Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Plans & Publications (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   any ID on this one ???? (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=6051)

Green Dragon 10-22-2009 09:30 PM

any ID on this one ????

5 Attachment(s)
OK, was going through my pics of my last years attic find, looking for Micro Probe details (see other thread here on YORF ).

have this pic of a bird in the lot.

looks to be a kit, but I have no knowledge beyond that .

it's ST7, 3/32" balsa fins, has CHROME vacuplated cone, not painted.... ( white plastic cone ).

I have NEVER seen this cone , or know who made it, so unsure the kit origin either.

these 53 birds , and some late 1968 engines, were found, wrapped in 1972 newspapers, in a local attic. in the fall of 2008.

lot of nice parts, warped fins, early kits and scratchbuilts, plus many that might be plan-built, if the plans could be found ( mostly military type rockets - sidewinder,seahawk,etc )

any thoughts.

pic 1 = rocket asking about above, chrome cone

other pics are teaser shots the day I brought em home, filled the entire porch railing of my duplex :)

sandman 10-22-2009 10:38 PM

Seems pretty heavy on the Centuri side.

Nice find.

SEL 10-23-2009 01:18 AM

Al,

The rocket body and fins looks like a Centuri 'Chuter 2' minus the payload section. The nose cone I can't help you with.

S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
OK, was going through my pics of my last years attic find, looking for Micro Probe details (see other thread here on YORF ).

it's ST7, 3/32" balsa fins, has CHROME vacuplated cone, not painted.... ( white plastic cone ).

I have NEVER seen this cone , or know who made it, so unsure the kit origin either.

these 53 birds , and some late 1968 engines, were found, wrapped in 1972 newspapers, in a local attic. in the fall of 2008.

lot of nice parts, warped fins, early kits and scratchbuilts, plus many that might be plan-built, if the plans could be found ( mostly military type rockets - sidewinder,seahawk,etc )

any thoughts.

pic 1 = rocket asking about above, chrome cone

other pics are teaser shots the day I brought em home, filled the entire porch railing of my duplex :)

Green Dragon 10-23-2009 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Al,

The rocket body and fins looks like a Centuri 'Chuter 2' minus the payload section. The nose cone I can't help you with.

S.

That's exactly what I had thought, however, the Chuter 2 is ST8.. this one is only ST7

will have to poke around and see what I can turn up . might be scratchbuilt, using same finplan as the Chuter 2... but that still does not explain the origin of the chrome nosecone - anyone ever seen one of those ???

~ AL

Ltvscout 10-23-2009 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon

I think it's some type of scratch built using Chuter 2 fins. Dunno where that cone came from though. I don't recall Centuri having any chrome cones.

Chas Russell 10-23-2009 08:25 AM

Sneeking a look at YORF here at work. There was a company in the late'60's-early '70s called BOMAR. I seem to recall they had chrome cones. Anyway, it might be something to look into. I have a catalog and it is probably up on ninfinger.org.

Back to work!

Chas

jbuscaglia 10-23-2009 08:46 AM

Looks a bit like an ASP-IV. Plans from NARTS available on YORP here. Not sure about the cone, though.

Chas Russell 10-23-2009 09:07 AM

Okay, it was driving me to distraction. Ninfinger.org has the 1969 catalog posted. Bomar had a plain and a chrome plastic nose cone. The chrome is the CNC-1 fitting tubes 0.715 ID and 0.755 OD. The length is listed at 3.5"

Could very well be what that nose cone is.

Chas

Royatl 10-23-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Sneeking a look at YORF here at work. There was a company in the late'60's-early '70s called BOMAR. I seem to recall they had chrome cones. Anyway, it might be something to look into. I have a catalog and it is probably up on ninfinger.org.

Back to work!

Chas

BOMAR is what I was thinking.

As I recall they had three nose cones, all one diameter. Two plastic, one pine. The plastic ones were the same shape, one white and the other chrome plated.

And the shape was somewhat distinctive in that it stayed a cylinder for a small distance above the shoulder.

here it is:

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ca.../69bomar14.html

Green Dragon 10-23-2009 08:44 PM

YAY !!!!!

Checked the site, and then measured the cone... 3.5" includes the shoulder.

it IS the distinctive shape ( cylindrical,then semi-ogive) and I am CERTAIN this is the Bomar cone :D

thanks guys !!!!!!!

now, on to the bird itself - I checked the plan for the ASP 4, looks like that , I will have to print that and check the fin patterns ( my printer is doa, so have to use on in the office ;) .

my tube length is 11 7/8", so slightly shorter then the plan lists.

will keep posted .

~ AL

ps: if someone wanted to pull a mold off the cone, let me know .....