Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Designer's Studio (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Design -- Dark Star (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=10431)

CPMcGraw 12-25-2011 07:19 PM

New Design -- Dark Star

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a design I've been tinkering with since 2008. Going with the open-frame fins seems to work visually.

You will need a 48" x 3/16" launch rod, since all engines take at least 34" to reach safe flight V.

Length: 47.00"
Diameter: 1.34" (ST-13)
Fin Span: 8.43"
Weight: 3.63 oz

C11-5.......434'......Dv 19 FPS
D12-5.......970'......Dv 26 FPS
E9-6.......1565'......Dv 16 FPS

Enjoy!

John Brohm 12-25-2011 08:50 PM

Another nice one, Craig. Excellent work.

CPMcGraw 12-26-2011 12:13 AM

Thanks, John.

nukemmcssret 12-26-2011 03:37 PM

File Type

Craig what type of file is the fin sheet saved as? I do not have a program tha will open it. Is there any way you can save it as a pdf. File? Very cool rocket by the way. I may build that one. Thanks for the help. :D

Bill 12-26-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemmcssret
Craig what type of file is the fin sheet saved as? I do not have a program tha will open it. Is there any way you can save it as a pdf. File? Very cool rocket by the way. I may build that one. Thanks for the help. :D

Corel Draw. Why that? That is the format Semroc accepts for laser cutting.

Bill

CPMcGraw 12-26-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukemmcssret

The file included in the ZIP is in CDR10 format, which, as Bill said, is the format Carl requires for a cutting pattern that can be fed directly into his machine. The other file in the post is in PNG format, which is generally as readable as JPG and TIF. Download a copy of GIMP to open it and print it out on a sheet of sticky label. You can trim away the text from the image before printing using GIMP.

pantherjon 12-27-2011 08:22 AM

Or use RockSim to print out the fin templates;)

CPMcGraw 12-27-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherjon
Or use RockSim to print out the fin templates;)

True, but I do a bit of editing in Corel Draw to the patterns. The changes are usually subtle, but sometimes they're noticeably visible... :D

snaquin 12-27-2011 06:26 PM

Excellent design Craig.

What I didn't notice at first glance is that the parachute is located in the forward section of the design. I had just assumed it was located behind the transition in the main airframe thinking the HTC-13 was a solid bulkhead .....

It was only after I looked over the RockSim file that I noticed the four parts used to couple between the mid section cone and transition were not dowels but were actually T-6 airframes ..... a pass-thru for the ejection charge gas to the forward section.

Very cool indeed.

:)

CPMcGraw 12-27-2011 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Excellent design Craig.

What I didn't notice at first glance is that the parachute is located in the forward section of the design. I had just assumed it was located behind the transition in the main airframe thinking the HTC-13 was a solid bulkhead .....

It was only after I looked over the RockSim file that I noticed the four parts used to couple between the mid section cone and transition were not dowels but were actually T-6 airframes ..... a pass-thru for the ejection charge gas to the forward section.

Very cool indeed.

:)

Thanks, Steve. Now, getting Carl to explain how to drill those four holes through the NCs without tearing the balsa to shreds is going to be interesting... :rolleyes:

Pass-throughs is another design element I've been trying to work out for some time. The Trident has etched that idea into my brain so deeply...