Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1966 AeroDart color? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18168)

vulcanitebill 11-08-2019 10:20 PM

1966 AeroDart color?
 
The first aero-dart photos/drawings I saw were in the 1965 or 1966 Centuri catalog. I thought I remembered the body being a dark color with metallic or chrome roll pattern. I was wondering if the real color would be something like a dark red or maybe dark blue. I've been looking at the catalogs again and most of the images look like black. I'm wondering if I painted a clone if it would be close enough to use a dark red instead of black.

Earl 11-08-2019 11:00 PM

The Aerodart in the 1965 catalog, to me, has always looked black. With the cut strips of chrome self adhesive for roll patterns. Good looking rocket for its day.

But, as these things go, whatever is YOUR desire and is fitting to YOU, go with that, unless you really, really want to recreate the catalog 'experience', which is fine, too.

But a deep red or dark blue would probably look pretty cool also.

Post some pics when you get done...if not before that! Always like to see some Mini Max clones!

P.S. - A link to the 1965 Aerodart catalog page, if you have not seen it recently:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca...65/65cen50.html


Earl

ghrocketman 11-09-2019 01:40 AM

Looks Satin Black in that catalog pic.

stefanj 11-09-2019 09:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I assumed black for the body tube, red for the fins.

I put a chrome wrap on the payload tube, and overlaid this with transparent label stock printed with a 1/4" checker board.

The tough part for this model was the body tube. I built it well before the Semroc 1.5" ID tubes were available. I found a mailing tube that was a very close match, and had BMS make up cones for me. I used slices of body tube to make centering rings, as I recall.

I flew the model many times before it had a sort-of-core-sample. I'm undecided about whether to rebuild the payload section and put it back into service.

If I started over again, I'd add motor retention. (I used masking tape, for that genuine mid-60s experience.)

vulcanitebill 11-09-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The tough part for this model was the body tube. I built it well before the Semroc 1.5" ID tubes were available. I found a mailing tube that was a very close match, and had BMS make up cones for me.


Mine is upscaled using 2.75" phenolic tubing, total length about 51". My nose cone is not completely to scale, a bit longer than it should be. I like 29mm G motors for this size rocket.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.