Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Estes Screaming Eagle build (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=4168)

scigs30 11-20-2008 11:19 PM

Estes Screaming Eagle build

I had 3 Michaels 50 percent off coupons so I decided to head out and buy some engines. There was only one box of Engines left so I grabbed it and began looking at some of the kits Michaels has. They don't stock too many so my choices were limited. I came across 2 Screaming Eagle kits. I have never been too impressed by this kit, simply because it looks ugly. As I looked closer at the kit in the store I noticed it is actually a real neat design and the paint job is what makes it look ugly. I decided to buy 2 at half price and build one to look like the real F-15. I will paint it grey and make my own decals on the Alps printer.

barone 11-20-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I had 3 Michaels 50 percent off coupons so I decided to head out and buy some engines. There was only one box of Engines left so I grabbed it and began looking at some of the kits Michaels has. They don't stock too many so my choices were limited. I came across 2 Screaming Eagle kits. I have never been too impressed by this kit, simply because it looks ugly. As I looked closer at the kit in the store I noticed it is actually a real neat design and the paint job is what makes it look ugly. I decided to buy 2 at half price and build one to look like the real F-15. I will paint it grey and make my own decals on the Alps printer.

Yeah....I held off buying one for the longest time because it looked so ugly.....But, if you can get past the paint scheme, it's a great design. Now, If I can ever get around to building one.... :(

scigs30 11-20-2008 11:33 PM

This kit goes together fast, almost like a snap together plastic model. The laser cut parts are awesome and fit perfect. I used white glue to assemble the bird and filled some of the gaps with balsa colored HobbyLite balsa filler. I then sanded everything smooth and applied 4 coats of Aerogloss balsa sealer to smooth out the balsa. My next step is to shoot 1 coat of grey primer and sand smooth. Then I will shoot light grey for the top coat. After applying the decals I am thinking about using some Dullcote. I really like the missiles that are included in the kit.

barone 11-20-2008 11:48 PM

Did you have to build the missiles or were they pre-assembled?

scigs30 11-20-2008 11:52 PM

I had to build them. They are real easy, made from wooden dowels and plastic fins.

tbzep 11-21-2008 06:58 AM

My son is building one too. He's filled in most of the hard points. I think he's going to go with the Streak Eagle paint scheme, but he's talked about the Active test plane's paint too. He'll probably change his mind two or three more times. :rolleyes:

pantherjon 11-21-2008 07:20 AM

I have one of those kits! Yeah, I don't really like the paint scheme used on the face card either..Too gaudy..Also the canopy is the wrong shape too...Will get to it 'one of these days':chuckle:

Rustee 11-21-2008 07:06 PM

Missles

I guess it's too late to suggest using 1/8" plastic tubing instead of dowels for a perfect finish. Those who have yet to buid one could try it. I have pics but I can't upload anything over 488KB and the rocket is gone now. Yes,it's a neat kit but a horrible face card.

cas2047 11-21-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30

I've got one of those still in the bag and was put off by the looks also. But you make it look very good so I just may have to drag that thing out and build it.

I'll just paint it a different color than what's on the header card.

moonzero2 11-22-2008 11:51 AM

What about cutting that body tube down some and adding some nose cone weight to make it look more like an F-15 ?