Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Projects (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   eRockets build night (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19923)

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-22-2021 08:48 AM

eRockets build night

So, one of those left-handed gifts from the gods occurred this week and I have to work late today to cover for my boss. That means a) I got to sleep past 4:30 this morning, and b) I didn't have to be in bed by 8:30 last night. To be honest, I was pretty pumped about both a & b, but b afforded me the opportunity to attend the build session at eRockets, so that gets the nod. Two solid hours of rocket talk and, more importantly, rocket work. I finished a new D.O.M. Orbital Transport Laboratory to replace the one that hit a car and got run over last spring. It should be flightworthy by Saturday, which is the next scheduled WSR launch. I also picked up an Estes Freefall and scavenged the fin can for my MX Missile clone, which should also be ready for Saturday. Now I have to think of something to do with the body tube and nose cone for the Freefall. That likely won't fly on Saturday. I cut out the pieces for a new AMROCS Wombat, but only got minimal gluing done on that. It still might fly on Saturday. Finally I installed the cluster mount on the Stickershock Der Vader Max, did that fill & finish thing we do AND located the decal set. Gonna have to push hard, but I think I can get it flightworthy by Saturday. If you should find yourself in Dayton on a Tuesday night, I can heartily recommend a stop at eRockets for a couple of hours of intense rocket therapy. Even better, get to Dayton in the morning, tour Museum of Flight at Wright-Patt, which is a scant few miles up the road. Good times. Noodle salad.

tbzep 09-22-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I finished a new D.O.M. Orbital Transport Laboratory

Pics or it didn't happen!

ghrocketman 09-22-2021 10:52 AM

Sounds like a blast, Bill.
Unfortunately I'm 4.5 hours away from Dayton and doing it on a Tuesday isn't in the cards for me.
Would be a really fun evening though.
I can build a lot in two hours.

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-22-2021 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Pics or it didn't happen!

Oh, there will be pics. :cool:

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-22-2021 01:15 PM

Forgot to mention that another benefit of the build sessions is the ability to figure out what mystery tube you used when trying to clone a Kopter Dart from scrap pieces. I had what I assumed to be a balsa connector that connected a BT-55 to a BT-50, but the BT-50 nose cone didn't fit into the tube. Last night I found out that the mystery tube was an ST-8 and was able to buy a cone to fit it. All I need to do now is find a 24mm engine mount and the Dart will likely fly on Saturday.

ghrocketman 09-22-2021 02:26 PM

Isn't ST8 smaller than 24mm ?
Not sure you're going to find that mount...

BEC 09-22-2021 02:48 PM

Agree with GH here. ST-8 is about 23mm OD. Not gonna get a 24mm motor inside that....

tbzep 09-22-2021 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Agree with GH here. ST-8 is about 23mm OD. Not gonna get a 24mm motor inside that....

Use a bigger hammer. :chuckle:

A Fish Named Wallyum 09-22-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Isn't ST8 smaller than 24mm ?
Not sure you're going to find that mount...

:rolleyes: I had an ST-8 to BT-55 transition. The motor mount might go in the section of BT-55.

Royatl 09-23-2021 09:09 PM

ST-8 is just fine for those good ol' D18's from FSI! What? You don't have any D18's?? Lucky you!