways - contest grade and C-grain, sometime both in the same sheet, as well has the very dense stuff. Time for a foray!!!

ghrocketman 10-13-2020 01:13 AM

This is going to cause more impact to R/C aircraft prices than rockets.
RC uses far more balsa than rockets. Basswood is fine for rocket fins, but way too heavy for general RC construction.

That said, I'm going to raid the balsa supply at my 3 LHS.

tbzep 10-13-2020 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
So glad I've got a big stash of balsa. Learned that lesson n the early 90's when my LHS had a shortage of good light balsa that I was used to just go in and buy as I needed it. After that, when they got in the god stuff, I began to hoard..... I mean "stock up".

Might be tempted to go to the best LHS in the area and check out their current contest grade wood. But my hoard...uh, "stock" is about as big as it's ever been, and not anticipating building many models with balsa the next year or two.

Same here. I started accumulating a bunch of 4" and smaller blocks for turning NC's way back before Carl started offering upscaled versions of NC's at SEMROC. While I don't do competitions, I do have a good selection of sheet balsa all the way up to 1/4". I've got a lot of balsa scrap from building R/C and rocket kits that I don't have to touch the good sheets for fins on smaller models.

GuyNoir 10-13-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway

"When you find a good piece of balsa wood, buy it. You never know when you might need it"

- Guppy Youngren

s1lence 10-13-2020 11:11 AM

I was wondering if that was going to happen, hopefully it will turn around soon.

heada 10-13-2020 11:40 AM

The lumber industry in general is stressed right now and prices are more than double for simple things like construction 2x4s. Between a lack of labor due to COVID and an increase in use of lumber because everyone was home and could work on home improvements, there has been a huge demand for several months and its expected to continue until well into 2021 before the mills can catch up. I wouldn't be surprised if mills that normally cut up and dry balsa are now doing other lumber.