Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Long-term collectibility as we age out (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18997)

astronwolf 11-13-2020 05:42 PM

Long-term collectibility as we age out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody's Workshop
Buy them up, sit on them. Or leave them to your kids.
Those things will be worth money in 40 years.

Different topic so I tried to move it into a new thread from the AC Supply website thread....

Don't make the mistake that our kids value a horde of kits like we do, especially if it means they have to store it for 20-30 years. The kit collectors are us, and when we go the market goes. It happened to the Elvis market - it used to be hot, but the old Elvis fans all started to die off and no one gives a hoot about run-of-the-mill Elvis memorabilia. Unless it is of historical value and rare, your Xarconian Destroyer or Gnome kit isn't going to be worth much in 20 years.

ghrocketman 11-13-2020 05:48 PM

I have many collectible/rare kits and I intend to BUILD them.

astronwolf 11-13-2020 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

That is probably one of the best options, IMHO. I will build and give away. The rest goes into the dumpster after I die.

Earl 11-13-2020 06:38 PM

I build and collect, but the main reason was/is to build the kits I missed and, like many others, could not afford as a kid.

My ultimate plan would be to name a recepient (museum, etc.) to receive my collection (whatever is left) after I am gone.

Earl

Neal Miller 11-14-2020 08:30 AM

Kits of days gone by

Both of my daughters love to fly rockets, and they both have built them in the past. BUT as both of them are now Adults, they do not have any interest in the collection that I amassed. Nor would they have any idea what to do with it. So I decided to let go it is 99% gone. sold for someone to enjoy.
I had 49 years of good times with Model rockets but now I only have pictures and the memory's.

A Fish Named Wallyum 11-14-2020 08:59 AM

When Carl started producing his early kits as numbered kits I was buying two, one to build, one to save. I quickly soured on the idea because of the space that collecting takes up that could be better used for storing flyable rockets. I've got a cabinet full of rockets that I bought, but never got around to build in addition to the Semroc low numbers. I really need to think about selling some of it off.
Or trading. ;) :rolleyes:

LeeR 11-14-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman

Me too! But I'll need to live to 117 years of age, at my current build rate and inventory levels.

If we continue the draconian lockdown measures, my build rate may go up a bit ...

:rolleyes:

BEC 11-14-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
When Carl started producing his early kits as numbered kits I was buying two, one to build, one to save. I quickly soured on the idea because of the space that collecting takes up that could be better used for storing flyable rockets. I've got a cabinet full of rockets that I bought, but never got around to build in addition to the Semroc low numbers. I really need to think about selling some of it off.
Or trading. ;) :rolleyes:

I'm in this boat, too. And since I got several very early in the kit runs, I have a few low-numbered flyers as well. But now....I have way too many kits and I'm sure my kids and grandkids won't care too much about nuances like Centurion-F or Maxi Micron number 0008, or Fliskits Celtic Thunder #13.

Hmmmmmm.......

...and that reminds me I need to build the other Celtic Thunder.

Gus 11-14-2020 01:54 PM

I bought a number of the Semroc and Flis low number kits when they were new. I was always thrilled to get them and they cost no more than their regular price. In the recent past I've sold some low number kits and they don't seem to bring much of a premium. But since they didn't cost any extra it doesn't really bother me. At the time I got them they brought me real pleasure, like so much of what Jim and Carl did, and for that I'm grateful.

BEC 11-14-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
At the time I got them they brought me real pleasure, like so much of what Jim and Carl did, and for that I'm grateful.

Absolutely agreed, Steve!