Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New kit at Semroc (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17615)

rraeford 12-01-2018 01:16 PM

New kit at Semroc

Anyone else notice the new Andromeda kit listed at ERockets? It says the kit will be available in January but still looking forward to it.

tbzep 12-01-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraeford
Anyone else notice the new Andromeda kit listed at ERockets? It says the kit will be available in January but still looking forward to it.

Yep. Listed at $999.99. :eek: :chuckle:

ghrocketman 12-01-2018 01:56 PM

What a bargain !
It better have a serial number of -007.

LeeR 12-01-2018 04:58 PM

I guess if you are willing to pay that much, they will send you what they have so far .... ;)

astronwolf 12-02-2018 07:14 AM

It says, "available January 2019"

http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flyi...lable-jan-2019/

Randy went to the trouble of getting silk screened decals made for this kit. It should be a beauty, and a real deal at some price <<$999.99 ;)

jeffyjeep 12-02-2018 07:22 AM

It should be awesome!

stefanj 12-02-2018 09:45 AM

I am terribly over-bought on kits, but the Andromeda is a model I'd love to have again.

I should be able to fly it in the small field we use for club launches.

Jerry Irvine 12-02-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Yep. Listed at $999.99. :eek: :chuckle:
Perfect way to limit early adopter sales to only the most motivated. :D

Scott6060842 12-02-2018 05:52 PM

I'm still flying the one I built from a vintage kit many years ago. When the grandkids pick rockets to launch it gets picked a lot and has a ton of flights on it.

Someday I will need another one but this one has been surprisingly durable.

LeeR 12-02-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
It should be awesome!

I agree! And silk screened decals? Cool .... ;)

tbzep 12-03-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
It says, "available January 2019"

http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-flyi...lable-jan-2019/

Randy went to the trouble of getting silk screened decals made for this kit. It should be a beauty, and a real deal at some price <<$999.99 ;)

And he got one of us to do it. Check bernomatic's posts from not too long ago. :cool:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...59&postcount=14

jeffyjeep 12-03-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I am terribly over-bought on kits, but the Andromeda is a model I'd love to have again.

Ditto.

Ltvscout 12-03-2018 09:42 AM

Well, looks like we need to change our logo again! Tradition has been that we feature old kits in the logo that we'd like Semroc to bring back. Now that they're going to release the Andromeda it's time for something new. What would you folks like to see back in production?

I know I'd still like to see the Quasar (hint, hint, Semroc) released again. That one has been our logo for years.

ghrocketman 12-03-2018 10:49 AM

Enerjet Athena.
Estes K-21 Gemini-Titan.
Estes Nike Ajax.

jeffyjeep 12-03-2018 11:54 AM

The "Dude".

no, not really.

...but seriously:

Nike Ajax
Pershing
Black Brant II
Gemini Titan

ratchetman 12-03-2018 04:01 PM

Centuri SST-1

Tau Zero 12-03-2018 11:43 PM

I'd +1 the Centuri Quasar and SST Shuttle, as well as the Estes Pershing 1A.

LeeR 12-04-2018 02:09 AM

Quote:
And he got one of us to do it. Check bernomatic's posts from not too long ago. :cool:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...59&postcount=14

Wow, Bernard’s come a long way since I saw that he was playing around with silkscreening decals. Very nice!

tbzep 12-04-2018 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Well, looks like we need to change our logo again! Tradition has been that we feature old kits in the logo that we'd like Semroc to bring back. Now that they're going to release the Andromeda it's time for something new. What would you folks like to see back in production?

I know I'd still like to see the Quasar (hint, hint, Semroc) released again. That one has been our logo for years.

Don't change it yet. We need to see the Semroc Andromeda in the wild first. ;)

rraeford 12-09-2018 09:34 PM

Stiletto
Black Widow
T-bird

I like the staged kits.

Also the Skylab.

ghrocketman 12-09-2018 10:00 PM

There is an unopened Stiletto for sale on eBay right now.

PaulK 12-16-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:
Stiletto
Black Widow
T-bird

I like the staged kits.

Also the Skylab.
Skylab would be great. While I like the staged kits too, Stiletto, Black Widow, T-Bird are not difficult to clone (I've done all 3), Semroc has all the parts, including laser-cut fins. Only tricky part is the white decal for the Stiletto, with the loss of Sandman decals. The T-Bird needs to be built with a 24mm booster, which works well with the ST-10 tubing, still room for the coupler.

Space Ranger 12-23-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout

Yes, I would also like to see the Quasar re-released in its original scale, but also as an upscale, maybe a kind of modification of the 2.6" diameter size Silver Comet kit.

And like several others I would like to see the Nike-Ajax & Black Brant II also :)

jeffyjeep 12-23-2018 11:52 PM

Either I’m looking in the wrong place, or the USS Andromeda is gone from ERockets’ website.

matthew 12-24-2018 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Either I’m looking in the wrong place, or the USS Andromeda is gone from ERockets’ website.

Canceled due to lack of interest - apparently no one wanted to pay $1k. :eek:

jeffyjeep 12-24-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew
Canceled due to lack of interest - apparently no one wanted to pay $1k. :eek:

Oh well. It’s a good thing I have enough raw materials and decals to scratch build (3) of them.

Bluegrass Rocket 12-24-2018 11:16 AM

I would say that there is a delay in the kit due to the decals. Just guessing. All of the other kit components are easy.

rraeford 12-24-2018 11:36 AM

Theory #1 - They got tired of answering emails about when this kit will be available, e.g. Now? Now? How about now?

Theory #2 - Estes is planning a rerelease and put the kaybosh on it.

Theory #3 - They are torturing us.

Theory #4 - I got nothin'

bernomatic 12-25-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:
Theory #1 - They got tired of answering emails about when this kit will be available, e.g. Now? Now? How about now?

Theory #2 - Estes is planning a rerelease and put the kaybosh on it.

Theory #3 - They are torturing us.

Theory #4 - I got nothin'

Or Theory #5 - he's got a daughter's wedding coming up and is concentrating on that.

wedding

Having just gone through one, I know how they can require a lot of your time.

rraeford 12-25-2018 09:30 PM

Theory 5 now has my vote.

LeeR 12-26-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
Or Theory #5 - he's got a daughter's wedding coming up and is concentrating on that.

wedding

Having just gone through one, I know how they can require a lot of your time.

I saw that when I looked at the “New” section. It better include free shipping! ;)

the mole 03-20-2019 11:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I see that eRockets has the USS Andromeda up again and giving it a release date of June.

tbzep 03-20-2019 02:27 PM

Bernomatic, have you perfected screen printing or are they going with a different decal type?

ghrocketman 03-20-2019 03:41 PM

Semroc already produced the SST Shuttle, albeit in a CC: format like the Astron Space Plane without instructions.

bernomatic 03-20-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:
Bernomatic, have you perfected screen printing or are they going with a different decal type?

I have not been contacted regarding my Andromeda decals. He must be going elsewhere. :(

Tau Zero 03-20-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
I see that eRockets has the USS Andromeda up again and giving it a release date of June.
From the specified diameter, I wonder if Randy is going with SEMROC ST-7 and ST-9 tubes instead of the original Estes BT-20 and BT-50s, since the former tubes are thicker, "beefier," and sturdier than the latter ones.

Again, just sheer speculation on my part at this point.

tbzep 03-21-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero
From the specified diameter, I wonder if Randy is going with SEMROC ST-7 and ST-9 tubes instead of the original Estes BT-20 and BT-50s, since the former tubes are thicker, "beefier," and sturdier than the latter ones.

Not a bad idea on that long skinny center section or the two outboard "engines". I imagine those parts have been kinked or crushed on many of the original models.

hcmbanjo 03-21-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Zero

You might be right on that! I'd hope so -
My original Estes BT-20 Andromeda buckled at boost and pinwheeled.
The Andromeda tubes should be stronger. I don't think current BT-20s are
as strong as they once were.

the mole 03-21-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcmbanjo
You might be right on that! I'd hope so -
My original Estes BT-20 Andromeda buckled at boost and pinwheeled.
The Andromeda tubes should be stronger. I don't think current BT-20s are
as strong as they once were.

Maybe this explains the delay in getting this kit out.
The test model was made with BT-20 and BT-50 and they didn't hold up.
So ST-7 and ST-9 beefed things up and had better results.

tbzep 03-21-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole
Maybe this explains the delay in getting this kit out.
The test model was made with BT-20 and BT-50 and they didn't hold up.
So ST-7 and ST-9 beefed things up and had better results.

Possibly, but I imagine decals were the big factor. Maybe both.