Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Rocket Boosted Gliders (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Dragonship 7 RC RG (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17025)

burkefj 12-19-2017 10:41 AM

Dragonship 7 RC RG

2 Attachment(s)
This is something I've pondered, but sort of fell together quickly once I decided to start drawing, upsized the wings of course, tried to keep their general shape/feel, then hand cut the red and black details, and made a rivet template out of a 12" long piece of milk jug with holes in it every 1/4" made with a leather punch, simply aligned the strip with my clear triangle, and made little circles in each hole with my fine line sharpie, actually didn't take too long, maybe 20-30 minutes for several hundred rivets on the fuse and wing. For the fuse I just wrapped the piece of plastic around the body tube and used it the same way.

23.5" wingspan, 34" long, 2.6" diameter. 11 oz rtf.

ghrocketman 12-19-2017 01:08 PM

Looks really good, but the cluster of engine tubes on the original is a must.

burkefj 12-19-2017 01:11 PM

I understand, I was torn, but tail weight is not a must for a rocket glider, in fact quite the opposite, so I substituted the look using trim vinyl. Gliders are a real trade-off for looks versus weight. If had painted I could have done shadows to make them look more like tubes.

I started with a solid piece of silver. I decided pieces of black cut at a slight angle would look ok, but it turned out more like an afterburner cone, I wasn't sure how to do it well with just solid color trim. Maybe if I had just used straight pieces of black trim instead of angled they would have looked more tube like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Looks really good, but the cluster of engine tubes on the original is a must.

AstronMike 12-20-2017 10:20 AM

Sky Dragon?

Hmm, looks like a cross between SkyDart and Dragonship 7 there!

Nice looking 'tweener' this is, a break from the standard angular fare. Kind of like the Concorde, where I have the hardest time getting those compound wing curves right, so I'd fudge them more angular instead.

Have you found a suitable replacement for the old 6mm Depron yet? Still not convinced about the Adams/Flite-test stuff, since you indicated it's not readily gluable with usual stuff.

Keeping a good eye on what you're turning out. You gotta run outta room for these things at *some* point, right?? :D

stefanj 12-20-2017 10:22 AM

Oh, MAN, now picturing a mock dogfight between the Dragon Ship and an Excalibur boost glider.

burkefj 12-20-2017 10:47 AM

I've now switched to Model Plane Foam(MPF) it is close to 6mm, white, works and paints just like depron, is slightly less stiff, but with a through the tube mounting with a single carbon spar is working as good as the depron. It's slightly lighter as well.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstronMike
Hmm, looks like a cross between SkyDart and Dragonship 7 there!

Nice looking 'tweener' this is, a break from the standard angular fare. Kind of like the Concorde, where I have the hardest time getting those compound wing curves right, so I'd fudge them more angular instead.

Have you found a suitable replacement for the old 6mm Depron yet? Still not convinced about the Adams/Flite-test stuff, since you indicated it's not readily gluable with usual stuff.

Keeping a good eye on what you're turning out. You gotta run outta room for these things at *some* point, right?? :D

burkefj 12-20-2017 10:52 AM

An Excalibur themed rc rg is do-able, but the long trailing edge spikes would be a breakage problem unless I ran some carbon down the tip, and that adds some tail weight.....and it would require a different nose cone, that is heavier than the PNC-80BB cone.....

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
Oh, MAN, now picturing a mock dogfight between the Dragon Ship and an Excalibur boost glider.

burkefj 12-20-2017 06:04 PM

Here is the maiden flight today in about 5mph winds, it literally flew perfectly off the board, no change to cg, boost or glide trim:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSJe...eature=youtu.be

ghrocketman 12-20-2017 09:28 PM

Wow ! Looks like that one glides great.

When flying your RC/RGs, have you ever used a portion of the rocket thrust for forward/horizontal flight instead of all in the vertical ?

burkefj 12-20-2017 09:44 PM

Sure, I've done aerobatics, level flight, split esses under boost, they just make for a shorter flight and less interesting videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Wow ! Looks like that one glides great.

When flying your RC/RGs, have you ever used a portion of the rocket thrust for forward/horizontal flight instead of all in the vertical ?