Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Raytheon Coyote 2 Anti-UAV Missile (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18380)

frognbuff 03-19-2020 06:22 AM

Raytheon Coyote 2 Anti-UAV Missile

3 Attachment(s)
Stumbled on this one. The Coyote 2 is intended to be a missile for use against small UAVs. Notice the booster propulsion?

frognbuff 03-19-2020 06:29 AM

Personally, I don't like the crossover to hobby/amateur rocketry. It's one thing to build models of missiles. It's quite another, in the eyes of an uninformed public, to have a tangible link between an actual weapon system and amateur rocketry. To those who (incorrectly) assume all rockets are just dangerous missiles in disguise, this might 'confirm' their fears.

Yes, the old "Smokey SAM" motors from Vulcan Industries were used to simulate surface-to-air missiles for the Air Force. But they were mostly for the visual effect (for the pilots) of seeing something shoot off the ground. They didn't really look like missiles and they certainly weren't guided. Now, a guided missile boosted by, what, a cluster of "I" motors?! Ah well. Credit to Raytheon for minimizing costs!

ghrocketman 03-19-2020 06:31 AM

Looks like Aerotech based boosters.

Scott_650 03-19-2020 07:59 AM

The Coyote is a low-cost, expendable, portable drone system - I think just about all the US armed forces use them along with the Weather Service maybe? (data gathering in storms I think). This looks like it might be a trade show model or test article of the next-gen Coyote anti-UAV drone? Since the current Coyote is tube launched with folding wings/tail surfaces I’m willing to bet Coyote 2 will be tube launched as well. So will Aerotech motors be reliable enough when stored in the launcher, under all kinds of adverse conditions, to work for the Navy or USMC? Not really what they’re designed for so maybe Raytheon is using COTS motors for testing while developing something proprietary for operational use? Military UAV and anti-UAV development is a moving target - interesting to watch and think about...

astronwolf 03-19-2020 10:39 AM

Anyone know what propellant/reload they are using? One that doesn't chuff, hopefully.

ghrocketman 03-19-2020 11:08 AM

Pretty sure that BT has the highest ISP.
Then again many AtoA missiles have exhaust that looks a lot like WL.

BARGeezer 03-19-2020 01:11 PM

Why use an RMS casing instead of a SU motor? Are they planning on retrieving these after firing?
I would also be interested to know their system for igniting 4 composite motors simultaneously.

Earl 03-19-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARGeezer
Why use an RMS casing instead of a SU motor? Are they planning on retrieving these after firing?
I would also be interested to know their system for igniting 4 composite motors simultaneously.

Yeah, I was wondering about the cluster ignition system myself. It's not hard, but I wonder about their system for 'quick' field setup, etc. I can't really imagine defense military personnel sitting there and doing a cluster wiring job a la a hobbiest setup.

Earl

Scott_650 03-19-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yeah, I was wondering about the cluster ignition system myself. It's not hard, but I wonder about their system for 'quick' field setup, etc. I can't really imagine defense military personnel sitting there and doing a cluster wiring job a la a hobbiest setup.

Earl

The current Coyote is an expendable recon drone. They can be linked into a swarm - the DoD has been experimenting with them as an anti-drone weapon, basically going kamikaze on the enemy drone. The Coyote 2 isn’t so much a conventional missile - it’s a jet engine powered expendable drone/UAV specifically designed as an anti-drone weapon. The booster launches it - presumably from a canister like the current Coyote - then the jet engine takes over and the operator flies it to the target UAV, or links it with the rest of the swarm, or lets it “see” the target then puts in autonomous mode. The higher speed from the jet engine rather than a propeller might even let Coyote 2 work as a low energy kinetic weapon. The booster may be recoverable - probably not in a hostile environment but if it’s being used for data gathering - but that doesn’t solve the clustered engine launch from a canister situation. Fun stuff to ponder on, actually.

Earl 03-19-2020 04:12 PM

Yes, I’d be very interested in their ignition techniques. Could be some approaches there that might could be ported over to the hobby side.

Interesting stuff!

Earl