Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   FreeForAll (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Model Rockets will be on Auction Hunters (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=11273)

JumpJet 06-19-2012 01:37 PM

Model Rockets will be on Auction Hunters

This email was sent to the local rocket clubs today. I removed the senders name.

John Boren

The TV show we taped in at the Pueblo launch site this past January is on this week.

Check out the "Auction Hunters" TV show on the Spike cable network on Wednesday, June 20 at 9/8c (check http://www.spike.com/shows/auction-hunters for local listings). The rocketry episode is called "Little Ton Jones."

Thanks for all your support on this show. I can't wait to see how rocketry is going to be portrayed.

Please pass this on to your friends and post on facebook. If the show gets good ratings, other TV producers may also want to do shows about rocketry.

May the winds be calm,
May the skies be blue,
And may all your rockets fly straight and true!

UCBadger 06-19-2012 02:11 PM

As will Vern Estes! (So we have been told by someone involved with the project)

sandman 06-19-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
This email was sent to the local rocket clubs today. I removed the senders name.

John Boren

The TV show we taped in at the Pueblo launch site this past January is on this week.

Check out the "Auction Hunters" TV show on the Spike cable network on Wednesday, June 20 at 9/8c (check http://www.spike.com/shows/auction-hunters for local listings). The rocketry episode is called "Little Ton Jones."

Thanks for all your support on this show. I can't wait to see how rocketry is going to be portrayed.

Please pass this on to your friends and post on facebook. If the show gets good ratings, other TV producers may also want to do shows about rocketry.

May the winds be calm,
May the skies be blue,
And may all your rockets fly straight and true!

Just looked at the sneak peak. That is definitively Tim Van Millagan at the end.

jetlag 06-19-2012 03:28 PM

Exerpt from Tim Van Milligan's newsletter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
Just looked at the sneak peak. That is definitively Tim Van Millogan at the end.

Tim's quote from his news letter:

"Auction Hunters TV Show ? It is About the Thrill of Model Rockets!

Apogee Components and model rockets will be on cable TV tomorrow night! Cool, huh?

Check out the "Auction Hunters" TV show on the Spike cable network on
Wednesday, June 20 at 9/8c (check http://www.spike.com/shows/auction-hunters for local
listings). The episode is called "Little Ton Jones."

"What is this about?", you ask.

Earlier this year, I was asked to participate on the Auction Hunters TV show as a
rocketry expert. The TV crew came out to Colorado, and we filmed the episode in January.
Even though it was the dead of winter, we were blessed with a perfect launch day, as the
weather was warm enough that we could wear short-sleeve shirts.

Due to contractual reasons with the show's producers, I can't tell you exactly what the
show is about. Obviously, they don't want me to give away the ending until after the show
has been aired. But I can tell you that I believe the show will put rocketry in a good
light by capturing the essence and excitement of the hobby. The Auction Hunters TV show
likes to capture the essence of the history of the objects they find in storage units. I
think they did a good job on this one, because they had cameras set up in all sorts of
locations, so it would be next to impossible for them not to get some great shots. For
that reason alone, you should tell all your friends to watch this show. Let's give them
good ratings, so that other shows about rocketry will be created.

If you've never watched the program, the show star's are Clinton "Ton" Jones
and Allen Haff. These guys are great and I'm sure you're going to love them. And even
though they are big TV stars, they are both as down-to-earth as anyone you'd meet at a
normal rocket launch. And they both have rocketry experience, which just goes to show you
how popular the hobby really is.

This episode also features someone else you'll recognize: Mr. Vern Estes. I suggested to
the show's producers that he be included, since he was only a few miles down the road
from where we were filming. They jumped at the chance to have a real rocketry legend on
the show. Hence, this is another reason you should get your friends to watch: Vern is
awesome!

I'm scared to watch myself on TV, since I don't consider myself very photogenic. I have a
hard time watching my own How-To Videos, to tell you the truth. But I was assured by both
Ton and Allen that if the show actually made it to TV, that the editors would keep me
from looking like a goofball. I'm sure they had their work cut out for them...

After the show has been aired, I'll be able to fill you in a lot more about what actually
happened on the range. There was a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff that is just as
interesting as what went on in front of the camera.

Finally, I would like to thank the members of the local rocketry club (S.C.O.R.E.
www.scronline.net) and other rocketeers from the state of Colorado. They were
indispensable with the production of this TV show episode. If the actual show turns out
as great as I hope, it is largely due to their efforts. Rocketeers are the greatest
people on the planet, and I'm truly honored to be associated with them. "

tbzep 06-19-2012 06:58 PM

I've got my PVR set. :cool:

pantherjon 06-20-2012 07:07 AM

Ditto...DirecTV lists episode coming on at 9:30PM..Will be recording both 9PM and 9:30PM ones to make sure I get it:)

tbzep 06-20-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherjon
Ditto...DirecTV lists episode coming on at 9:30PM..Will be recording both 9PM and 9:30PM ones to make sure I get it:)

Same here on the time 8:30 central.

Cohetero-negro 06-20-2012 12:18 PM

I have seen this show before ... decent.

I remember the episode where they found a $10,000.00 Turbine R/C Viper Jet, MINT in the unit along with a few other planes. What a score for just $1000.00!

Here is another thought, and I apologize that it centers around me ... not trying to toot my own horn, or say look at me, give me attention; personally I like the hand that writes and quickly moves away...

But I also am in a precarious position in that I have storage units that could someday end up going to the highest bidder for very little money and contain valuables inside as I am sure others here on this site have the same issue in their lives.

A cheese puff jar full of composite motors (this was in the Auction Hunter video clip) ... take that to a couple Rubbermaid 30 gallon bins in my case along with boxes of other motors ... kits, plastic, r/c, rocket, professional models, even a couple 11 foot tall Atlas Centaur fibreglass models that used to greet visitors at the General Dynamics building in Boulder CO for almost 30 years ... its very stressful. Like I have said in the past, its a burden/compulsion/disorder that is most likely shortening my lifespan and I don't want to reach a situation where some greedy *******s who care NOTHING about model rocketry except making a quick buck off of it, have at my items ... vultures.

This stuff needs to find a more permanent home, or I need to win the lotto and build a REAL museum for this and other stuff from others who understand what I and others go through.

Its really sad ... sad because when I attend public auctions and go through box lots, you find pictures of people being married, heading off to war, at diners, birthday cards, personal items ... all discarded as trash ... one's life just put in a box and either parsed out for profit or placed on the curb as refuse.

Jonathan

Cohetero-negro 06-20-2012 12:23 PM

P.s. what they don't tell you about this show and others like, 'Storage Wars', is that for every profitable storage find, there are 9 others where you LOOSE money.

You are never allowed to pass the plane of the front door of the unit. You have to guess and hope that the guitar case you see actually holds a guitar or the case itself may have value. That chest you see under stacks of boxes might contain confederate money or the corpses of fetuses as was an ACTUAL situation that happened years ago right here in Arizona.

Oh, and greater the probability that the unit contains valuables as visually seen, the more you are going to have to pay and risk.

Better off selling hot dogs out in the Home Depot parking lot. No really ... I know two older women who do this at my local Home Depot and they are very well off ... ever see a hot dog stand hitched to either a brand new Lexus of Mercedes? I have at my local Home Depot.

tbzep 06-20-2012 12:37 PM

Jonathan,

I know you'd like your collection to go to a museum, and I hope it becomes a reality someday. However, the chances a museum would display it are fairly slim.

With that in mind, give this some thought. If you can't get a museum to take it, you could put it in your will to donate the collection to the NAR. The NAR might be able to get the stuff into a museum, but what I'm thinking is for the NAR to auction off the collection. Auction it one item at a time to use for grants to schools, scholarships, international competitions, or whatever specific areas you would like it to be spent. If auctioned individually, I believe they could get a higher dollar amount and the items can be spread out over several different national meets (especially old motors that can't be shipped), or via the internet.