Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Kit Collecting (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Estes Saturn V K-36NF (Non-Flying) Kit? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11977)

stefanj 11-14-2013 11:35 PM

Thanks, Earl! Cool story.

Gus 11-15-2013 12:49 AM

Earl, thanks! Really interesting thread and the additional info from Vern is just wonderful. But, honestly, I'm not at all surprised he would take the time to research your question. He's just that kind of guy.

Bill 11-15-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Earl, thanks! Really interesting thread and the additional info from Vern is just wonderful. But, honestly, I'm not at all surprised he would take the time to research your question. He's just that kind of guy.

I'll say it again. Vern and Gleda is the closest we come to royalty in this hobby. I really appreciate how they continue to support us.

Bill

pterodactyl 11-15-2013 10:26 AM

> Vern and Gleda is the closest we come to royalty in this hobby. I really appreciate how they continue to support us.

Truer words were never written in this forum.

Jerry Irvine 11-15-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
I'll say it again. Vern and Gleda is the closest we come to royalty in this hobby. I really appreciate how they continue to support us.
Agreed. Their constant support well after they sold their business is telling how they feel about this baby they birthed. It's around 55 years old now.

Jerry

mkrobel 11-15-2013 06:14 PM

Thanks for the update. very Interesting.

stefanj 11-15-2013 06:19 PM

I'd like to propose something.

If anyone here finds one of these, in-box, for sale cheap at a thrift store or garage sale . . .

. . . don't build it.

Donate it to the NAR auction. The kit collectors would go NUTS.

Earl 11-15-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

If anyone here finds one of these, in-box, for sale cheap at a thrift store or garage sale . . .

. . . don't build it.

At the very least, I'd like to ask if anyone comes across one of these or even hears of a story about someone who had one in the past to at least record the story in this thread.

Other than this unbuilt one, there has been the mention of only one other instance of someone having had this kit (a member of this forum stated it in another thread here a couple weeks ago). As I mentioned in my post last night, there would have been many international visitors to KSC around the time of Apollo 10 (and presumably through to the Apollo 11 launch 'era' a couple months later).

Of the 600 kits Estes sent to be sold at the Visitor Center, I suspect a decent number of them left US soil to points literally around the globe. Vern's comment in his letter that the remainder likely will never be found by the rocketry community is probably not far off the mark.

Earl

Ez2cDave 11-17-2013 08:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj

. . . don't build it.

If I ever find one, it's going on EBAY, so those collectors can go nuts for MY benefit ! ! !

I have seen an NIB ENERJET AERO-DART go for almost $1100 on Ebay, several year ago and a NIKE-RAM go for over $750 . . . ( Pics below ) . . .