Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Ye Olde Rocket Forum (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/index.php)
-   Mission Control (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   New NRC Contest Year Kick Off Launch 2021 (http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=19682)

fulldec 07-12-2021 10:20 AM

New NRC Contest Year Kick Off Launch 2021

As we did after last NARAM, we will be having an NRC launch of the first day of the new contest year (on the heels of NARAM-62), Saturday, July 31st, in Geneseo, NY. I expect this to be a low key, self run event. Many of the NARAM-62 and last year's NRC models could be flown in this year's events.*

This launch comes with same ground rules as last time.
• This would be a B(Bring or Borrow)YO range gear-type event, ie launchers (I expect those could be shared), altimeter readers(I have a Firefly reader for us), stopwatches, payloads, etc, since the NARAM equipment will have to be packed up the day before. This shouldn't be a big deal for this crowd.
• I will provide entry cards, flight cards, some stopwatches, and digital thermometer. I will not have a computer to read altimeters. If you need one, best bring one. If someone volunteers to bring one to share, that would be helpful.

There is no cost to flying this event and no formal preregistration. I will buy eggs for those flying eggloft, so please let me know if you intend to fly eggloft.

I plan to start around 10 am and run until 2 (or until flyers quit flying). If you want to start earlier, let me know. I will be camping on the field, so it is not a big deal.

I have volunteered to be the CD for the event. I would like to get an idea of how many will be participating. If you think you would stick around and likely get yourself in the Top 10 nationally, please send me a note at fulldec2001@yahoo.com and let me know.

As a*reminder, I've listed the 2021-2022 NRC*events below. We had a lot of fun last time we did this, I look forward to seeing everyone again.

Thanks all,

Don Carson, NAR#11069

2021-2022 NRC Events
1/4A Streamer Duration
1/2A Rocket/Glide
A Parachute Duration
A Helicopter Duration
B Eggloft Altitude
B Altitude
Sport Scale

BEC 07-12-2021 12:27 PM

I hope you guys have a good time doing this again. I think this event was the most fun I had at NARAM-61 because it was so relaxed yet competitive.

ghrocketman 07-12-2021 01:22 PM

It would be nice to see the following events back that were common in the 70's.
F Eggloft
E Eggloft
D Boost Glide
F Boost Glide

Seeing contests limited to B engines max of all events is unimpressive...

georgegassaway 07-12-2021 02:25 PM

In the last 10 years, there have been NARAMs with G (!) Eggloft, E DUAL Eggloft altitude, G Streamer Duration, G Helicopter Duration, C Flex-wing Duration, and D Rocket Glide. And D Superroc, twice.

Where the heck were you?

Also in the last 20 years, NARAMs with F Superroc, G(!) Superroc, and F Dual Eggloft Duration.

Where the heck were you?

Also, anyone can CD a contest with ANY “Pink Book” event in it, not just NRC.

Why don’t you run a contest with those events you want, and post the results of your flights here?

PaulK 07-17-2021 06:57 AM

Looking forward to some new NRC events. The tough one for us with small fields is "B Altitude", it'll be tough to be competitive with flyers that have large recovery areas. Unless we want to lose a lot of altimeters. :eek:

fulldec 07-17-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
Looking forward to some new NRC events. The tough one for us with small fields is "B Altitude", it'll be tough to be competitive with flyers that have large recovery areas. Unless we want to lose a lot of altimeters. :eek:

I’ve seen some pretty minimal recovery systems in the Payload event qualified as safe recoveries. Just sayin’

PaulK 07-17-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulldec
I’ve seen some pretty minimal recovery systems in the Payload event qualified as safe recoveries. Just sayin’
No payload this time. The NAR record is correction 1588' (1755' is the non-altimeter record). I don't expect to get anywhere close to that, but still, it'll need enough streamer to spot at that altitude, then hope it stays on the field, since it won't weight much more than an empty motor casing.

BEC 07-17-2021 03:57 PM

Agree that B Alt/alt is going to be a tough one for a lot of sites.

The C division B Alt/alt record is "only" 1588 feet (set by the late Jonathan Dunbar). But with such a tiny model (two-stage 13mm is what he used) finding the durn thing is going to be "fun".

PaulK 07-17-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
Agree that B Alt/alt is going to be a tough one for a lot of sites.

The C division B Alt/alt record is "only" 1588 feet (set by the late Jonathan Dunbar). But with such a tiny model (two-stage 13mm is what he used) finding the durn thing is going to be "fun".
Hah, I was looking at the non-altimeter record - I've corrected my original post. Since that was done with a MicroPeak, there's potential to surpass that with the new FlightSketch comp.

BEC 07-17-2021 09:15 PM

Yes, there is....again if you can find the thing.... :eek: