Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bobcats (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=14568)

tmacklin 12-10-2014 09:58 AM

Bobcats

3 Attachment(s)
This morning around 9:00 AM CST while stumbling around the kitchen and waiting for the coffee to percolate, I took a peek out of the house into the morning fog. As I scanned around to the west I spotted two bobcats about 50 feet away. They were next to a stack of concrete pavers that I have yet to place and drinking water from an old trash can lid that was laying flat on the ground.

I called my wife in and we both watched them snooping around for fifteen minutes or so. Then a third, larger bobcat joined them which we assume was the mama. I managed to retrieve my camera and snap a few pictures through the dirty windows.

chadrog 12-10-2014 10:00 AM

That's way cool! Are they unusual visitors?

tmacklin 12-10-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrog
That's way cool! Are they unusual visitors?

No, but it's unusual to see them in the daytime and we've never seen more than one at a time. I think that the recent heavy morning fog gives them confidence to roam, as we've seen more coyotes, foxes and even deer when the fog is heavy. Plus, we don't have any large dogs laying around to chase them away.

dlazarus6660 12-10-2014 11:44 AM

Cool! What part of Tejas is this location?

tmacklin 12-10-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Cool! What part of Tejas is this location?

Grayson County, about 50 miles north of Dallas. Urban sprawl from Dallas no doubt contributes to wildlife seeking refuge. Hell, that's why I moved! ;)

Joe Wooten 12-10-2014 12:38 PM

I live in a rural area of Illinoisy and one evening last spring our cat started growling and keening very loudly at the back patio door. I looked out to see what I called "his cousin Bob" strolling across the back yard.....

Then the dog came, saw the bobcat, and started barking loudly, causing teh bobcat to sprint into the woods and disappear.

I used to see a lot of them when we lived in the Granbury, Tx area (near Acton).

Gingerdawg 12-10-2014 02:49 PM

Bs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
This morning around 9:00 AM CST while stumbling around the kitchen and waiting for the coffee to percolate, I took a peek out of the house into the morning fog. As I scanned around to the west I spotted two bobcats about 50 feet away. They were next to a stack of concrete pavers that I have yet to place and drinking water from an old trash can lid that was laying flat on the ground.

I called my wife in and we both watched them snooping around for fifteen minutes or so. Then a third, larger bobcat joined them which we assume was the mama. I managed to retrieve my camera and snap a few pictures through the dirty windows.

I call baloney on this! ..........You still percolate coffee???!?!

tmacklin 12-10-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerdawg
I call baloney on this! ..........You still percolate coffee???!?!

OK, OK, you got me there! I brewed it in my Cuisinart. :p

dlazarus6660 12-10-2014 03:59 PM

We have Bobcat in our area and we got Fisher Cat too! Nasty and vicious animals like a wolverine. They have an eerie screech. A 12 year old boy was attacked this past July in Massachusetts. Of all the years I have lived here, I have only heard one once and saw one dead last year on the side of the road.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_%28animal%29

tbzep 12-10-2014 04:46 PM

We have bobcats here, but few people see them. When they do, they swear they saw a panther. When they see them at dusk, they swear they saw a black panther. It's hilarious. "No, it was a panther....it was way too big for a bobcat and it had a tail." Weeeelllll, we see that tail in the photo here, and I've seen them with tails twice as long. Momma was plenty big to fool people that think a bobcat isn't much larger than a house cat! :cool: Can't convince them, though. It's like trying to convince people that astrology is bogus.

It's cool that you got to watch them hang out a while and take pics. I normally only see them running across the road in front of me on the bike, or once in a blue moon running from me when I'm working up in the woods on the fences.