Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Model Rocket History (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What’s in a name? Nova, Payloader, Super? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18327)

BEC 02-21-2020 02:14 AM

What’s in a name? Nova, Payloader, Super?

1 Attachment(s)
It’s amusing to me how Estes kit names can sort of sound related, but when you look at the models, they don’t seem to be.

Here’s an illustration:

Current Easy Build #2497 Nova, #1960 Nova Payloader (this example built in the first configuration of that model), #7248 Super Nova (from a recent reissue kit - called Supernova in the 2020 catalog) and #2155 Super Nova Payloader - OOP in 2001 after a three-year run - this one from eBay.

For your amusement.....

(There’s also has been a Starship Nova and a Nova Scout Ship and there is currently a Red Nova, but I haven’t built any of them.)

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-21-2020 05:29 AM

I have the Nova Scoutship, Red Nova, Nova Payloader and Super Nova Payloader. The last two have flown. The first two haven't. I'm still trying to source decals for the Nova Scoutship. :rolleyes:

tbzep 02-21-2020 07:31 AM

You guys need to build a Bossa Nova. Paint it up with a Brazilian flair. Launch it to the music. :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum 02-21-2020 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
You guys need to build a Bossa Nova. Paint it up with a Brazilian flair. Launch it to the music. :cool:

:-| I have a Nova SS and an FSI Nova.

tbzep 02-21-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
:-| I have a Nova SS and an FSI Nova.

Both OOP...but the FSI Nova is a lot quicker as long as you limit the race to 1000 ft. :D

BARGeezer 02-21-2020 11:30 AM

"No va" in Spanish means doesn't go.
Bad name choice for a car or rocket. :D

ghrocketman 02-21-2020 03:46 PM

The only Estes Nova worth half-a-hoot is the STARSHIP Nova.
All the others are BORRRRRRRIIIIIINNNGGGG !

LeeR 02-21-2020 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
I'm still trying to source decals for the Nova Scoutship. :rolleyes:

Here you go. Not cheap — $15.95, but Mark at stickershock23.com has sales all the time.

I just ran across these recently. I have the nose cone for the Nova Scoutship, and want to scratch-build one.

BARGeezer 02-21-2020 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
I have the Nova Scoutship, Red Nova, Nova Payloader and Super Nova Payloader. The last two have flown. The first two haven't. I'm still trying to source decals for the Nova Scoutship. :rolleyes:

Do you home print decals? I cleaned up the scan on YORP for the Scout Ship Nova and changed the background to black so it can be printed on white decal paper. Reason is because if yellow is printed on clear decal paper it frequently disappears on a black background. So if you like you can try this scan and see if it's of an acceptable quality on white decal paper:

BEC 02-21-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
The only Estes Nova worth half-a-hoot is the STARSHIP Nova.
All the others are BORRRRRRRIIIIIINNNGGGG !

....well, for those who are easily bored, I suppose.... :D