Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Picked up a Vintage NOS Xacto #89 tool cabinet (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18536)

ghrocketman 05-21-2020 10:15 PM

Picked up a Vintage NOS Xacto #89 tool cabinet

Picked up a Vintage Xacto #89 tool cabinet on ebay.
Filled with NOS tools that are pristine.
A particular seller refurbishes them.
This is the large two-panel set that has most of the important Xacto tools.
Xacto only made one larger set, the three panel #99.
Several blades in the set I never even knew existed and were discontinued by the mid 70's.
Will post pics soon.

snaquin 05-22-2020 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Picked up a Vintage Xacto #89 tool cabinet on ebay.
Filled with NOS tools that are pristine.
A particular seller refurbishes them.
This is the large two-panel set that has most of the important Xacto tools.
Xacto only made one larger set, the three panel #99.
Several blades in the set I never event knew existed and were discontinued by the mid 70's.
Will post pics soon.

Nice find. I remember the large two-panel sets.

jeffyjeep 05-22-2020 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know what the model number is, but this is the XACTO set I've used for the last 35+ years. Most of the blades are original. Some are long gone. For me, the mahogany sanding block is the most useful tool in the box.

ghrocketman 05-22-2020 06:11 PM

Jeffy-
That set is the #86, Standard Craft Knife Set.
The #86 set is the first full Xacto set I got. Think probably around 1982.
I still have that set along with 4 other Xacto sets/chests.
Before that I just used a #1 knife with #11 blades and a #5 red handle with a razor saw for all my R/C and Rocketry construction.

ghrocketman 05-22-2020 10:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the #89 Xacto set I just acquired along with a pic of two other vintage sets.
The one with the clear sliding top is an old #86 before they came in a hinged box.
The other one is a #5021 Deluxe Knife Set.

jeffyjeep 05-22-2020 10:35 PM

Wow! That #89 set is one lucky find!

ghrocketman 05-22-2020 11:06 PM

The seller on ebay gets the cabinets then restocks them with vintage NOS Xacto pieces.
I think the last year Xacto offered this set, the 3-panel larger #99, and the smaller #88N Hobby Den was somewhere around 1981.

The #89 set pictured here was the 2nd largest set offered by Xacto.

Earl 05-22-2020 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Here's a pic of the #89 Xacto set I just acquired along with a pic of two other vintage sets.
The one with the clear sliding top is an old #86 before they came in a hinged box.
The other one is a #5021 Deluxe Knife Set.

Yeah, GH, that is quite the knife and tool set! Man, I'd have keeled over dead if I had been able to get a set like that as a kid. Heck, I'd keeled over if I just got the standard little three knife set.

I started off with the Xacto #8, which is that 'clamshell halves' knife that pivoted at the center of the handle so you could insert/remove the blade. It cost about $.30. I had that for a couple years as a kid then finally got the good 'ol Xacto #1, which I still have and still use. I used those two for quite a number of years. Later on one could get all kind of Xacto knockoff knife sets for super cheap, and I have picked up a number of those over the years and they have worked just fine.

But that is a prize set you got there, GH.

Earl

ghrocketman 05-22-2020 11:43 PM

It's a really neat set. Would have loved to have a set this complete back when I first got into RC Airplanes and Rocketry back in 1977.
I missed out on a Xacto #99 three-panel Super set about 2mos ago on ebay.
It went for somewhere around $400.

Don Altschwager 05-23-2020 01:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just re-did our Hobby-Craft room and can now hang my Hobby-Den over my workbench. I picked this up on Ebay about 2 1/2 years ago.