Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Plans & Publications (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   RDC Enerjet Starflite (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16933)

Ltvscout 11-07-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
That's funny. I was just looking in there for the first time in years. Does Doug still post there?

Once in a great while. But it's usually something off-topic. :chuckle:

astronwolf 11-13-2017 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I adapted the Open Rocket plans for the original RDC Starflite to use currently available parts. The plans have been adapted to use 24mm motors and Semroc parts from eRockets. This is a Big Bertha sized model that I would hesitate flying with an E motor from most of the woodsy fields that I fly on.

The original used tube sizes that are not easily found or sold by any rocketry vendor.
-W

Royatl 11-13-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronwolf
The story is Irv Wait and the development of the first composite rocket motors. I found a old rec.models.rockets discussion that had some informative posts by Mark Johnson. I'm sure that others could chime in.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!m...vI/l7hfqG7fUXEJ

Mark Mayfield had an excellent article on Irv Waite in LAUNCH magazine (sadly I lost all but the last two issues in my recent move)

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-13-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:
I adapted the Open Rocket plans for the original RDC Starflite to use currently available parts. The plans have been adapted to use 24mm motors and Semroc parts from eRockets. This is a Big Bertha sized model that I would hesitate flying with an E motor from most of the woodsy fields that I fly on.

The original used tube sizes that are not easily found or sold by any rocketry vendor.
-W

I cut the fins for my clone last night at work. I picked up the other close parts last Tuesday at eRockets and I'll be putting it all together tonight. I'll post a pic when it gets to the point that it can stand without anything falling off.

Joe Wooten 11-13-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Once in a great while. But it's usually something off-topic. :chuckle:

Allis-Chalmers tractors or Terri Garr???? :chuckle:

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-13-2017 03:15 PM

Quote:

Ah, the good ol' days. ;)

astronwolf 11-13-2017 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I cut the fins for my clone last night at work. I picked up the other close parts last Tuesday at eRockets and I'll be putting it all together tonight. I'll post a pic when it gets to the point that it can stand without anything falling off.

I just ordered the parts. This model rocket intrigues me. Nothing terribly unique about the design. It's the history. It's among the first, if not THE first, kit offered for the first composite propellant model rocket motors.

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-13-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:
I just ordered the parts. This model rocket intrigues me. Nothing terribly unique about the design. It's the history. It's among the first, if not THE first, kit offered for the first composite propellant model rocket motors.

Ditto. I have a fin pattern if you want to try it out. Not sure if it's exact, but I think it's close.

Jerry Irvine 11-13-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:
Clearly the first.

tbzep 11-13-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Orange paint on Allis-Chalmers tractors and Terri Garr's nose. ;)