Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Building Techniques (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Your preferred method of sealing balsa wood (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=18479)

RobVG 05-01-2020 12:39 PM

Your preferred method of sealing balsa wood

Items pulled from the 1st 20 pages of this forum.

Don't forget to vote even if it's "other". It'll be quick access data for us newbs :)

ghrocketman 05-01-2020 01:43 PM

3 Coats of Pactra Aero Gloss Balsa Fillercoat followed by 2 coats of Pactra Aero Gloss Sanding Sealer.

Scott6060842 05-01-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
3 Coats of Pactra Aero Gloss Balsa Fillercoat followed by 2 coats of Pactra Aero Gloss Sanding Sealer.

I would vote for this as a preferred method. I like the way Balsa Fillercoat gets "sucked into" 40-50 year old balsa .... but have to admit lately I have been leaving out the two coats of Sanding Sealer and been using a coat of filler primer instead.

tdracer 05-01-2020 03:53 PM

My preferred method has evolved over the years - and the exact method depends on how good the final result needs to be (e.g. display model vs. a frequent flyer). However I'm anal enough about it that I always do at least basic wood sealing and filling body tube spirals even for 'disposable' flyers.
My current primary method is a layer of Elmer's white glue (i.e. "Glue All"), sand, then a coat of thinned Elmer's Wood Filler, sand, then at least two coats of sandable primer (different colors). I like Krylon Industrial Tough Coat sandable primer.

ghrocketman 05-01-2020 05:04 PM

I only fill tube spirals on Scale jobs and even those not often.
Wayyyyyy too much tedium.

tdracer 05-01-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I only fill tube spirals on Scale jobs and even those not often.
Wayyyyyy too much tedium.

I said I'm sort of anal about it. There have been times when I was building a simple rocket for some public launch (and didn't even expect to get it back after it flew) and I still couldn't stand not filling the fins and body seams...
Yea, I know, but it's sort of 'if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right'.

joltinjoecanada 05-01-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
I would vote for this as a preferred method..... but have to admit lately I have been leaving out the two coats of Sanding Sealer and been using a coat of filler primer instead.

Quick and easy method for sure, and a shortcut that many modelers use, but makes for a heavy rocket with the resulting performance penalty.

RobVG 05-03-2020 11:15 AM

So far, 25% have selected "other". How about posting a comment and letting us know what
works for you?

Rocketflyer 05-04-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobVG
So far, 25% have selected "other". How about posting a comment and letting us know what
works for you?

Rob, check the archives/posts here., this has been tossed around forever.

Mountainman2442 05-04-2020 08:59 AM

I usually use diluted Elmers wood filler but it depends on the situation. I have a Enerjet Hustler clone with it's long two piece fins that I used epoxy to fill and strengthen.

But to the point of the poll my preferred method is EWF since it is very easy to sand and doesn't react to any paint I've found yet.