Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Vendors (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Very sad news regarding Semroc and Carl McLawhorn (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=12829)

Sirius Rocketry 08-12-2013 12:49 PM

I got a call from John Dyer this morning telling me the sad news. Evie and I are shocked and saddened that we have lost another member of our extended family. Rocketry has lost another one of the good ones and our condolences to Sheryl , Bruce, Lisa and the entire family. Carl was a great man, and will be very missed.

BrianURocket 08-12-2013 12:52 PM

Thoughts and Prayers to Sheryl, Bruce and family. My re-entrance into the hobby as a BAR was extremely influenced by Semroc. I only e-mailed with Carl, but from all his actions and forum posts, I could tell his true enthusiasm for the hobby. A huge loss to the rocketry community.

BEC 08-12-2013 12:59 PM

There is nothing more I can add....just stunned and now treasuring the short time I was able to visit with him at NSL this year (and even more now the two models I got him to sign).

Prayers for all the Semroc family and a promise to support as I can in the future.

EchoVictor 08-12-2013 01:13 PM

Wow, such sad news. Thoughts and prayers with the McLawhorn family today.

Makes me treasure this picture even more...

Later,
EV

A Fish Named Wallyum 08-12-2013 01:15 PM

Worst wake-up news I've had in years.

jharding58 08-12-2013 01:16 PM

There are simply no words.

Vanel 08-12-2013 01:19 PM

Carl was one of the greats of rocketry - his enthusiasm for the hobby, his willingness to go above and beyond for us rocketeers, his encyclopedic knowledge, and his abundant kindness will be sorely missed.

The NASA meteor cameras recorded several bright Perseids over North Carolina last night; not scientific, but I would like to think it was the heavens welcoming Carl. To quote Shakespeare:

"When beggars die there are no comets seen;
The heavens themselves blaze forth the death of princes."

My thoughts and sympathies to Sheryl, Bruce, and the family.

JumpJet 08-12-2013 01:28 PM

I was very fortunate to spend many hours with Carl during NSL setting up all those old rockets models we put on display. For many of the models Carl pulled out of the boxes he would stop, look at it for a while, then proceed to tell me some type of historical information on the model such as the year it came out, or who the Centuri or Estes designer of that particular model was. He was in fact a big kid in a Candy Store that day. I will truly miss him.

John Boren

Ironnerd 08-12-2013 01:51 PM

Sad news indeed. He shall be greatly missed.

STRMan 08-12-2013 02:12 PM

Here I sit at work at my desk, a 50 year old man, and I'm actually crying because of the passing of a man I never actually met in person. I knew Carl though his postings here, a few emails, and the excellent service he and his family gave me as I became a BAR. I had always hoped to one day shake his hand.

My deepest condolences to not only Carl's immediate family, but his extended family here in the model rocket community.