Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Estes non parts (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18920)

caheaton 10-14-2020 07:57 PM

Estes non parts

Guess that happens with the manufacturing getting outsourced. I contacted Estes to see about replacing the body tube and decal on my digital Astrocam (I know...it's a trivial matter to build or replace from stock parts but I inquired hoping to see if I could keep it looking all stock).

I was told that Estes hasn't stocked spare parts for their models in over 10 years and no parts are available. Bummer......

Email was from Sandra Cox.

neil_w 10-14-2020 08:52 PM

Yes, that has been known for a long time. It is the reason why, if you have a damaged part in a kit, Estes will send you a whole new kit, because they simply don't keep replacement parts on hand.

Joe Wooten 10-15-2020 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_w
Yes, that has been known for a long time. It is the reason why, if you have a damaged part in a kit, Estes will send you a whole new kit, because they simply don't keep replacement parts on hand.

Probably due to high inventory taxes on businesses.

jadebox 10-15-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Probably due to high inventory taxes on businesses.

Only a few states tax inventory. Colorado is not one of them.

neil_w 10-15-2020 10:34 AM

I think it just fails a basic cost/benefit analysis for them. Stocking individual parts would be a lot of extra overhead for them; I can understand the decision, even though it would certainly be nicer *for us* if they did it.

aeppel_cpm 10-15-2020 12:25 PM

It doesn't hurt to ask. They have a parts collection - it's just not complete. Bits and bobs from broken packages, I assume.

Sandra was recently able to help me with a Pro Series Nike Smoke finset. I thought those would be unobtainium.

BEC 10-15-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton
Guess that happens with the manufacturing getting outsourced. I contacted Estes to see about replacing the body tube and decal on my digital Astrocam (I know...it's a trivial matter to build or replace from stock parts but I inquired hoping to see if I could keep it looking all stock).

I was told that Estes hasn't stocked spare parts for their models in over 10 years and no parts are available. Bummer......

After an incident I replaced the body on mine with a regular white BT-50 tube. I was able to carefully peel the sticker off the original model and put it on the new tube. It looks OK....not great but OK.

s1lence 10-16-2020 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton

That is what I was told on my sky twister that the nose cone copter broke on the very first flight.

Two weeks ago a new nose cone arrived in my mail. So I guess it is hit or miss.