Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Estes F motor kits (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18277)

Jerry Irvine 01-28-2020 08:11 PM

Estes F motor kits

I want to start a thread on any and all kits that fit or can use Estes F motors (1.12 x 4.5"). Chat.

BEC 01-28-2020 11:36 PM

Let’s see - off the top of my head:

The recently discontinued Semroc Centurion F, as well as most all the Semroc SLS kits except maybe the Brighton (with the appropriate variant of the motor mount in them). I fly my SLS AeroDart on 29mm Estes motors.

Estes Star Orbiter and the current version of the Super Big Bertha are designed for and are both great flyers on these motors.

There are the E2X PSII kits (Majestic, Ascender in particular).

That’s a start.

LeeR 01-29-2020 01:02 AM

The Semroc SLS Brighton includes a 29mm interchangeable mount, in addition to the 4x18mm, and 3x24mm interchangeable mounts.

Since Jerry says “any and all kits”, might as well list the discontinued PS II E2X kits: Mammoth, Trajector, and Prowler.

BEC 01-29-2020 01:20 AM

I just figured the Brighton might be too heavy is the only reason I said that....

I’d say the same for the Trajector and Mammoth. The older PSII builder’s kits (Partizon, Argent, Ventris, Scion, Sahara in particular) could likely also fly on calm day on an F15. I’d be afraid to try in the Leviathan unless it was dead calm and the Mega DRM is definitely out.

It occurs to me that some small LOC kits, notably the 1.6 inch diameter ones such as the Weasel and Aura, might fly fine on F15s.

Scott_650 01-29-2020 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
The Semroc SLS Brighton includes a 29mm interchangeable mount, in addition to the 4x18mm, and 3x24mm interchangeable mounts.

Since Jerry says “any and all kits”, might as well list the discontinued PS II E2X kits: Mammoth, Trajector, and Prowler.

I can tell you from experience that the Mammoth flies well in calm conditions on an adapted Estes 24mm BP F motor since I’ve done it several times. The Trajector was less than optimal - it must be the extra drag from the pods and the big Interceptor nose cone but that was a one and done flight!

I used a one piece, 4 ft launch rod and the wind was about nonexistent.

Flash 01-29-2020 09:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Meet my Godzilla Rocket which was made from an Estes Ascender Pro Series II rocket. I have only launched it on Estes 29mm E16-6 motors so far. Three flights, all on school grounds at school wide rocket launches.

5x7 01-29-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
I can tell you from experience that the Mammoth flies well in calm conditions on an adapted Estes 24mm BP F motor since I’ve done it several times. The Trajector was less than optimal - it must be the extra drag from the pods and the big Interceptor nose cone but that was a one and done flight!

I used a one piece, 4 ft launch rod and the wind was about nonexistent.

24mm Estes E or Aerotech F?

Scott_650 01-29-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
24mm Estes E or Aerotech F?

Oops! Estes 24mm BP E!

LeeR 01-29-2020 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I just figured the Brighton might be too heavy is the only reason I said that....

You’d definitely not want to overbuild the Brighton. It’s listed net weight is 11.6 oz. The Mammoth is listed at 11.9 oz. BUT ... the Mammoth is not going to pick up a lot of weight from epoxy, fillers and paint.

If you can trust the maximum liftoff weights for the F15-4 (has anyone ever seen one?) and F15-6, at 21 oz. and 17 oz. respectively, the Brighton should be fine. I’ve flown my Mammoth numerous times on F15-6s, and it flies great.

jbuscaglia 01-29-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I’ve flown my Mammoth numerous times on F15-6s, and it flies great.

Yeah, I was skeptical of the F15-6 in the Mammoth at first, but figured Estes must know what they're doing, so I went with it. They were right.